The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wraparound Tailpiece For Lap Steel
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:01 am    

I recall that Bill Asher used to offer non-radiused wraparounds for lap steel. I no longer see them on his site.

My new-to-me Georgeboard steel (coincidentally, sort of a take on the Asher import) has a standard guitar wraparound, compatible with a guitar-neck radius, similar to the picture.
It does not seem to create any playing problems -- I'd have to be playing way high up the neck for the bar to start feeling the arc. I'd just leave it be.
However--I am just starting to think about installing a string-thru pickup that might not like the string height variations from outer to middle strings.

With the large embedded bushings from the wraparound, changing to a different type of bridge would entail some body work that I'm not keen on getting into.

Does anyone have a source for a level wraparound tail? I could consider filing/leveling mine flat (and destroying the plated finish) but it's not my first choice.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:59 am    

Jon, get in contact with Forumite Dave Peterson in Prescott Valley, AZ. Dave duplicated an aluminum flat-topped Gibson stoptail unit for a Century Deluxe reclamation project I've been working on. Dave's also made several Gibson-style repro 7-string bridges for me. He has fabricated custom Gibson-style bridges for Ron Mielzynski of RAM guitars in Chicagoland. Send me a pm and I'll be happy to furnish contact info. Dave does excellent work, and is easy to deal with. Highly recommended.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:06 am    

Excellent Jack. Thanks! PM sent.