The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  5mm Tuning Wrench.....Would These Work??
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 6:01 pm    

Hey,

I've been looking for a smaller (than a full nutdriver) 5mm tuning wrench for my Encore. Michael Yahl from https://www.psgparts.com/ seems to be out of them.

Any reason why either of these won't work?

Celtic Harp Key:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143638977185

or Drum Key:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153559616996

Or.......do you have any other suggestions, other than MacGyver-ing a 5mm socket or something?

Thanks!

Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 6:17 pm    

Drum Keys & Harp Tuners are usually square socket, so check carefully before you buy.

I finally found a source for a mini 5mm hex tuner (round grip) in the RC tools world, but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't vouch for the supplier.

I've been using one of these with a 5mm hex socket but it's not ideal as the insert tends to separate from the driver when pulled away from the tuner. I guess I could epoxy it in there. Sure wish someone would get a reliable stock of 5mm mini tuners back in stock!

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 6:25 pm    

https://www.frenchyspedalsteel.com/the-steel-mill-products-strings/
this is a link from just one vendor . I know a few of them sell these . You can search more in the links at the top right of this page in the green .

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 12:16 am    

Jim,I found a little wrench that gunSmith's use to adjust the site on a block,if you search Amazon you will find it. I'll try and post a photo later.Its listed on amazon as "Truglo Glock gun sighting tool"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 5:44 am    

Vic Wong made me a couple of plastic 5mm hex wrenches with his 3D printer as an experiment. I haven't subjected them to heavy use yet but they seem to fit OK.

His website/store is www.paniquejazz.com.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 6:27 am     Tuning wrench

I have a couple of these 3/16 hex drivers ( about 3” long ) that most hardware stores , Lowe’s,Home Depot etc. carry and they work and store perfectly.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 7:53 am    

Williams sells a tuning wrench that is a 't' handle. It works a lot better than those round knurled ones. That's what I use.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 1:42 pm    

I have a few to choose from , but I took an excelite like Mike showed, and made a “T” handle out of a piece of solid hex, for tuning Allen heads on my Zum Hybrid.
It makes it more precise when tuning the nylon hex heads as well.