The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Steel driver 3 (in need of repair)
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:08 pm    

This unit is not working, no sound at all(yes, I'm using new batteries, lol). When I opened it up, I noticed a loose, red wire sitting below the jack so I soldered it to the connection on the bottom that was open and had no wire attached to it(I'm just assuming this is where it should be?). Also, the red wire at the end(closest to the housing) was in the connection but sitting loose so I soldered that as well. It's still not working. I checked all of the other connections and they seem to be solid. I'm just wondering, if anyone might know what the problem could be or maybe someone has a schematic for this unit? Thanks, I would appreciate any help you could offer.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:47 pm    

I have no schematic, but did the connection you soldered the wire to have solder residue? Since the other red wire was also loose, and did have solder on the connection, I would wonder if they both were soldered together.

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 6:54 am    

Hi Bill, Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to notice if the connection had solder residue or not. lol Now that you say it, that totally makes sense. After checking connections again, I noticed 1 of the brown wires is loose so I'm going to solder it where I think it goes. It that doesn't work, I'll do what you suggest and solder the 2 red wires together on the other connection. Thanks so much for the idea Bill.

Mike Ritchie

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 7:50 am    

Hi Dale,
Not sure if this will help or not but here is a look at the inside of mine.

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:53 am    

Thank you Mike, I just sent you an email.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 6:50 am     Goodrich

Dale; There’s a forum member named J.Fletcher from London which is close to you who is an amp tech, I would think he could possibly help. You can also contact Goodrich or Jim Palenscar for a schematic or assistance in trouble shooting this device.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 8:57 am    

I do think I see a problem with the wiring at the output jack, could use a better picture.

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 11:49 am    

Sorry I didn't post an update. Thanks to Bill Moore's ideas and Mike Ritchie's pictures, I was able to get this working! Mike Holder, Thanks for the suggestions. I do know Jerry Fletcher and was considering contacting him(after the lockdown, as Ontario is still on house arrest. lol), if I couldn't get it working. He's a great musician, amp tech and guy! He found me the 68 Twin that I use as my main amp. Thanks all, appreciate your help.

Jon DeLorme

Brooklyn New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 1:24 am    

Having an issue with my steel driver3 where I get about 2 seconds of sound then the signal gets distorted and fizzles out, even with fresh batteries. Has anyone had this problem as well?

Going to look at mine next to the picture in this thread, hoping to find a solution

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 7:55 am    

Hi Jon, I haven't experienced the problem you're having but I would check all of the solder connections on your unit. 1 of the red wires on mine was in place but not soldered at all and another brown wire was just sitting loose with no exposed wire. Just don't use my pictures as a reference as the 1 red wire is(was) soldered in the wrong location. I used Mike Ritchie's picture as a guide. Mine is now working therefore wired correctly so if you need closer, more detailed pictures, just send me a private message and I'll be happy to send you some. All the best and good luck.