Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2009 10:13 am    

Delete.

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 23 Feb 2011 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2009 12:09 am    

Michael et al,

The model CV Hammond was built between Sept 1945 & Dec. 1949. In my opinion, this is one of the best sounding Hammonds ever built. I have played a couple, moved a couple, but never owned one. The CV is a BV mounted in a church style cabinet. This one features the majestic quadrafoil trim on the sides of the cabinet and bench. From the pics the bench and pedals look to be original to this instrument.

This model has Vibrato and Vibrato Chorus. Either or is selected by the toggle switch on the left side of the music rack base. There is a B3 style rotary switch just below the toggle that controls three levels of either effect.

For all the hype about B3 Hammonds there are many models built from the '30s until 1975 that sound just as good if not better and this is one of them. Add a Trek II percussion unit and you can do anything with this you can do with a 3 series Hammond except vibrato on or off for each manual seperately.

The 44W Leslie is a good one. Built in the "shorty" cabinet they have 40 watts of tube power. The two rotor Leslie is single speed (fast & stop) and can be converted to two speed with little effort. I hope it has survived storage without damage.

The Hammond Tone Cabinet looks like a C20 to me built from about 1937 to 1942. It has oil filled reverb and 20 watts of power and is powered by 4 6V6 tubes. These old tone cabs sound wonderful and look great.

This is a very nice rig that anyone considering a full sized console Hammond should consider. This would make an excellent 1st Hammond or an excellent upgrade from a spinet model. I own one of those pesky 32 note pedalboard RT3 concert models (a B3 in a widened "C" cabinet to make room for the extra pedals)

Bump for a really cool old Hammond and a very helpful forum member.

Best,

Rich

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2009 12:17 am    

Quote:
To quote from Mark Vail's book
"The Hammond Organ, Beauty In The B"

Not sure if the new edition is
any more accurate - - > Click

~Russ

Webb Kline

Orangeville, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2009 7:30 pm    

I have a CV and had a BV, but lost it in a fire. Both sound great, but it should be noted that the keys are not the same as what comes on the 2 and 3 suffix organs. It won't make a difference for a casual player, and if it is sound you want, this baby will deliver. But, for old lifelong Hammond players like me, the keys would be an issue.

Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 10:22 am    

Webb Kline wrote:
it should be noted that the keys are not the same as what comes on the 2 and 3 suffix organs.

The only playing key change made by Hammond that I know of happened in the '60s. When the M3 was discontinued and the M100 and L100 spinet organs took its place the keys where changed to "diving board type". All the earlier have "waterfall" keys and they all interchange. Later model consoles like the E100 and H100 also had the diving board keys that are not prefered for glisses and palm smears.

The change between 2 and 3 series Hammonds that you mentioned Webb may have been the change from ratchet to smooth drawbars. The ratchet type was used until late 1954 or so. Smooth drawbars came on all 3 series Hammond consoles and spinets starting with 3 series instruments in 1955. Some late 2 series had smooth as well. Hammond reduced the detent in the drawbar and added an extra contact so for the most part a connection would be made even when between detents.

Best,

Rich

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 10:38 am    

Delete.

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 23 Feb 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2009 10:57 am    

Michael Lee Allen wrote:
This organ HAS the "waterfall" keys.

It certainly does have waterfall keys and I should have mentioned that!

I also should have mentioned that ratchet drawbars are not a drawback to most players.