Author Topic:  Jeffran Email Mentions Fingerpicks *UPDATED*
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2021 5:02 pm    

Now that's funny.... Laughing

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 5:48 am     Another Showcase 1941 endorsement

I've never played w/ pre war Nationals or Jeffran picks, but have been happy w/ Showcase 1941s. I went on the hunt after the Newman picks never launched & found, as others have stated, that the Showcase picks were out of stock w/ retailers. I went to the Showcase site, got Bill Stoke's number, and rang him up. A few sets of picks arrived a coupla weeks later.
We had a long conversation, during which he told me how he had reverse engineered an original pre-war National pick to develop his own. A sample was sacrificed by flattening so a template could be made to exact spec, then a metallurgic test was done to identify the elemental combo that comprised the "German Nickel" that the originals were made of. In sum, if you buy a Showcase 1941, you get a replica of the desired Nationals and you're not out $200 a set.
You COULD gamble w/ Jeffran again, or you could get a National clone that is available today and can be ordered direct from the manufacturer.

http://billstokesshowcase.com/Home.html

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Joel Jackson

Detroit
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2021 6:07 am     Re: I get it

Tommy Auldridge wrote:
Now that's funny.... Laughing

Indeed... nice one Jerry! As to the picks, i bought a pair of the old JF picks from a forum member a while back because i thought i had to have the holy grail. I liked em fine but after trying the National NP2's i gave the JF picks to a friend whos learning to play. I very much preferred the Nationals. As to Melissa and Jeffran Music, the idea that they would ever send me the picks i paid them for 3 years ago is beyond laughable at this point, and why on earth people on this forum would continue to give them money and support is completely beyond me. I mean really, giving your money and business to people you know have been ripping off your fellow players? C'mon now.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 7:15 am     Picks

Well one thing in her favor is she clearly states she isn’t taking “pre orders” (with pre payments) for these new picks that will supposedly be arriving. If it was a scam to make quick cash she would have offered some option requiring some kind of up front payment
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 7:26 am     Picks

Well one thing in her favor is she clearly states she isn’t taking “pre orders” (with pre payments) for these new picks that will supposedly be arriving. If it was a scam to make quick cash she would have offered some option requiring some kind of up front payment
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 10:46 am    

you can also check out Diamond_ti titanium finger picks. Some folks seem to like those ...
https://diamondtipicks.com/
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 12:21 pm    

I think its great that other steel players share the picks they like better than the JF or BJ (Buddy Emmons and Jeff Newman) picks, but the thing of it is, we all have different fingers, hands and picking styles.

I've played with Nationals, Dunlops, and a bunch of other finger picks, but the Jeff Newman picks, especially the earlier ones which were chrome plated, are the ones that worked best for me - no bending, no painful fingertips

When they stopped making those picks, I made an effort to buy a set whenever I could to hopefully last me the rest of my life, so I probably have enough. But don't put down the people who like them and want to have them - as I wrote before, different strokes for different folks.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 16 Jun 2021 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 3:14 pm    

The only change I've ever made is from stainless steel to brass. The brass has some "sproing" to it that makes it easier for me to feel the string. But my local music only carries dunlop and national so that's all I've ever used.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2021 6:45 pm    

The last time I saw Fran Newman at the Dallas steel show, I bought a stack of the Jeff picks from her, so I reckon I have enough to last me for decades to come ... for which I am grateful as I love them, one set usually lasts me for 10 plus years.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2021 4:58 am    

I have ordered courses from Jeffran twice this year. Both times I received fast and accurate service. There were no problems with the quality of the items I ordered. Once she is taking orders, I will try a set of these picks. I know all about the problems everyone has had since Melissa took over, but it looks like she has got things umder control now. Time will tell.

She needs to fill those old unfulfilled orders FIRST.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 3:12 pm    

There are still a very few items I might like to purchase from Jeffran, but as PayPal is not listed any longer as a method of payment, I’ll do without. A few times my lesson orders were incomplete and Melissa made good on them. Until the last time when I had to go through PayPal to get a refund. I also didn’t like the time both my boyfriend and I unknowingly placed separate orders and, seeing it was the same residence, she combined them for shipping but didn’t refund the shipping charge to either of us. I love Jeff’s lesson materials, but from now on I’ll buy them used when I can find them.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2021 12:44 pm    

Showcase picks are hands down the best. I have some of Jeff's picks. Never liked them. They're in a drawer somewhere.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2021 12:28 pm    

I use Dunlops. .

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2021 1:38 pm    

What, exactly, is the thing about Jeff Newman picks that make them so coveted? More comfortable? Shape? I don't know what it is, seriously. I recall when he came out with the picks, but I can't recall what the deal was. Question Question

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2021 2:53 pm    

I bought those picks when they first came out (early 80s maybe) when they were chrome plated and were called BJ picks (Buddy Emmons, Jeff Newman). The picks I used before (going back some decades) were either Dunlop or National because those were the only picks available. Those picks were often uncomfortable on my fingers, and I didn't like the process of trying to bend the top of the pick back to the correct angle. When I tried the BJ picks, they didn't dig into the sides of my fingers. I remember back then Paul Franklin said something about it being better to not have the top of the pick stick too far above the top of your finger. The BJ's were/are pre-bent and seemed to fit like a glove. That was over thirty years ago, and I have used nothing else since.

Everyone's fingers have a different shape. The fingers move differently (compare Lloyd Green to Doug Jernigan), and everyone's fingers hit the strings at a different angle. Therefore everyone has their own favorite picks (and we guard them with our lives

It's bad form put down those who prefer the Jeff Newman picks just as it is bad form to put down someone who prefers an MSA over an Emmons. Let a thousand flowers blossom. Vive la difference!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 1:25 pm    

Has anybody tried to get to the Jeffran website? I Just tried to go to the Jeffran site from a Jun 2021 email notification and I got,"Looks Like This Domain Isn't Connected To A Website Yet!"
Is https://jeffran.shop/shop the current URL?
GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 2:56 pm    

It has been out of service for quite some time now. It would appear as though they are out of business.