The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 2:33 pm    

Here is a good way to pratice for me anyway i use Biab i like to get some chord progressions built up and play along with it on the steel it helps with timeing and keeps you sharp same thing with scale work baib plays a key and you play the scale either single notes or dyads and chords scales , just a thought go through all the keys you use and play along with it

Last edited by Russell Adkins on 7 May 2021 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 2:46 pm    

I use a different program to do the same kind of thing, making loops of different chord progressions so that I can explore the instrument freely but in strict time. Any key, any speed, off you go!

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 8:00 pm    

I have not used biab, but rather a keyboard. You can record a song on it or a chord progression and practice with that. Another practice used, is the progression C, Dm, Em, F, G7, Am. Using the key-change ability, you can practice in any key, and familiarize yourself with WHERE the chords are in any home-position (No-pedal, A-F, A-B, etc.) or key...Pat

Last edited by Pat Chong on 9 May 2021 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 12:19 am    

Anything we do where we can repeat the same practice session daily , rather than NOODLING for the whole practice session, is paramount.

As Pat says directly above, use your program to change keys as well, this will bring you HUGE rewards ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 1:12 am    

Recently I have been recording band rehearsals on multitrack using Reaper. It means hauling a fair bit of gear, but it's worth it. Not only do all the members get to hear how it's going, but I can mute my original effort and play along and improve. I'm conscious of being the weakest player and with these extra virtual rehearsals I can catch up. I'm as experienced as the others generally, but not on PSG!