The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Augmented chords in C6th
Arthur Dickerson

New Orleans,Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 6:54 am    

I am learning ‘Smoke Gets in Your Eyes’ in E flat and there is a short passage that goes E flat, E flat augmented, A flat, E flat diminished. The augmented is my problem. On the E 9th I can carefully bring my A pedal halfway up to get the augmented I chord and then a and b all the way up to get to the IV chord. Is there a way to do this on the C6th? If only my 5th string could be raised a half-step. So far I have had the best luck just pulling on the 5th string behind the bar but I lack the skills to make it sound smooth. I can also, on the C6th get the three tones for an augmented by using the 6 and 7 pedals, but there are a lot of conflicting tones in there with the ones I want. Any suggestions for other augmented voicing?
Sierra artist series s10

Arthur Dickerson

Post  Posted 18 May 2021 7:50 am    

Well I can get from e flat to the augmented by playing b flat with the 6 pedal and then adding the c to c# which I have on my lkl. Still trying to slide into the Aflat maj7. I searched for C6th augmented voicing on the Forum. Guess I should have started there.
Sierra artist series s10

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 12:12 pm    

Pedal 5 + Bb kl two frets below. So Eb Aug would be on 1st fret. It can also repeat every 4 frets !

Arthur Dickerson

Post  Posted 18 May 2021 1:46 pm    

Hey John thanks. I must be doing something wrong or I am not playing the right strings. I get to b flat from a half-step raise on my a 4th string. And my 5 lowers the 5th string. Are you set up differently than I am? Open on the third fret gives me the Eflat chord: b flat- g- e flat-c- b flat-g-eflat-c- aflat - with b flat ont he bottom. Down two frets pressing the 5 and raising the astring lever up one half-step I get Aflat-f-d flat- bnatural gnat-f--dflat-bflat-gflat-dflat. Is that right or am I going at it wrong? It’s a nice sounding chord regardless although I’ll feel better about using when I understand it better. I realize you can explain it to me but you can’t understand it for me, but I try
Sierra artist series s10

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 5:46 am    

Arthur, I view each pedal on open strings, so pedal 5 gives a D 9 with A string the fifth. Raising the A string is the plus 5. Root is on the 10th string.

Arthur Dickerson

Post  Posted 19 May 2021 10:22 am    

There’s the rub. My 5 pedal doesn’t raise the 10 string a whole note. I imagine I’ll be looking for some pull rods and such. Thanks for solving that mystery. And I appreciate you taking the time.
Cheers
Sierra artist series s10

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 11:47 am    

I also have kl that lowers 6th string E-D giving me root in the middle of the chord ala Doug Jernigan.

Arthur Dickerson

Post  Posted 20 May 2021 8:01 am    

Hey John. Now you’re making my guitar have an inferiority complex. but I did see that I had the pull rods in place to engage the lower notes on the 5 pedal. Obviously I don’t spend enough time on the low strings (im kind of intimidated messing under the hood with push-pull but with motivation it wasn’t so bad). I like the idea of the e to d but the only knee lever free for my C6th is the knee lever that controls my first E9 string and it has a split so I can go down a half step or a whole step. I’m a little hesitant to mess with it because I love the way that lever responds when I am in E9. How wonderful is that e to d. Is it so good I need to start searching for a tech. Anyway thanks for the first recommendation -mit made me realize I had to get my guitar in order and now I have three augmented voicings to choose from.thx
Sierra artist series s10

Jeremiah Wade

Bladenboro, NC
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 3:05 pm    

In addition to the positions previously mentioned, an augmented triad can also be found with pedal 6 and 7 strings 654 open position is Eb+, B+, and G+. stacked major third intervals, so the chord inverts every four frets. If you have the string four half step lower you get C+, E+, G#= in the open position strings 764.
happy hunting

Arthur Dickerson

Post  Posted 24 May 2021 3:03 am    

Thanks. I appreciate the info.
Sierra artist series s10

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 7:19 pm    

You can play an augmented chord one fret up from the open position on C6th. Strings 3 through 6, lowering strings 3 and 6. This combination works every 2 frets.

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2021 3:28 am    

Hi Arthur. Just to assist in answering the question in more broader terms. Here are a few resources to help you out.
http://www.herbsteinermusic.com/C6_essay.pdf
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2JvCXbV0PsBdjg1aXM0U1VjdnM/edit?resourcekey=0-hncKhT7Ki0X-spn9FfIkmA

Thanks to Mr Steiner and Mr Trap (?) for this. People need to be reminded of this occasionally for the great resource that the SGF really is.

Arthur Dickerson

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2021 11:29 am     Thx

Thx. I hadn’t been back recently to see the last reply from Chris. Very helpful.
Sierra artist series s10