The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Most popular finger picks
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 2:36 pm    

I've never used anything but National finger picks since the 60's. I've misplaced the two I've been using and can't find my stash of old ones. I may have to buy some new ones. I did a search and found Nationals are still available, but there are N-1 and N-2. What's the difference and which one is best for steel?

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 2:55 pm    

The NP-2 picks are nickel silver like the originals, the NP-1 are stainless steel. I've used Nationals for years too, and the NP-2s are the ones I use.

Dave

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 3:04 pm    

I believe NP-2 is the model number you want but besides nickel silver, they appear to be available in stainless too at Amazon...also in gold...be sure to select the desired alloy.

Elderly used to offer these with cobalt plating, but I don't see them listed currently.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 4:37 pm     Most popular finger picks

OK. I found my picks. They were the victim of one of four German Shepard puppies I live with. Good to know the N-2 is more like the originals. Now as to the gauge metal and alloy, that's another question. My old ears probably can't tell any difference. I'm sure there are a lot of great picks out now, but at 75, I want to just keep what I'm used to for over 50 years. FWIW, in the early 80's, I attended a lot of Jeff Newman classes. He didn't recommend Dunlop. He said the wide sides can catch on the strings.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 6:22 pm    

I looked at the Landis finger picks for a good while and finally decided to try them. While they sure aren't inexpensive I have to say I really like them. I've been fighting to keep my picks on for as long as I've been playing. I've tried the sticky pick stuff and I've coated picks with heat shrink tubing. But these Landis 'death grip' picks stay put better than anything I've tried in 30 plus years. And the other thing is the difference in tone. They give me a sweeter, more bell-like tone. So far I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever. It does seem like a lot of money for picks but when you consider what you paid for the rest of your gear it doesn't seem so bad. Money back warranty too.

Jeff Neal

Johnson City Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 7:10 pm    

I started out with the JF picks and they are still my favorite but just recently I started using the National np-2 picks and are very happy with them. I wanted a backup to the JF picks. I second the no to the Dunlop picks. Do not like the Pro Picks either. Have a set of Showcase 1941 picks and never could get them shaped right.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 7:08 am     Ron Landis Picks

I used Dunlop picks with Blue Herco thumbpick from ‘74 to 2006 or so. Then found Perfect Touch fingerpicks from 2006 to 2020. In October 2020, ordered Landis’ Shield “Death Grip” picks with Classic blade and really like these non-slip, handcrafted picks and to my ears, gives a fine tone. They are very comfortable IMHO and I just ordered the matching Thumbpick.. pricey yes BUT Ron Landis is an artist in my home state of Arkansas...Check out his website...he is an accomplished artisan. Besides, I’ve worked all my life and if it’s something that’s going to enhance my music/noise making, I’m in as long as it’s under a million...😉

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 8:05 am     Most popular finger picks

I line my picks, including the thumb pick, with self stick thin rubber stair tread. They are more comfortable and don't slip. Before you ask, I can't tell any difference in the tone. If anything would affect the tone, it's our old grubby fingers. I bend my picks to fit my fingers and for comfort, not to look pretty and be symetrical.

THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA. I started noticing a slight sound on strings 4 and 5, sort of like a dobro simulator. I won't go into all the things I tried to find the problem. It turned out to be the rubber lining in the picks.

Last edited by George Kimery on 6 May 2021 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 10:45 pm    

This is a history of Nationals from the Patent Pendings on, most of them can still be purchased. Maybe you can find the exact ones you like best.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305084240/http://nationalfingerpicks.com/