The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on trading Amps.
Peter Haverkamp

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 5:04 pm    

Okay, so here's my quandary... Bare with me as I try to explain this as concisely as possible

I currently own a Fender Prosonic Tube Amp, original custom, made in the Fender shop in Arizona. It's my baby, I've had it for 20 years, I love it.

Last year I decided to list it for sale, as I rarely play electric guitar any more, and don't gig at all anymore. I also listed the price a little on the higher-end side ($1250 CAD), mostly because I wasn't in a rush to sell, and just wanted to feel out the market.

Around the same time, I was starting to toy with the idea of finally investing in a Pedal Steel, something I had wanted to learn since I was quite young but never got around to. A local friend of mine, who had played steel for years, was helping to educate me on what to look for and what to look out for and he mentioned in passing that he had 3 amps for sale, all Peavys, the Nashville 400, the Vegas 400 & the session 500, all of which he was asking $300 CAD for.

Now flash forward to now. I've dropped the price in my prosonic listing to $850 (I'd been dropping it gradually until it got hits) Last month I bought my first Pedal Steel Guitar and have been practicing/studying/learning religiously every day since I got it. I LOVE the way it sounds through my Fender Prosonic, the warmth of the tubes coupled with the steel sounds fantastic to my ears.

Yesterday I had someone message me and they were interested in buying the Prosonic. They have offered $750 and would be travelling quite a distance (out of Province) to come get it.

So that's my situation: I have the opportunity to sell the prosonic and buy one of the Peavy Amps and put 450 bucks in my pocket. DO I DO IT Question Question Question

From what I understand, a lot of Steel Players play through Peavy Nashville Amps, but other players have suggested they are not great sounding. So I need some opinions folks.... Do I keep this beautiful warm tube beast I've had for years and know and trust, or do I trade it for the Peavy and cash in?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 5:17 pm    

1st the Peavey Nashville series amps are great for pedal steel. 2nd I own several Fender tube amps, Twin Reverbs, Bassman, Deluxe reverb, and Super Champ xd. All good and sound great. I also have a boatload of Peavey amps, they sound good as well. I would not trade one for the other. If the Fender sounds good to you and you have a bond with it, then keep it. The Nashville may not be to your liking and the Prosonic would be history. I would own each, then decide.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 6:10 pm    

Quote:
I LOVE the way it sounds through my Fender Prosonic, the warmth of the tubes coupled with the steel sounds fantastic to my ears.

Judging by this statement, I would suggest you keep this Prosonic. The only caveat with some amps is a lack of headroom. If this amp delivers great tone at the volume levels you require, I would think twice before letting it go, cause once gone, it's gone.

Speaking as one who still has seller's remorse about letting a fantastic piece of equipment get away, I wouldn't want you to feel the anguish that comes from that.

If you're not that attached to it, that's different.

I would certainly audition one before you buy it though. Give it a good work out and pay close attention to the reverb as these amps vary widely with that.

The Peavey 400 amps are great steel amps with lots of power and pretty much bulletproof. The Peavey's weren't introduced until the 70s though and much great steel music was certainly done with other amps, many of them Fender tube units.

Good luck. Happy pickin'.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 7:08 pm    

If you like the tone you’re getting with the Prosonic - keep it.... at least for now. Maybe you could ask your friend if you can borrow the Peavey for a week or two, then make an informed decision re: whether to keep or sell the Fender. “Seller’s remorse” truly sucks.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 2:19 am    

Interesting scenario. The Pro Sonic is a 60 watt amp, overall really nice with two identical switching channels. I wouldn't escape from ownership quite so soon.

If you like the way it sounds with the Steel keep it, why part with it ? As a double duty player ( me) I would seek one channel clean for the Steel and the other for the guitar with some edge. Both channels drive the 60 watt power amp with Reverb so whats not to love ? The big question is not for the guitar but rather, can it deliver enough level for the STEEL with headroom before it breaks up.

60 watts with 2x6L6's is right on the edge of clean given the front end is clean. Don't get rid of it quite yet I say ! Very Happy

Almost forgot: The Prosonic has an ext speaker out which is now a thing of the past in many amps, including the PV Steel amps. You won't miss it until you need it !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 10 May 2021 7:18 am; edited 2 times in total

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:05 am    

I wouldn't do it.
It's a low offer for something you enjoy that would be tough to rebuy if you have sellers remorse.

You've got something truly special in the Pro-Sonic and you're loving the tone. Alot of guys seem to like the warm tube tone and there is nothing wrong with having two very different amp tones available to you. Plus if you end up with some stereo pedals having two steel amps could be alot of fun.

