The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA color/fading thoughts
Mike Ritchie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 4:59 am    

What do you think folks, was this guitar ever green like the pickup pocket or was there a base coat of green applied and then the tobacco like accents sprayed on top of that? It's a 81'.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 5:29 am    

In the late 60's and 70's a number of manufacturers used aniline dye as a coloring agent however it was fairly sensitive to ultraviolet light and faded like you are showing here. Also it is toxic to the finisher who must take precautions to avoid skin contact.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 6:08 am    

My 1980 MSA is still green. Admittedly, it hasn't seen a lot of UV since most gigs I play are indoors or at night. I keep a cover on it when not in use, and thinking back, all of my practice rooms have been out of direct sunlight. I've heard that some manufacturers used aniline dyes, but I don't know if MSA was one of them. Yours does have the same look you see on some faded Lloyd Green model Sho-Buds. FWIW, I was never crazy about green, and I think your tobacco color looks great.

Mike Ritchie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 7:27 am    

I better move it away from the window, plenty of UV's down here in the Sunshine State. I like the tobacco color and I heard they have better sustain Laughing

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 11:09 am    

Most of those green MSA guitars [blue too] faded brown LONG ago... Some kept their color however and I don't really know why,, same with other brands of lacquer guitars as well.. I guess it depends on where it was kept... They don't look half bad if the lacquer is still solid and not all checked... When a faded MSA is also all battered, bar dinged, and checked as well, Its really an ugly old mess, that deserves a refin... To my eyes, Buds and especially ZB's don't look as ugly as an MSA when the finishes are worn.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 8:16 pm    

I have heard stories that Back in the 1970's and 80' some Steel Guitar Companies actually use food coloring water based stains on maple bodies, So that they could apply a lacquer finish over the coloring. Most food colors have an organic base and sunlight will affect it rather quickly.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 9:38 pm    

I heard the same thing.