The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SGI - Lightweight Fuzzy PSG
Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 7:56 pm    

Howdy folks,
Just got a SGI in the mail today and thought I'd share, since there isn't much out there on the internet. I bought this as a backup/rehearsal/small gig steel. My main steel happens to be an Excel, so it is interesting to see the similarities. This example is in very good shape, very impressive for what I reckon to be an 80s instrument. I'll attach a link to some pictures and give a quick write-up of my thoughts.

This thing really is super light and super small. I'm a big fan of compact keyless steels and even though this one is keyed, it is about the same length as my Excel. This is due mostly to the shorter scale, but there no superfluous substance here. The shipping label said that the package weighed 22 pounds, between the steel, case, and packaging. The case is about 1/3 of the size of my Excel case, so this will be great when I don't feel like carrying much. I think the steel is still heavy enough not to slide around when playing, and overall it is no less comfortable than any other singleneck.

The changer is pull-release and seems solid. Nothing too special going on, but it does have a half-stop for the D string, which may or may not be unusual for push or release changers- I am not familiar with them. Either way, it works and feels good. All tuning nuts are the nylon bushings at the bellcranks that Fuzzy uses. The action is firmer than my Excel, but still pretty easy. I haven't played standard E9 in a really long time, so that part is taking some getting used to.

The tone leaves a little to be desired. I was not expecting it to be fantastic, but it was better than I expected. It sustains just fine and there isn't much that some EQ couldn't fix, it's just not as good as my Excel, which I really love. Better than the MSA I played for a while. I don't think it will be very feasible to change out the pickup, as the polepieces extend into the body, but that's ok. I doubt I will change anything on this thing anyway.

Overall, this thing is really cool, and I'm very glad that I got ahold of it. The google folder is below for your viewing pleasure and I'll attach a post I made that has a sound sample.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-3TcR_Ncl_nk59gEzBj0ZR0zfhjh3FJJ?usp=sharing

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgaRvPrPop/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 7:07 am    

I love these cute little steels! Congrats on the score! What is the scale length?

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:33 am    

Trying doing this with any other S-10:

Loved those long KLs.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:50 am    

That's amazing. Probably seen these at Scotty's music back when but I was interested in Sho Bud at the time.

Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 9:15 am    

Ross, the scale length is 23รขโ‚ฌย.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 11:10 am    

I had a double ten SGI
They are good steels for sure.

Last edited by Johnie King on 6 May 2021 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 11:16 am    

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:33 pm    

Whoa! Who made these? The design is brilliant!

Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 4:02 pm    

These were built by Fuzzy starting in 1983. Distributed through Scotty's Music, hence the St. Louis Badge on the front.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 4:26 pm    

Fuzzy..otherwise known as Mitsuo Fujii of Excel steel guitars in Japan.