The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper Steel Guitar Amplifier Profiles
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 5:51 pm    

Hi Mike; thanks for checking out these profiles, hope you find something that works for you. The last one I used was the Webb w BW 15 and it was very user friendly. Best of luck!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 9:31 am    

TTT

Gerald Turnbow

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 12:44 pm     Kemper patches for steel guitar

Mike - just wanted to say "thanks" for posting these. I just got my Kemper Profiler rack model this weekend and downloaded the profiles - they sound awesome! They make my student model GFI steel sound great, at least to the limited extent of my budding capabilities as a PSG "newbie". The selection of amps, along with the Kemper, makes it easy to find the appropriate sound for each type of song we do.

I've been using a Boss GT100 for guitars, fiddle, dobro, mandolin, and lap steel, but it couldn't handle the pedal steel without breaking up and distorting or creating digital artifacts. I'll now be able to get rid of an amp and use a single unit for everything! I was using a Headrush FRFR 108 for the GT100, and it sounds great with the Kemper.

My sincere thanks to you and all the pro's on this forum that are making this journey much easier!

Jerry Turnbow

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2023 12:50 pm    

Hi Gerald; It’s great to hear these profiles are working for you, thanks for the positive feedback, I just recorded with mine and it passed the “I can’t tell the difference “.. test!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2023 2:02 pm     Update!

I finally had an opportunity to use my Kemper in a studio for recording and it did not disappoint! My next pending question was..”what would it sound like through a speaker”? I have a Tommy Huff Cabinet that has a 3 space rack built in and I housed an Eminence PF-400, 15” speaker in it along with my Kemper. Mine is the unpowered version so for this test my friend Ron Hogan brought his TC Electronic BAM 200 pre amp over to power the speaker. The signal chain was guitar into the input of the Kemper, 1/4” output (L) into the input of the BAM 200, output of the BAM 200 to the PF-400 and we had sound. This particular method enabled us to send the already profiled & tested amps direct to F.O.H. Or mixing console but be able to shape the tone of the speaker because the BAM 200 is a mono 200 watt Bass pre amp with volume, treble, middle and bass controls on it so the musician can add EQ to the speaker without having to touch the presets being sent to the console so now musician & mixer have what they need to be happy. So far this is a very compact workable solution with an entire library of amplifiers available. The combo amp is mono with one speaker but with a stereo amp you could easily have two if desired. The Kemper sends a stereo signal via XLR cables to the console. I intend to use this amp going forward and more than likely sell the others in my collection. Just thought I’d share the update to those interested, thanks.. here’s a pic….PS;..this amp is a similar size to a Webb 6-14 E and weighs 40 lbs.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2023 3:52 pm     Re: Update!

Mike Holder wrote:
I finally had an opportunity to use my Kemper in a studio for recording and it did not disappoint! My next pending question was..”what would it sound like through a speaker”? I have a Tommy Huff Cabinet that has a 3 space rack built in and I housed an Eminence PF-400, 15” speaker in it along with my Kemper. Mine is the unpowered version so for this test my friend Ron Hogan brought his TC Electronic BAM 200 pre amp over to power the speaker. The signal chain was guitar into the input of the Kemper, 1/4” output (L) into the input of the BAM 200, output of the BAM 200 to the PF-400 and we had sound. This particular method enabled us to send the already profiled & tested amps direct to F.O.H. Or mixing console but be able to shape the tone of the speaker because the BAM 200 is a mono 200 watt Bass pre amp with volume, treble, middle and bass controls on it so the musician can add EQ to the speaker without having to touch the presets being sent to the console so now musician & mixer have what they need to be happy. So far this is a very compact workable solution with an entire library of amplifiers available. The combo amp is mono with one speaker but with a stereo amp you could easily have two if desired. The Kemper sends a stereo signal via XLR cables to the console. I intend to use this amp going forward and more than likely sell the others in my collection. Just thought I’d share the update to those interested, thanks.. here’s a pic….PS;..this amp is a similar size to a Webb 6-14 E and weighs 40 lbs.

