The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Behringer Sale and Advice?
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 4:33 pm    

I'm ordering a Behringer UT300 tremolo pedal tonight from Sweetwater. Looks like the whole line is only $19 bucks today.

Any other notable Behringer Pedals that I should scoop up at that price? Maybe their TU300 Tuner?

Regarding effects I don't want to duplicate, I've already got a Klon-style overdrive, Fuzz-Face style overdrive, TC Nova Delay, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, and a Dano Fish and Chips EQ.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 7:03 pm    

https://youtu.be/ApJZa8yCMCQ

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 3:58 am    

Tal Herbsman wrote:
https://youtu.be/ApJZa8yCMCQ

Thanks for sharing that! Exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. Kind of blows my mind that the owner of a JHS would be willing to A/B another brand's pedals and speak positively of them. Especially a bargain brand like Behringer.

A couple things I learned that I didn't know that folks might want to know.
1) Over half of them are not copies of current pedals but rather clones of VERY expensive vintage and/or collectible pedals.

2) The copies of analog pedals are mostly spot-on, but their copies of digital pedals are somewhat different than their inspirations.

At this point I've only ordered the Tremolo pedal but I've got my eye on a few more now. I'd certainly be curious to know if any steel players here are using any of them.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 5:01 am    

I had a Behringer DR400 Reverb/Delay pedal that I recently sold. Its a knock off of the Boss RV3. But its better than an RV3. I tried several, new, RV3's and didn't like them. I liked the DR400 and carried it as a backup for other units, just it was a casualty of downsizing.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 6:04 am    

Totally agree with Jack. Currently using a Behringer 'DR400', have it set up at our rehearsal space. Actually prefer it over the 'RV3' also (several of which I have owned over the years), shame that the "DR400" is no longer being produced...FWIW: At their price point the separate delay and reverb pedals are fairly good as well, keep both units in my Pac-seat as backups.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 7:12 am    

I watched that JHS vid a while ago and it was somewhat eye-opening. I had always regarded B as pirates. I'm still not 100% positive that it isn't a deserved label. But it does not mean that they aren't also manufacturers of significant products. They also own other labels and cannot be dismissed in the market.
It's also worth subscribing to that JHS channel. The guy is entertaining and if you are a stomp box junkie, it is worth the occasional deep dive.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 10:11 am    

I'm a DR400 fan as well. It appears to have been superceded by a DR600 with A and B inputs. I would imagine it's at least as good.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 6:30 pm    

Tremolo UT300 arrived. I really like it. Just have to decide which of my singer's songs I'm going to use it in.
I've never had a Tremolo pedal before but it's giving me a real Morricone vibe.

Cool to hear that folks like the DR400 Reverb Delay, but it appears to be out of production. Looks like we now have the DR600 Reverb and the VD400 delay.

The DR600 is tempting though I already have the Fender Marine Layer pedal and spring reverb in both of my amps.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 6:39 pm    

The SF300 which is a clone of the Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz which is based on the legendary Univox Super Fuzz octave fuzz but with full Eq control instead of a flat and scooped mode found on the original.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2021 11:59 am    

Just picked up another Behringer Pedal. In this case it's the "Vintage Phaser" which costs more than the plastic case Behringer pedals at retail but I got it used for about the same.

Really like it. Not alot of variety but a very pleasant sound. Also, it doesn't overdrive when I push 3+ notes through it. It will replace my Blood Mod (a TC /Behringer product) which was cool sounding and quite variable but would be overdriven by the steel.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 3:09 pm    

I've also owned a few Behringer products. I even had 4 of their rack units in my home studio, never had any problems with any of them. I sold all 4 of the Behringer rack units for $25 each. I sort of considered them as throw away units. At $99 new for most of the ones i had, if they stop working you toss'em. And by the way, their Shure SM58 knock off microphone is just dandy, i bought a couple as backups. I paid $19 each for a durn good mic. Behringer also builds the Bugera line of tube amps. I've never owned or played through one. But I've said it before, and i'll say it again, "If they had made Behringer back when i started playing, i would have bought their products." Instead of having to use old, worn out, beat to death, unreliable hand me downs.

