The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New album "Bird Meets Wire"
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 2:49 pm    

Hi everyone, four years ago on Easter Sunday (also April 1st) saxophonist Ingrid Laubrock, cellist Leila Bordreuil, and myself got together in a small studio in Queens, NY and recorded an album, and today, the album, titled Bird Meets Wire March 14th, 2021, has been released.

This is an album that's dear to my heart. I've played with Ingrid off (originally from Germany) and on over the last several years, and she's one of the best musicians I know, and she's an incredible improvisor. And I've known Leila just as long, though this project is the only one in which we've played together - she has a unique approach to music and an incredible ear.

Here is a review pf the record by Bruce Gallanter in the Downtown (NYC) Music Gallery's current newsletter:

SUSAN ALCORN / LEILA BORDREUIL / INGRID LAUBROCK - Birds Meets Wire (Relative Pitch 1098; USA) Featuring Susan Alcorn on pedal steel, Leila Bordreuil on cello and Ingrid Laubrock on tenor & soprano saxes. Recorded by Colin Marsten at Thousand Caves Studio in Queens in April of 2018. This is an interesting combination of three women improvisers from very varied backgrounds.

Originally Texas-based pedal steel sorceress, Susan Alcorn (currently living in Baltimore), has truly moved in leaps & bounds over the past few years with a number of superb releases: a solo tribute to Astor Piazzola (on Relative Pitch), a fabulous all-star quintet disc from last year plus being a member of the Mary Halvorson Octet. Ingrid Laubrock is equally ambitious and just keeps getting better as a saxist, composer (check out any of her great discs on Intakt) and juggles several great bands. Cellist, Leila Bordreuil, I know less well, although she played at the store with Chris Pitsiokos and she has a solo effort and two duo efforts with Lea Bertucci and Michael Foster.

The music begins with a series of drones or long tones, all three instruments interweaving into a fascinating blend.

Although most folks often associate the pedal steel with country music, Ms. Alcorn long ago has evolved past any regular expectation of weepy steel guitar. Her sound is unique, drawing from an assortment of unexpected ghost-like swirls.

Ms. Laubrock also loves to push herself exploring some of the more extended sax sounds: different drones, bird-like squeaks and even jazzy phrasing which flow in different patterns. Ms. Bordreuil seems to be taking her time to weave her way into the slowly shifting waves, bowing, buzzing and shimmering in assorted layers. The variety of sounds that emanate from Ms. Alcorn’s pedal steel really pushes her partners into some unexpected areas.

On “Canones” (a traditional song), it sounds as if the trio are playing this sad, solemn ballad that will bring a tear to the eye if you have a tender heart. There is something quite lovely going on here, a most haunting vibe in which time slows down and we are left with a calm, dreamy vibration.

This disc also ends with another traditional song called, “Indigo Blue”.

If you'd like to hear the first song and, if you like it, and perhaps think about buying it, you can do it from this page on Bandcamp: https://susanalcorn1.bandcamp.com/album/bird-meets-wire

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 11:13 am    

Looking forward to hearing it, but it;'s going to be hard to top Pedernal.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 5:20 am    

I like the watercolor stripes for cover art.

Myk Freedman

Brooklyn
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 4:19 am    

Susan, I love this! So rich with sounds. Thank you for continuing to push the steel into new and exciting contexts. It's so great to hear you in this ensemble!

Garry Moore

USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2021 11:21 am    

This is cool! I'm familiar with Ingrid Laubrock from watching youtube videos of her performing with Mary Halvorson. She's awesome. Gonna check this out now.