The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Pleasant Hilton VP Experience
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 3:49 pm    

A good friend has a regular Hilton pedal that he wanted me to sell for him. I like to make sure everything is working properly before posting for sale, so I gave it a try.

It seemed to me that this pedal, for lack of a better description, evened out the sound and made for a smoother overall tone. I liked it so well that I decided to buy it from him instead of selling it here.

I used it at the jam barn all night a week or so ago, and I thought it mellowed out the sound. I don't mean muddied up, but just a better overall character of sound.

I was going to A/B it with my usual trusty Goodrich 120 that I had left out there, but I got sick and had to leave before I had the opportunity.

I will do that though next time we meet.

Has anyone else had this experience? I used a Hilton just briefly once before and thought it was a very nice pedal, but I've mostly been a pot pedal guy.

This one has the attached power cable which I'm not crazy about or the fact that it needs external power, but I believe I played better because I really liked the sound I was getting with this pedal.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 4:04 am    

Jerry, I tried a newer Hilton pedal after my Goodrich got scratchy and it was fine but a slightly different tone. I used it a few days then another Goodrich with a new pot and discovered they all had an effect on the tone and sweep. I pot a Clarostat pot from my reserve in the old Goodrich and went back to it as my main pedal. I really didn't compare them as you did. Maybe I will do that as a test.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 9:13 am    

Jerry, the earliest versions of the Hilton had a tone adjustment screw (in addition to a volume screw and an off-point adjustment). I can't recall, but I think at least one of those tiny blue tone or volume screws were hidden under the plate on the bottom of the pedal.

The reason I say 'can't recall' is because my Hilton no longer has that control. When I sent my trusy first-generation pedal in for repair after 15 years of HARD service in the trenches, Keith removed those tone and volume adjustments. He explained in email "I also like to remove the "Volume, and Tone" adjustments, leaving only the "off point" adjustment. Since 2008 all my pedals have just had one adjustment on the bottom, the "off point" adjustment." At some point, I remember him saying on the forum he removed those since people were frequently over-turning the tiny screws and breaking the pot. And those controls weren't really necessary.

So, maybe your Hilton is one that has the tone adjustment and has some high-end rolled off and that's why you're finding it smooth sounding? If you don't see that adjustment on the bottom, try removing the bottom plate and looking for a blue screw.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 3:36 pm    

Don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining. The pedal sounds great to me. I guess my query was about whether anyone else had seen this balanced tone that I mentioned.

Yes, it is an early one and I'm sure David bought it new and wouldn't be one to mess with the controls. Me neither at this point.

Here's a photo. It's several years old but just like new. He was putting it up for sale because he almost never used it.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 3:46 pm    

Jerry, that’s a nice one, looks brand new. I think that it might have the model designation of “V1”. I’ve got one like it and a very recent one too, both are great pedals and have been trouble free.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 3:49 pm    

I have two Hilton pedals that have the vol., off-point and tone adjustments. Also has the Motorola "Wall-wart"

The pedal with this configuration acts as a pre-amp. Very easy to adjust with a tiny blade screw driver. It does take a little patience to get the sound you want. Just remember your not trying to drive a screw into a piece of wood!!!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 5:51 pm    

I don't have any plans to adjust anything on it. I like it just they way it is, but never say never.

I don't guess I really need a manual but being the gearhead that I am, I'd like to get one.

JVH, thanks for the links to the old thread, model I.D.s, with Keith's input, explanations and advice.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=150626&highlight

Johnny Jones

Benton, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 7:40 pm     Hilton Volume Pedal

Hey Jerry,I have 2 of the early Hilton pedals.Great pedals,and with the attached power chord,if you have your pedal,you won't forget your power supply.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 1:07 am    

A good pot pedal has characteristics that many players enjoy (still a majority? - maybe time for a poll), but they're really only turning technical limitations to good account. An active pedal with nothing mechanical in the signal path will always sound more transparent, so I'm not surprised Jerry's enjoying his. But I guess there will always be a market for that classic sound, like playing Beethoven on horns with no valves.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 4:21 am    

Thanks, Jerry O. That was the link that contained Keith’s explanation that I was thinking about however, a “senior moment” prevented me from posting it 😀. I’ve never felt a need to adjust anything on either of my pedals, still same settings as whenever they left Keith’s shop.