Just one of Behringer's manufacturing complex. I read someplace, that Behringer built an entire town for their employees and their families.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2021 4:20 pm    

I will never buy anything from Behringer -- back in the 00's, they routinely stole designs from other companies and undercut their prices -- I used to sell chips to OEM product designers like Mackie and I have a lot of sympathy for them -- to have a company come along and blatantly steal their designs, PC boards, graphics, even web pages -- no thanks, I don't support that.

Background here:
https://reverb.com/news/the-true-stories-behind-6-famous-gear-lawsuits

https://cdm.link/2009/09/behringers-latest-rip-off-job-apple-com/

https://cdm.link/2009/09/on-behringers-track-record-value-and-copies/

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 7:10 am    

George,
I agree with you! Very Happy
Erv

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 2:52 pm    

I remember the days of blatant copies from Behringer. What follows is not so much a defense of them as reasons why I don't get too worked up about their behavior.

They did push the legal boundaries quite a bit earlier but they have generally moved to items that at least visually have their own look. However, woe betide any company that rests on it's laurels with legacy products though. If it isn't legally protected Behringer might make it at a lower price point.

As for their pedals it's been interesting to see how while they still copy some current production stuff, they've moved in many situations to copies of OOP stuff that is highly desired but way to expensive on the vintage market. Acquiring TC Electronics also led to developing alot of interesting stuff that isn't a straight clone. The pedal market (and amp market for that matter) as a whole is rife with companies cloning each other's circuits and designs with only minor tweaks or no tweaks at all.

I understand some why folks avoid them, but I'm fine having a few Behringer items in my collection, especially for peripheral stuff I don't use often. For stuff I rely on I generally prefer to buy a higher quality brand used.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2021 8:28 pm    

I don't get bent out of shape about it neither ya know. Look at all the MAJOR guitar companies who have basically copied a Les Paul,Telecaster, Flying V and other body shapes. Does it make it right? Suppose not, but it's done everyday. Look at all the Fender amp clones. I mean....sheesh give it a break. No one is twisting anyones arm here. I simply suggest if ya cain't afford a $200 Reverb Pedal, git one for $50 and move along. Yes.... i like Robert Randolph to. [Posted Under Duress Against My Will]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 12:19 am    

I currently have a Vintage VD 400 Delay pedal in my small 3 pc pedal case, I bought it for "$29 new" as a place holder after my much more expensive delay pedal died. This was 2 years ago.

2 things of note, its got a plastic body ( who cares) and the knob labels are confusing, actually opposite compared to other Delay pedals. I thought is was deflective. Its not. I relabeled the knobs and all is well. It performs as well as any other higher priced stomp delay pedal.

If it dies I'll grab another in a NY minute ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 2:18 am    

I downsized my home recording studio to a smaller (less channels) recording interface unit (I use MOTU hardware). Then I get a recording job that required more than 4 channels. I used a Behringer UMC1820, 8 analog preamps, recording interface unit for the project. The Behringer preamps did as good (sounded the same) as the high $$ MOTU and even had the same low recording latency!

(I have two MOTU units and one is for sale at bargain price on forum).

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 6:45 am    

I'd like to find a Behringer CC300 or a TC Electronics 3rd Dimension for cheap.
They are supposed to be clones of the old Boss Dimension C chorus.

I saw a schematic of the Boss once.
If it was correct, it was stereo.
However, it has a separate chorus for the left and right.
I saw a demo on YT and it was super lush sounding.

Boss has reissued their Dimension as one of the Waza series.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 9:22 am    

I'll repost this entry I added to a similar thread some time ago.

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
It seems Behringer has become the whipping boy for reverse engineering.

There's nothing new here. This has been going on for decades.

I know of at least one product from the 80s that has 4 or 5 different brand labels even though they are the same electronically.

Even so, many of the similar electronic devices all use the same components and some the same circuitry.

Hardly anything is completely engineered and built from the ground up these days. Many electronic designs are borrowed from other proven ones.

