The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic

If you had only three choices, which version of a new Buddy Emmons book would you buy?
Hardback (cloth) - $110.00
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Paperback - (soft cover) - $21.95
71%
 71%  [ 126 ]
Ebook - $14.95
15%
 15%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 176

Author Topic:  Upcoming Emmons Book Survey
Larry Banks

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 12:57 pm    

Paperback. Do you know about Ingrham Sparks? You can self pub there and distribute ebooks. You will be able to save a bunch of money on printing. Print on demand works well.
Larry... educator by day, guitar player at nights.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 8:49 pm     Why Not?

I have ponied up 700.00 for amps a book can be read over and over. i would say this though.You said that Buddy decided he could not keep goin with the interview or did not have time too. So are you gathering eclectic sources from other people to finish out the book. Would like to hear your response

Fish

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 6:20 am    

Peter, thank you for your question about the book.

Buddy officially discontinued our project in December 2010 after nine months of work. He explained to me he could no longer go on talking about the past without losing sleep over the bad memories he would re-live. He found himself chain smoking at 3 am, unable to rest. His health was our prime concern, so we agreed to stop. Here is the Forum announcement: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com//viewtopic.php?p=1721892&highlight=#1721892

Before the announcement, Buddy made me a very gracious offer, because that’s the kind of guy he was. He gave me the rights to his memoirs if I agreed to publish them after he was gone. I humbly agreed. Afterwards, he was absolutely giddy that we had stopped! It was clearly the right thing to do. The weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders and he got back to living his life of retirement in peace.

Before we stopped in December 2010, I had conducted dozens of interviews with Buddy’s friends and musical colleagues like Willie Nelson, Ray Price, Little Jimmy Dickens, Harold Bradley, Buddy Spicher, Ben Keith, Jay Dee Maness, Paul Franklin, John Boylan, Ry Cooder, Bernie Leadon, Carol Kaye, Judy Collins, and many in person with Buddy himself.

In 2011 and 2012 Buddy would occasionally email me a piece of information he thought could be helpful, but I stopped all outside interviews with others. I didn’t want it to get back to Buddy that I was working on the book without him. I stopped everything.

In 2012 I asked for Buddy's blessing on a non-profit tribute album in his honor. He was reluctant at first because of he was enjoying his retirement out of the spotlight and didn't want to draw attention to himself. I suggested all net profits could go to the non-profit of his choice. When Ernie Renn suggested the donation be made in Peggy Emmons‘s name, Buddy immediately said “yes“ and suggested the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum as the recipient. During this phase he became more and more open to telling his story and would answer occasional email questions about certain facts only he knew. He even began to volunteer information out of the blue. For weeks before the Hall of Fame tribute in September 2013, he said he would attend but didn’t want to be interviewed. Buddy was a shy guy and he didn’t like public speaking at all. I was stunned when he called and volunteered to be interviewed just a few days before the event.

He was relatively upbeat and happy during the months before he passed. In May 2015, Jim Palenscar and Jay Dee Maness personally delivered a Sierra 12 string with a new C6 tuning Buddy’d had rattling around in his head. As you know, he had stopped playing all together after Peggy had passed in 2007. By May and June 2015 Buddy Emmons was playing again and was even talking seriously about recording! His death on July 21, 2015 came as a total shock.

It took me months to get back to work. I began new interviews in 2016 with essential people like Pat Martino, Brenda Lee, and Linda Ronstadt who gave an extraordinary interview describing the first time she heard “Night Life” on a Tucson jukebox. She went out and bought the album and wore it out.

During the pandemic I went into high gear. I had another extraordinary round of interviews with old friends like Buck Reid, Tommy White, Rob Hajacos, Gregg Galbraith, David Smith, Ray Pennington, Randy Beavers, Mike Cass, Ernie Renn, Sam Bush, producer Michael Melford, Terry Crisp, Ric Boyer, Ron and Leslie Elliott, and members of Buddy’s family.

Buddy’s memoirs are the framework for this biography. Around Buddy’s words I expand with research, interviews, anecdotes and stories from sources and the interviewees. Buddy’s words lead the conversation and his friends and family add color and detail and focus.

Buddy blessed the project to the very end. We had found a stress-free way for him to help without losing any sleep, and I will always be grateful to him for his time, his friendship, and most especially for his trust in me. I only wish I could have asked him a few more questions. “Please tell me about your fascination with astronomy and the nighttime sky." We can only guess at what he might have said.

Last edited by Fish on 6 Jun 2021 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 7:20 am    

Fish:

It's abundantly clear that you gave a great deal to this project. I can only imagine how much time you have devoted to it over the years.

The project is in the right hands. Thank you for all your dedication, and for the respect you've continually shown to Buddy and his memory.

Fish

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 7:24 am    

Thank you Roger.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 9:56 am    

What Roger said…..

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 11:50 am     Thank you

I know how hard it is to do research!! the fact that you honored his wishes and continued on your quest speaks volumes...i will most anxiously await the book which i will buy with respect no matter what the price As many pics as possible I have one of him with jimmy Dickens band if you are interested Thanks for taking the time....

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2021 7:47 pm    

Steve -

Please save at least one Hard Copy for me.

Hopefully the author will be gracious and autograph my copy.

Best regards Fish,

Ron Funk

Fish

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 9:34 am    

Hi Ron and everyone,

Thank you for asking. It will be my pleasure to sign copies of Buddy's book for anyone and everyone.

Regarding photos: my limit is around 25 black and whites. I'm proud to say the Country Music Hall of Fame is providing several extremely rare, cool photos. My goal is to offer as many "never-before-seen photos" as possible, as opposed to re-printing so many of the photos commonly associated with Buddy. He LOVED the photo of himself on the cover of the tribute album -- in fact he chose that one -- so that exception will be included.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and support!

Steve

PS: other interviews I forgot to mention earlier include Vince Gill and Tom Bradshaw.

Michael Sullivan

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2021 3:51 pm    

Paperback however, if this had Buddy Emmons tablature and some backing tracks then the higher price that you're asking for the hardback would make more sense.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2021 4:43 am    

Eh??? Sad

John Castelletti

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2021 6:48 am    

Hardback