It was an interesting and learning experiment. BTW...Mike has some good chops and licks!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 12:28 pm    

TTT

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2023 4:07 pm    

TTT

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 1:01 pm    

Has anyone profiled an old 1964 Standel 83L15V steel amp for Kemper yet?

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2023 2:34 pm    

That would sound glorious!… do it!

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2023 5:58 am    

I’ve been following all things Kemper here on the forum with great interest and my question to you guys that are using one live is this…are you able to tweak the EQ in a live setting and expect the same response that you would from a “real” amp? Or is it more of a “whatcha captured is whatcha get” and if you try tweaking live you’ll muckle things up?

Thanks!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2023 6:04 am    

You can always tweak the tone to satisfy your ears but if you're sending a direct line to the soundboard, whatever you tweak goes to them also. if you come out of the monitor out or the 1/4 inch outputs into an eq or power amp etc. you can tweak that after the fact and not affect the F.O.H. send so there is flexibility depending on your needs if you route the signal accordingly.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2023 7:23 am    

Thanks Mike for putting these profiles together, I'm kind of overwhelmed at the possibilities of the Kemper. I haven't seen any Quilter profiles yet, do you know if anyone has profiled a Quilter for steel guitar yet?
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2023 7:29 am    

Hi Darvin; I unaware of any as of yet but we will be doing a run of amps in the future to include a Quilter Steelaire , block 202, Sho-Bud Christmas Tree, Standel custom 15, Stereo Steel, LeMay, Revelation etc. We’re just trying to find a few open days to profile but once done we’ll announce it.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2023 9:08 am    

Great, I’m looking forward to trying them out.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2023 9:58 am    

I am also looking forward to hearing these profiles (new ones). Exciting!

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2023 4:08 pm    

Mike,thanks to you and Scotty for doing this!Can't wait to hear the new profiles!

Best,
SH

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2023 7:12 am    

Hopefully soon Steve; Scott is always in a studio which hinders his profile time with our project but we’re anxious to proceed at first opportunity. I heard you were using one these days also..such a great useful tool!…thanks..Mike

Terry Skaggs

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2023 12:31 pm     Thanks

Mike, thanks for profiling these amps...they sound great. Especially like the dual showman.

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2023 2:07 pm    

Hi Terry; Glad you like them, I actually own the Dual Showman and it’s a great amp! Appreciate the comments on the profiles and hope more players give them a try. ..Mike

Jerry Touval

Great Falls, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2023 6:38 am    

Mike – Just got my Kemper this past Friday and loaded your profiles into it yesterday. Sounding great. Its going to be a learning curve to tweak them to my pedal steel and lap steel pickups, but I’m loving the process. Thanks!

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2023 5:59 pm    

Hi Jerry; glad you like them, most people find one or two that serve their purposes, enjoy!!…Mike

Mike Holder

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2023 4:40 pm    

T.T.T.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2023 7:18 am    

forrest klott wrote:
I’ve been following all things Kemper here on the forum with great interest and my question to you guys that are using one live is this…are you able to tweak the EQ in a live setting and expect the same response that you would from a “real” amp? Or is it more of a “whatcha captured is whatcha get” and if you try tweaking live you’ll muckle things up?

Thanks!

Now, Kemper has come out with something in their beta 10.0 OS version called liquid profiling. This allows you to merge the sound of the profiled amp with the actual modeled circuitry of the amp itself so that the gain knob now behaves the same way it does on the original amp and the tone knobs affect the tone just like they do on the original amp. Kemper’s list of amp circuit models right now is kind of limited, but I’m sure that will expand greatly in the future. This is very exciting and I can’t believe it’s free. The Kemper never ceases to amaze me plus their prices seem to have come down, where else is that happening anywhere?

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2023 2:35 pm     New Kemper User

I just snagged a powered Kemper head for $1,049 from Sam Ash. It's used but appears to be in mint condition, and it has a 45 day return window. I look forward to trying it out with these profiles as soon as it arrives in a few days. If it sounds good through the headphones and line out then I'll go ahead and buy a cab for it. Are people using the Kemper-branded Kabinet, or just a generic cab with the speaker of their choice? What about onboard effects?