I see no reason to take a low offer for something special in exchange for something common like a Nash 400 (nice as they may be). Certainly not until you've owned a nash 400 for a while and determined with certainty that you prefer it's tone. If you're buddy has 3 400 series amps, they're not going anywhere and hopefully you can scrape up the $300 and own both.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Karl Paulsen on 10 May 2021 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:46 am     Quandry

Keep the Fender and eventually get a Peavey as you can afford one, this way you have something that can handle stage volume if you start playing out more and to be honest , since you are a guitar player you shouldn’t just give it up because the more you can offer musically the more of an option you are to be hired. Pedal Steel is a luxury instrument but coupled with guitar it’s more likely to be a reality!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:18 am    

Keep the Fender, and purchase a vintage PV. The 500 is an awesome amp, but they're almost as heavy as a F-150. I'd recommend an original 400, be it a Session or a LTD. They're hardly collectors items, and they're definitely not scarce. And when properly maintained and set up to spec, they sound great.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 7:48 am    

I’d keep the fender. Peavey amps will come around, and at reasonable prices.

They may be 40 years old, but not “vintage collectable” . Just old .

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:07 am    

Option 1: If you love the way the Prosonic sounds keep it and be happy. You will drive yourself crazy chasing tone based on the opinions of others.

Option 2: Try the Peavey. If you love it too, you can raise the price on your Prosonic and play it until a buyer comes along who's willing to pony up.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:11 am    

Don't dump the Fender until you find something that you like better..THEN decide. Having an amp you like is a BIG part of the enjoyment of playing. 😃

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:28 am     Re: Advice on trading Amps.

Peter Haverkamp wrote:
I currently own a Fender Prosonic Tube Amp, original custom, made in the Fender shop in Arizona. It's my baby, I've had it for 20 years, I love it.

I LOVE the way it sounds through my Fender Prosonic, the warmth of the tubes coupled with the steel sounds fantastic to my ears.

Peter, I would listen to what Peter has to say here. It isn't often you hear a steel player say they LOVE their tone.

Last edited by Tucker Jackson on 10 May 2021 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:30 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:

Option 2: Try the Peavey. If you love it too, you can raise the price on your Prosonic and play it until a buyer comes along who's willing to pony up.

This.
The best of both worlds. You either end up with two cool amps you like or one you love and you don't end up having to take a lowball offer on a sweet amp that you seem to like.

Two other thoughts
$300 isn't alot for an amp, but it's still real $. If $ is tight, maybe your friend with the Peavey's will let you put one aside on layaway and you can pay it off over time.

Also, if you're on a search for the best steel amp, maybe your friend would let you buy one on the condition that you can swap it out for a week with one of the others until you find "the one". Still keep the Prosonic for now though...

Good luck whatever you decide.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:32 am    

Don't get me wrong, for clean pedal steel, I really like the early Peavey pedal steel amps like the Session/LTD 400 (same circuit in different boxes), and Nashville 400. Personally, I'd steer clear of the Session 500. Some players like 'em - I have one, I really don't care for it and it's ridiculously heavy, and I have no big issue with hauling a Twin Reverb. The Peavey Nashville 112 (I'd get one of the earlier US-built ones that have socketed preamp chips) is also a very good amp and loud enough for most gigs unless you play in a band that has way too loud a stage volume.

But these are pedal steel amps. They are loud and clean one-trick ponies - a great trick for pedal steel, but most guitar players will be disappointed with them for guitar. There are exceptions - some guitar players like 'em for guitar - but that's my experience. I can use 'em but for guitar, I'd much rather be playing a Fender or even a Peavey amp designed for guitar. And I frequently use 20-60 watt Fenders for pedal steel gigs, they sound great to me. In fact, most people I work with flat out prefer the sound of the Fender amps.

But the bigger issue, IMO, is that I think it's a really bad idea to get rid of an amp that I really love for an unknown quantity just to free up a few hundred bucks temporarily. I've done it too many times, and it usually bites me in the ass. Recovering what I had almost always costs me a lot more, in the end.

So don't do it. Don't feed the lowballer. If you wanna go for one of those Peaveys, just pony up the $300 for the Nashville 400. That's a good price. If you wanna sell it down the road, you shouldn't lose much, if anything.

Peter Haverkamp

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 8:45 pm    

Well... looks like I'm keeping the Fender. The buyer won't be happy, can I blame you guys lol? Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't want to let it go, I think I just needed to hear it from other people.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 3:28 am    

Peter Haverkamp wrote:
Well... looks like I'm keeping the Fender. The buyer won't be happy, can I blame you guys lol? Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't want to let it go, I think I just needed to hear it from other people.

Good to hear (from another Fender collector here!)...
...I have resisted selling stuff off a number of times in the last 30-odd years, and I can truly say that on the few occasions that I have relented, I always regretted it in the end.

The other thing to keep in mind is, the sort of things we DO collect tend to be those that are ultimately going to appreciate in value over time ....anyway, that's the excuse I always use when questioned about the pile of stuff that's stacked around the house... Laughing

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 11:15 am    

Yeah, that is a REALLY good amp...You'll be sick if you get rid of it, trust me... Peavey amps are everywhere, and are cheap, a Prosonic is tough to find, not easily replaced.

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 4:48 pm    

Keep the Fender for now. Try the Peaveys when you can and then decide!

Mike Christensen

Cook Minnesota
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 7:33 am     amps

I agree about keeping equipment you like. The NV 400 amps are almost always available and for cheap. Mentioned is the word "clean". If it gets a little thicker on high volume you may actually like that. I do. Happy Trails. Mike C