The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keyless GFI Ultra
Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 8:56 pm    

I have experienced audible hysteresis on guitars with rollers too. I do like lower return compensators. I have them on every string I both raise and lower on my Legrande 2 and they work flawlessly. It’s not hard to install them either. I agree with Georg but I also believe that some people haven’t actually experienced a guitar that had a bad case of hysteresis themselves. Also some people can’t hear when their instrument is out of tune...

Brentley, glad you found a guitar your ready to buy! Congrats.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 11:49 pm    

Leo Grassl wrote:
I have experienced audible hysteresis on guitars with rollers too.
Most likely because hysteresis on top of the changer and in its scissor-action, is at least as frequent as hysteresis caused by badly maintained nut-rollers…
Hysteresis on the changer

Friction anywhere in the string-pitch mechanism inevitably reduce string-pitch stability, and eliminating friction entirely everywhere is "hard" the way most PSGs are built.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 9:31 am    

One thing that occurred to me looking at 5th pic of the tuners is that I read on the forum that with some but probably not all keyless/headless setups it's important for tuning stability that each of the 10 sliding tuning blocks make solid contact with the blocks to either side

Which is not what the photo is showing BUT I'm sure you'll be happy with that steel for a long time to come.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 1:04 pm    

I had a keyless GFI, and found the keyless tuning system to work well. I didn’t use a wound sixth. It was a great guitar, with good customer support.