Look at the pedal steel industry as well. How many all pull guitars use the same mechanics and configuration that they took from someone else? No different...or the plethora of Tele® clones for heaven's sake.

It's no different than those solderless Geo. L's knock off plugs that you're hawking over there Erv. You know, pot/kettle, glass houses, etc.

Uli Behringer had some great ideas, then took the easier and more profitable road to chinese manufacture just like everybody else. I dunno why he's always singled out as the solo bad guy.

In my circle, there is Behringer all over the place...both in FOH gear, on the guitar, bass and keyboard backline and accessories departments. If they made steel friendly amps and gear, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. We have no more problems with their gear than anyone else'. MOF, it's all been very dependable.

Their DR400 combo rev/delay stomp is very popular, or was until it was discontinued, and was less than 1/3 the cost of the Roland equivalent...but just try and find one...no one that owns them is giving them up.

I understand if you've had problems with it in the past and/or not wanting to use it if you don't like it, but I think it's a mistake to dismiss it based solely on the brand name. JMO.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 2:12 pm    

I came across some photo's of the old Behringer rack units that i had in my studio. I sold each one of these rack units for $25 each, to some kids that have a band, and play that Gothic Death Dark Metal (music) stuff. Now what they plan to do with them is anyone's guess. I never asked them, and they never said. They invited me to stay and "check them out on a trip or two". They gave me their album, i politely thanked them, and said "maybe later dudes".....and left.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 5:07 am    

ajm wrote:
I'd like to find a Behringer CC300 or a TC Electronics 3rd Dimension for cheap.
They are supposed to be clones of the old Boss Dimension C chorus.

I saw a schematic of the Boss once.
If it was correct, it was stereo.
However, it has a separate chorus for the left and right.
I saw a demo on YT and it was super lush sounding.

Boss has reissued their Dimension as one of the Waza series.

Yes and the waza has stereo in and out unlike the mono in stereo out of the original. It sounds massively lush on keyboards like a DX7. The waza also has a selector that makes the effect sound closer to the roland chorus rack unit the boss pedal is based on. If you've ever wanted the legendary Roland Jazz Chorus amp chorus in a pedal this is it.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2021 5:52 am    

John Larson wrote: "If you've ever wanted the legendary Roland Jazz Chorus amp chorus in a pedal this is it."

I believe that the Dimension pedals and the Jazz Chorus amps use two different methods.

The Dimension pedals have a separate chorus circuit on each side (R,L). Two separate delay lines, clock circuits, etc.

The JC amps have a single chorus circuit and it affects only one side/speaker. One side/speaker is always dry.
Peavey also did it this way on some/many of their 80s-90s era amps that had built in chorus.

Most stereo chorus pedals have a single delay/clock circuit to effect the signal. The "stereo" is achieved by inverting the phase of one of the outputs.

There have been several ways to do stereo chorusing over the years. I don't know if there is any one way that is better than another.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 9:18 pm    

.... aaannd this is all still going on in 2021:

1. After Auratone's founder died and the family did not renew the trademark, Behringer just went and tried to steal it -- now a judge told them they can't do that

https://www.musictech.net/news/industry/auratone-defends-trademark-from-music-tribe/

2. They trademarked (stole) the personal name of a music tech journalist they didn't like and ridiculed him even to the point of making a mock-up of a fake product with his image (that mock-up incredibly was itself stolen) -- (yes, they tried to steal the man's name that his parents gave him)

https://www.musictech.net/news/is-this-how-behringer-responds-to-criticism/

3. They have been trying to steal things from Tom Oberheim, even listing Oberheim as one of their brands, and stealing the Oberheim and OB-Xa names

https://www.musictech.net/news/music/us-patent-office-rejects-behringer-oberheim-trademark/?amp

Behringer is a bunch of Eurotrash D-bags who are incredibly arrogant, dysfunctional with an incredible, multi-decade history of dishonesty. I want nothing to do with them and I would never use their gear.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2021 5:49 am    

George,
Thank you for telling it like it is! Very Happy
Erv