The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Heavier than a 705
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 1:58 pm    

I’m looking to change pickups. I have 705’s, the reissue pickups. I’d like to stick with humbucker, but I wouldn’t be opposed to a heavier wound single coil if I had to. Other than a single coil, what humbucker would give me a little fuller tone plus a little less bite in the highs.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 2:04 pm    

Bill Lawrence XR-16 is a rounder, thicker sound. I've had them in Carters, Legrande and my new Williams D-10.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 7:51 pm    

Dean,

You might want to consider the new Bill Lawrence 710 that nas the coil taps. See recent praise from Ricky Davis--do a search.

He told me today that it had great string separation and nice high end comparable to a single coil.

I'm considering one of these for my ShoBud Pro II.

Don

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 12:38 pm    

Thanks guys for your response. I hadn’t had much experience with the XR-16, but that is an option that I’m leaning towards. I like the 710, but I’m afraid it would be apples to apples with what I already have. I’ve also thought about a George L 10-1, I just don’t know how much difference it would make. I have an SD-10, I’m used to playing D10 guitars, and the SD10 sounds great, but just a little brighter than the D10 guitars, so, I’m looking for something a little fuller sounding, and I’m thinking an XR-16 might be the ticket. I do however, have a 10-1 that I could put in, I just don’t want to mess with putting in another pickup, if it’s not going to make much of a difference. Does anyone have an opinion about 10-1 vs a 705?

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 3:58 pm    

The sweetest, most musical sounding pickup I ever tried was a Lawrence 910...in my old Carter guitar. I loved the sound of the pickup when I was playing at home, but onstage in a band situation it just didn't cut through enough to hold it's own with the the other instruments. I put an XR-16 in there after that and it worked very well. I recently put the same XR-16 in my Mullen G2 and it sounds nice but I haven't had a chance to try it with the band. It's hard to predict whether one pickup or another will work well for you because the guitar they go in makes a big difference. Trial and error is the ticket.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 4:35 pm    

I’ve used all of the pickups mentioned. I’m a big fan of the reissue 705 and can relate to your quest. If you’re able to find them, George L’s SS-10 would likely satisfy your needs. They have an incredibly full tone with ample lows, rich mids, and highs that are crisp but not overly bright and more forgiving for someone, such as myself, that suffer from annoying picking nuances. They measure the same resistance as the 10-1 but are made with stainless blades rather than iron. The only way to distinguish them is the SS-10 has it stenciled on the back side of the pickup. But the tone is much broader than and far more appealing to my ears than the 10-1.
Dave 🙂

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 6:32 pm    

Dean, what is wrong with the Humbucking pickups Doug Earnest is using in his single neck guitars? I have one in one of Doug's guitars and I get complements on my tone all the time. Then again I am using a 3 year old Evans Amp.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 11:36 pm    

Dean,
I’m a single coil kinda guy...I put Truetones in a lot of my steels...A lot of gigs wouldn’t handle single coils with the noise factor...Sadly, I had to put in a humbucker...I tried a few different pickups, and ended up with the XR-16....The low’s and the mids were a little more pronounced, and the high’s were still there, but a little bit smoother...Being humbuckers, they tamed my noise problems...I’m not a humbucking kinda guy, but I could live with these !!.....Jim

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 6:09 am    

Dean, as good as you are sounding on the TV shows I've seen lately you should just leave it alone.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 9:45 am    

I have a 705 in my LeGrande and I am quite happy with it.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 8:40 am    

10-1 and 910 are both good choices for wanting to cut the highs a titch.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 10:58 am    

Thanks guys for the replies. The jury is still out, I may not change anything yet, however, I’m still thinking seriously about a single coil, but, I am happy with the 705, just thinking about something different being that I already have 2 guitars with 705’s.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 3:42 pm    

Dean you should try the Telonics X10 pickup ... humbucker which you can dial in the volume and tone of each string to give you the sound YOU are looking for ! It's well worth the effort of setting up each string for balance across the tuning -- this pickup is being used by some fairly high end players :-} ... Just ask JayDee Manness for starters!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 4:16 pm    

Paddy, I never really thought about that. I will say that there are times when some strings don’t sound as balanced, or I might get an overtone. I’ll definitely keep that option in mind. I’ll investigate this further.