The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Running 2 Racks thru 1 Pair of Speakers
Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:52 am    

Is there a way to run two complete rack systems thru one pair of speakers to avoid reconnecting speaker cables to each rack when using it?

Each rack has 3 components...
Rack 1: power amp, Evans pre-amp, TC M-One XL effects.
Rack 2: power amp, Stereo Steel pre-amp, TC M-One XL effects.

I'd like to able to plug the guitar into either pre-amp input without moving speaker connections from one rack to another.

Any suggestions?

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:23 am    

Roger..'Hosa' makes an adapter (#GPP 359) that enables you to plug 2x1/4" male jacks into 1x1/4".

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:51 am     ...well...

You need an"a-b"box...Whirlwind makes a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-Selector-Instrument-Channels-Impedance/dp/B0002MSA3U

SH

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 10:14 am    

David Nugent wrote:
Roger..'Hosa' makes an adapter (#GPP 359) that enables you to plug 2x1/4" male jacks into 1x1/4".

Don't do this. It could blow out one or both of your power amps. You could be feeding the the output power from one into the output of the other. My brother used one of these to feed his stereo and Bandmaster into a single speaker. I think the Bandmaster survived, but the stereo smoked, literally. You can't feed the output of one amp into the output of another.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 10:25 am    

Read this article:

http://audio-room.net/connecting-2-amplifiers-to-one-set-of-speakers-making-an-ampspeakers-selector-switch/

Here's the key paragraph from the article.

Quote:
So, again, is it safe to connect two amps to one set of speakers? If you do that directly, simply run speaker cables from both amps to your speakers – definitely not. If you do that, and then turn on both amps, you will fry at least one of them, possibly both. Even if you think you’ll be extra careful and always remember to switch off one amp before switching on the other, and you actually are that careful, sooner or later someone else will try to listen to some music using your gear – and poof goes your nice amp. This exact thing happened to a friend of mine. He was careful, but his daughter wasn’t.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 10:54 am    

Maybe not such a good idea. I read somewhere on the forum that someone had a setup like that, but have no idea how it was done.

I'll stick with actually walking over to the speakers and changing the cables. I could probably use the exercise anyway!

Thanks for all of the valuable input and preventing a potential disaster.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:23 pm    

You’re over thinking the equation here, Get a single space 8 or 12 channel rackmount line mixer such as a Roland M-120 usually used for keyboards. You can have the outputs of your Evans into Chanel 1&2 inputs of the line mixer then the outputs of your stereo steel into the inputs of channels 3&4... your TC effects units can be plugged into the stereo effects loops of the line mixer then the right & left outputs of the line mixer go to the inputs of one power amp only which in turn powers your right & left speakers from the output of the power amp.

You just eliminated one power amp from your signal chain and everything is routed effectively for each preamp to provide different tone options.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:03 pm    

That's worth a try. The Roland is discontinued. I'll have to look for another model of line mixer.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:33 pm     Rack System

The Roland is discontinued but still available used for about $150.00 and its 12 channels and 2 effects sends plus you can use it as an in ear system because it has a stereo aux in for a band mix. BTW you also don’t need 2 separate TC M one units, one will work both preamps. I use this same setup at home and I have 2 Mesa Boogie studio pre amps, a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, a Kemper, a LeMay MK-1 preamp and an Alembic FB-2 which is 6 stereo preamps into one line mixer into one power amp into 2 speakers ...it works!

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 8:56 am    

My approach to your problem would be this:
Since you are not using two power amps at the same time, I would ditch one of the power amps. Use an A/B switch for the outputs of both preamps. Then feed the output of the A/B switch to the one power amp which is going to the speakers. Problem solved and maybe you lose the weight of one power amp as well.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100