The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Tom Pettingill Lap Steel
Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 6:03 pm    

I am relatively new to lap steels....and have posted about some of my adventures and possible misadventures into the world of lap steels.

First I am a guitarist (mainly Strats and Teles) but my left (fretting) hand is not as strong as was when I was 40 years younger (hell what part of me is lol)....I have a touch of arthritis and nerve damage caused by a bad beak to my left hand....and even though I cannot play as quickly as I once did (although I might be slower I'm smarter and play more efficiently)....but I know I cannot play hurt either as much as I'd like to....so I decided to switch over in part at least to the lap steel.

Luckily I have a good friend who has helped guide me through the beginning steps I've taken....and sometimes I have a habit of running instead of walking....so my first lap steel was a 1956 National student model (a Princess I believe it is called) bought only a while ago....same friend turned me onto the Steel Guitar Forum....and I started reading through not only recent posts but past ones too.

I used to build wood canvas and birch bark canoes....so I know quality in craftmanship when I see it....and the work involved. I love great looking as well as unique instruments to play, such as my custom built birch bark Telecaster:

So as I went through the Steel Guitar Forum posts, I came across the name of the late Tom Pettingill....and saw photos of his work....especially on his still up Facebook page. I was entirely blown away by Tom's work....and really wanted one if I could get one. So I posted in Wanted To Buy that I was looking for a Tom Pettingill lap steel. I got a response and was able to purchase one of Tom's steels....which is my absolute favourite lap steel. And this steel has had an interesting history as I have found out from further research just on this forum.

In a thread about Your favourite Lap steel Is....Tom wrote this about this steel that I am now the custodian of: "Man ... hard for me to pick one, but I'd have to go with this one. Its the second steel I ever made and one I still own and play regularly. I definitely should get some better updated pics taken as it has aged nicely and has a different pickup than in the pic." These are the photos Tom posted with that comment (the one was used in his profile here and on Facebook):

Needless to say I was shocked to find out not only did I have one of Tom's steels....but the second one he made.

I know this steel was owned by Paul Smith at one point. In the thread he had when he was selling it, he described it as such:

"I am the proud owner of 2 Pettengill lapsteel guitars. As some of you know we lost Tom a few years back, which was a HUGE loss to our steel guitar community. Tom was a fine builder of lap steel guitars.

This guitar I have up for sale, is a gorgeous Maple, and Walnut, 25" scale. This has a hand wound pickup made by pickup builder BG pups, its the Hellabucker model pickup, and sounds GREAT.

This comes with a softshell well made Gator case.

The picture shown does not have Tone/volume knobs However it does have Nickel Tele style tone/vol knobs that I installed. This guitar needs nothing and plays and sounds fantastic."

Someone else said if you were looking for "a blues or rock monster, this one is it". I could not agree more.

I want to thank Tom for building such a great steel....for Paul for passing it on even if regretfully....and Aaron Johnson for letting some crazy Canuk newbie buy this amazing instrument even though he had once stated in a post on this steel that he would never let it go....I'm just honoured and happy he did.

So this is just another chapter in the life of an amazing gift from the late Tom Pettingill that just keeps giving so much.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 6:53 pm    

Beautiful guitar! Congratulations! It's like a natural wood version of the old National New Yorker! What's that humbucker-looking pickup without(exposed?) pole pieces?

Good luck with your steel journey... keep slidin'

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 7:14 pm    

Tom was the inspiration for the finishes I put on the 40-50 guitars that I made,,this being the latest,,and probably the last,,,or at least a while before there is another one. This one I finally feel like I have achieved THE finish,,,

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=370091

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 5:32 am    

Tom was an outstanding guitar builder. His attention to detail was impeccable. I’m fortunate enough to own two of his creations. He liked to say his goal was to build his guitars to be loved and last for many years after he was gone. Needless to say, he achieved goal many times over. I miss our conversations.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 1:47 pm    

Congrats on your score......of a Pettingill.

I am fortunate to have 4 of his "babies".

My first one was this one, the Frying Pan Special. It has the BP Pups Hellabucker in the bridge and their Lizard (ultra creamy) in the neck. Kills it for blues and rock.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=165014&highlight=fps001