The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence Neo speakers (Who's Owns One?)
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 11:06 am    

When I built the short run (22) of Webb amplifiers years ago, I wanted to put neo speakers in them. Because JBL had stopped building amplifier speakers, I had Eminence send me the only neo speaker they were producing. It was then called the 3115. It now has a different part number, but still available. Back then I did an A/B comparison of it and a JBL E-130. I would NOT have been able to tell the difference (in tone, volume, etc.) if I had listened to the speakers apart from that A/B test.

Buyer response to that Eminence speaker and the Webb amps that I put them in was so positive that I ended up buying an extra 100 of the 3115s. I sold them all as replacement speakers, but naturally separate from the amps I had built. Because they sold like hotcakes (and no one returned one), I'm biased toward Eminence neo speakers.

I'm considering stocking and selling neo speakers again. But now, Eminence has three neo speakers that they recommend for steel guitarists: The EPS-15C (nearly identical to the 3115s I originally purchased from them), the TT-15 (Travis Troy signature speaker, and the PF-400 (the Paul Franklin signature speaker, although not a new speaker).

I'd like to hear from owners of these speakers. I would prefer to only offer one model (sizes 12 and 15 inch). Please share your recommendation of one or the other of the three models mentioned here, or drop me an email at tommybradshaw@gmail.com.

Last edited by Tom Bradshaw on 28 Jun 2021 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 12:43 pm     ...well...

Tom,

I was contacted by Eminence when they were working on the EPS-15C...

The project engineer said"we hear you are the JBL man"...

I always preferred the D-130 to any other 15"speaker, and made no secret of that fact...

"Can we send you something to try out?Will you evaluate it and tell us your findings?"

They sent it and I absolutely loved it-I like the shiny dust cap sound-It ain't for everybody, but that's what my ear wants to hear...

I had heard that they quit making the EPS-15C...I hope they start back...

I couldn't tell a nickel's difference between it and the D-130,and I've never blown the EPS up...not one...

I vote for the EPS-15C!

SH

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 1:15 pm    

I have 2 rigs and both of them have the EPS-15C in them and I too am a D130 JBL afficionado. I LOVE the neo 15C's and can't imagine playing without them !

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:17 am     Eps 15

Put me in line too my absolute favorite modern speaker made so far!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:37 am    

As mentioned in Tom's other identical subject, I too was a field tester for Eminence on the EPS-15C. My first thought when I tried it was "this sounds like the JBL K-130 I had in a Twin Reverb".

I don't know what the sonic difference was between the D and K 130's.

I had to special order the K-130 to get a 4 ohm model 1974 I think.