The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sica speakers
Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 1:33 pm    

Was talkin with my good buddy Tommy Huff the other day and were both curious whast happen to the Sica speakers Ken Fox used fer steel guitar amps.Are they discontinued?

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 5:28 am    

Were available from 'Antique Electronics Supply' (AKA: Tubes and More) although they may be phasing them out. I currently own several units both 12" and 15" and find them to be quite comparable in tone to the other "steel friendly" neo speakers.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:49 am    

Sica speakers are still available in UK, the 12 inch neo comes in 250 and 350 watt versions priced at £79.00 and £125.00. The 15 inch neo 350 watt is priced £155.00. They are available from Hotrox in U.K., got my 12 inch from them some years back, brilliant speaker, believe they are built in Italy in same factory as Jensen speakers, so it might be possible to order them from a Jensen dealer in U.S.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 10:37 am    

I think they were drop shipping for Ken's orders.

I have a 12" SICA, bought through Ken, in an enclosure that my wife uses with rhythm guitar. I had a spare Telonics TSNEO 12 and I put that in the enclosure and she didn't like it compared to the SICA for her Martin rhythm guitar. I had to reinstall the SICA (and later sold the Telonics).

A search only turns up a couple e-bay listings.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 11:14 am    

Jack, I have a 15 inch Telonics, it sounds good but prefer the Sica, I have used both cabs with GK MB 200, a Steelaire head,( good tone but had volume problem, so sold it), a Jay Ganz 500 watt D class, the Sica sounded great with them all, the Telonics cab is in storage cupboard as a back up.I believe Hotrox ships worldwide, but probably quite costly.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 4:17 pm    

I currently have a Sica 15" in my Evans SE200...bought it from Antique Electronics a few years ago. I used it to replace the original Red Labeled Eminence 15".
Lightened the amp considerably and has a nice "bottom " to it.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:20 pm    

The ones Ken recommended were officially bass speakers. I think two things happened - first, Sica decided to not sell through small vendors like Ken, so he lost the ability to offer them at a reasonable price. Second - IIRC, Sica decided to drop most of their line of speakers intended for musical instruments and let Jensen (which they own) focus on that, and Sica focused more on PA and commercial speakers.

Sica still makes a 15" "professional woofer" neo speaker - but it's not much like the ones Ken thought worked good for pedal steel. There may be lots of back stock of the various older models as well, so still available through retailers.

Maybe Ken will check in and confirm or clarify my feeble memory!

I have a 15" steel frame Neo Sica bass speaker that I think sounds great for pedal steel.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 11:54 pm    

The ones I listed from Hotrox U.K.are bass speakers and as far as I can see are the same spec as the one I have and the ones Ken sold. If you check their website all the specs are listed, and, at least in U.K., are very reasonably priced compared to other main makes.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 8:00 am    

Don’t know a lot. I am still buying Jensen at OEM levels from them. I bought hundreds of SICA speakers back them. Over 100 on my last order and then suddenly I was not an OEM anymore. That was around ten years ago.
I really don’t know what they offer now in the way of speakers

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 9:15 am    

I don't know the answer to your question; however, I really like the speakers. They perform well in my Evans and my Fender Steel King....and are so light.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat