The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What brand is this PSG ??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 3:37 am    

Looks like a shobud changer?? Could it be a
Marlen...
https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40112-S000148543/used-pedal-steel

Pw

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 4:38 am    

That is an old Marlen that started out as a pull/release. Someone put the Sho-Bud changer on, and changed the undercarriage and pickup. It probably sounds pretty good.

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 10:45 am    

WOW! $500.00 for shipping! MAN, they really want a local pick up!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 12:14 pm    

Stay away from Music Go Round. They are a complete rip-off. Look at the outrageous shipping charges they charge. I wouldn't trust them at all. I ordered something from them before. Can't remember what right now, but it didn't work. They don't stand behind their sales.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 8:14 am    

I would stay away from Music Go Round also. I believe that is a Marrs fretboard. May be a Marrs or a Sho-bud that Marrs upgraded. Marlen used musical notes for fretboard and I haven't seen that inlay on a Marlen.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 9:01 am    

It’s a Marlen cabinet. I had the exact same inlay and it’s configuration on a new, D-10 Marlen that I picked up from Leonard Stadler in the late 60’s. However, my end plates had straight edges, unlike the cutaway design as shown that was a little earlier. He had both end plate designs whenever my guitar was built, probably during a changeover/update period. Mine was a pull release and someone has converted this one to all pull with a Sho~Bud changer. Note: Marlen fretboards had musical note designs/markings.

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 10:18 am    

Jerry. You're right. Those are the end plates that were used in the mid 60's. I haven't seen that inlay before. I read on a forum thread that Duane Marrs used to upgrade older Sho-buds with his own changer after he left Sho-bud. I wonder if he could have put a new changer and worked on the undercarriage.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 10:56 am    

That cabinet is exactly like my Marlen from the late 60’s, same two-tone color and inlay. It’s been a long time but if I remember correctly, I called to order a guitar and Leonard told me he had just finished one and the buyer had changed their mind for some reason unknown to me. So, I drove down there and picked it up. I had never seen that inlay design prior to that day and certainly not in that configuration on the top as well as the aprons. I’ve searched for my old D-10 Marlen for years but never have found it, eventually gave up. If not for the end plate design on the guitar, I would think that is possibly how mine ended up. My Marlen was stolen in Ashland, KY in 1978 but luckily, the police found it and I got it back. I foolishly sold it about a year later to someone in Huntington, WV. I’m sure that guitar began life as a D-10. It could very well be Duane’s work given the Sho~Bud changer and Marrs fretboard. Either way, I would think that guitar is capable of producing a great tone in the hands of a good player. Guitars like this one interest me, would like to know it’s history.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 2:33 pm     What brand is this PSG

Jerry
I would contact the store and see if that was your guitar. I don't know it ended up in Wisconsin but you never know I can investigate for you I know slot of players up north

P.w

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 2:53 pm    

Paul, thank you however, the police found and returned the Marlen to me and I sold it about a year later to someone in Huntington, WV. That’s in the tri-state area of KY, WV & OH. It most likely remained in one of those states. I would have liked to purchase it back but it never surfaced again.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 6:28 am    

They would have an easier time selling it if they posted pics of the undercarriage mechanics
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 9:58 am    

Jerry

Thanks for the cool story. It would be nice to know the history. You mentioning Leonards store caused a nice memory.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 5:39 am    

Patrick Huey wrote:
They would have an easier time selling it if they posted pics of the undercarriage mechanics

Not really, as those early models were the worst Marlens. The cross-shafts were too skinny, and the plastic bearings Leonard used were about the cheapest you could buy. This was also the era when Leonard did a lot of his work with files and hacksaws, so some of the mechanical parts are rather crudely made and irregular.

In short, this isn't a good 'un to own.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 7:20 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Patrick Huey wrote:

Not really, as those early models were the worst Marlens. The cross-shafts were too skinny, and the plastic bearings Leonard used were about the cheapest you could buy. This was also the era when Leonard did a lot of his work with files and hacksaws, so some of the mechanical parts are rather crudely made and irregular.

In short, this isn't a good 'un to own.

Danny, wow thanks for the info. Good that prospective buyers know that. I did see that they have since posted photos of the undercarriage. It would be good if you could take a glance and see if that’s the case as I am not very steel parts savy couldn’t tell much one way or another.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 7:37 am    

There are pictures of the undercarriage - not great ones, but if you scroll the pictures to the right, you'll see them.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 1:24 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
There are pictures of the undercarriage - not great ones, but if you scroll the pictures to the right, you'll see them.

Yes, I sent them a message asking them to add pics of the underside last week and they have since added those you mentioned, Dave. From what I could see they seem to be poor quality photos. Possible poor quality because the undercarriage looks a little raunchy to me....dirty needs cleaning something lol good quality photos would highlight a number of issues possibly?