The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sound eq
Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 6:51 pm    

i need some advise i have a hearing problem and the acoustics in my church is terible can i plug out of the headphone on the sound system thru a sepparate equilizer and then to headphones where i can adjust the base mids and treble so i can understand what is being said the sound system has so much bass it just reverbarates off the ceiling and drowns out the words i have a six thousand dollar pair of hearing aids with remote control it just makes everything louder if anybody has a fix let me know dont tell me to talk to the person on the board they are young and love the bass and drums and dont really understand the eq on the main board thanks for any help

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 12:50 am    

I am a cochlear implant recipient. I use a small mini mixer.
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Professional-Interface-Mixing-Recording-PylePro-PMXU68BT/dp/B07SW1H1RD/
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 12:52 am    

You can run a line from soundboard to the mixer and steel to mixer and use in ear monitor or headphones and adjust the volume of each separately.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 9:38 am     sound eq

thanks for the info what brand is your eq?

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 10:46 am    

The above Pyle pro

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2021 10:53 am    

And your hearing aids are useless with headphones, because their mics are behind your ear and the headphone sound doesn't reach them. So you have to use outboard EQ for headphones, or don't use headphones.
Your hearsing aids also (I guess you know this) have a program for music that removes the frequency and level compression it uses for speech and pulls in much more high end, but that only works without headphones

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 8:31 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
And your hearing aids are useless with headphones, because their mics are behind your ear and the headphone sound doesn't reach them. So you have to use outboard EQ for headphones, or don't use headphones.
Your hearsing aids also (I guess you know this) have a program for music that removes the frequency and level compression it uses for speech and pulls in much more high end, but that only works without headphones

His hearing aids if newer models should be Bluetooth enabled. With the proper Bluetooth transmitter/streamer you should be able to stream directly into the hearing aids

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 8:46 am    

I have hearing aids and hear perfectly with headphones. I have an Audio Technica AT M50X that I use in my home recording studio and they work OK with hearing aids.

Bluetooth may not be the best way. There's latency (delay).
Bluetooth is OK if just listening, but if you are playing, the latency may throw everything off. I tried Bluetooth headphones in my recording studio and the latency is too much.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 9:47 am    

Problem with streaming into the hearing aids is that the â…›" speaker in the aids has zero bass.

For those who use headphones (which cover the mics on the aids, mostly by pressing your ear in, no matter how big the cups are), do you use outboard EQ to make up for the treble that the hearing aids would normally inject into your ears?

It surely is quite easy to use headphones - but getting good EQ is a problem. If your hearing is compromised to any large degree, you aren't getting what your aids put back into it. The mics are covered....

Have any of you found a way to get good EQ with headphones?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 11:06 am    

I've had good luck mixing and setting sound using AKG K240 Studio headphones. Playback on stereo systems seems to be on target.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 1:22 pm    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
Problem with streaming into the hearing aids is that the â…›" speaker in the aids has zero bass.

For those who use headphones (which cover the mics on the aids, mostly by pressing your ear in, no matter how big the cups are), do you use outboard EQ to make up for the treble that the hearing aids would normally inject into your ears?

It surely is quite easy to use headphones - but getting good EQ is a problem. If your hearing is compromised to any large degree, you aren't getting what your aids put back into it. The mics are covered....

Have any of you found a way to get good EQ with headphones?

As I previously noted, I have NO problem with EQ using headphones and hearing aids. I'm 83 and I hear the same as what I hear on studio monitor speakers.

Steve, my first steel was a used Oahu D-6, probably around 1951.

Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 8:35 pm     sound eq

thanks for all info my hearing aids are in my ear

Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 8:38 pm     sound eq

my hearing aids are bluetooth enabled i may try that