The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal rods dropping out
Ben Seeto

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 6:23 pm    

Howdy all,
New member after a little advice. On my Fender Artist S10 3 + 4 the hole where the pedal rod connects to the guitar is a little worn and the hook end of the rod frequently pops out while playing. Mainly the B pedal, sometimes A. The C is fine as it has far less wear. I’ve moved the pedals across a bit so I can use one of the other set of unused holes but I’d like to have it back where it was and I’m also concerned about further wear. So a few questions:
Is this normal due to the wear making the hole a bit larger or is there something else in the set up that may be leading to the wear?
Any suggestions on what I could do to stop the rods popping out?
Is it feasible to make new rods with the quick (carburettor?) connectors at both ends and put a ball stud through the hole or would that put too much stress on the mechanism?

Any and all help appreciated.
cheers
Ben

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 10:11 pm    

Are you installing the rods the right way around? The Artist pedal cranks are the same as later '70s Sho-Buds, the rods are meant to install between the front apron and the pedal crank with the hook end pointing toward the player. Typically you need to angle them down to feed the hook end through the hole in the crank, then once they are angled vertically and connected to the pedal, they can't fall out.

Ben Seeto

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 2:10 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
Are you installing the rods the right way around? The Artist pedal cranks are the same as later '70s Sho-Buds, the rods are meant to install between the front apron and the pedal crank with the hook end pointing toward the player. Typically you need to angle them down to feed the hook end through the hole in the crank, then once they are angled vertically and connected to the pedal, they can't fall out.

Hey Ian, thanks! That’ll be my problem. Will swap them around and see how it goes.
cheers, Ben