The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just amp and pedal steel
Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 6:15 am    

I’ve been wondering how many players that use just the amp without all of the gatties that’s on the market I’ve for a while now going form guitar to vp to amp with the on board reverb it sure has cut down on my weight and time of setup and don’t sound bad either

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 8:08 am    

I've always just used a steel guitar, volume pedal and a 1979 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb. JBL of course.

I've never felt the need for anything else.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 8:58 am    

I use just the "basics". A '76 Emmons D10, 9&7, Goodrich Omni pedal, amp reverb in a Session 400. Split cases for the steel. It's all heavy but I guess I'm just set in my old age ways!

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 9:02 am    

Quite often I do just that. Sometimes when I play Rockabilly or early Honky Tonk on non-pedal Fender I don’t even use a volume pedal. Reverb on 2 if at all. I CAN use a ton of effects but I can do Minimalist with the best of ‘em!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 9:40 am    

Push/pull #1714 D into Emmons pot VP into LTD 400 since 1977. Works for me, but weighs a ton.

Most recently I've used one of two old GS-10s acquired this Century into an Emmons pot VP into a Session 400 head through a TT-12 in a separate cab. Lots easier on the back, and sounds just great (to me, anyhow).

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 9:48 am    

it worked for all the greats back in the day. and it still does

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 10:59 am     Just amp and pedal steel

All I am now using is my 74 Emmons wood neck bolt on, a Goodrich 120 pedal with an AB 500k pot. Using the spring reverb in my Marsh tube amp head and a JBL D-130 speaker. I'm liking my 12" Wheelhouse 150 neo speaker a lot, so I may be going to it. I've had all the gizmo's, inc. some expensive rack units. My sound is different now, but I'm really digging it. I think I'm not sucking the tone out of my old 74 PP with electronic gadets. For now, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by George Kimery on 27 Apr 2021 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 12:12 pm    

Some do some don't. Whatever works for you. Back in the day they didn't even use reverb, which BTW IS an effect.

Personally, I don't like to play without reverb and a little delay. That gives me what I want to hear. Sounds a little dull without those.

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 5:10 pm    

A little food for thought:

As noted above reverb is an effect, just an onboard one in most amps. However, steels with great sustain and tone like an Emmons PP or a Franklin through a good tube amp can sound surprisingly lush in a small room with no reverb at all. I’ve a 1962 a Fender Concert(before onboard reverb), and most folks that play it often don’t realize that there’s no reverb because it sounds very good as is.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 5:55 pm    

Steel,VP,amp...

SH

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 5:09 am    

What Jerry said!

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 5:37 am    

If "Steel,VP,amp..."works for Steve Hinson, who in my book is one of the best, what more could I possibly need? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with racks or stomp boxes, I just don't use them.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 6:20 am    

Sure worked for Jimmy Day and Buddy Charleton.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 6:25 am    

steel, black box, Hilton VP, amp

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 6:58 am    

Ben Lawson wrote:
If "Steel,VP,amp..."works for Steve Hinson, who in my book is one of the best, what more could I possibly need? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with racks or stomp boxes, I just don't use them.

Thank you for the kind words,Ben!

Though I have used racks, stomp boxes, etc.from time to time,I always go back to just straight into the amp...that's what I'm using these days on live gigs, and in the studio(if I'm using an amp)...that's what works for me!

Hope you are well, my friend!

SH

Last edited by Steve Hinson on 28 Apr 2021 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 7:09 am    

What Hinson said!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 7:12 am    

Not all the great players shunned effects other than reverb. I recall the great master Buddy Emmons nearly always had effects of some sort. No less than a little DD3 or similar.

I don't know what these kind of posts are supposed to accomplish. Many players use effects to great advantage.

Some players don't like them. Some players don't know how to use them.

It's a big world and players like all sorts of different things. Your way is not right or wrong. It's just what you prefer at the moment.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 8:56 am     Steel and amp

I love the tone I’m getting with just the amp I’ve been in gospel music for about 25 years now some churches I go into don’t have the room to set up a lot of extra stuff little by little I’ve been down sizing with a fender deluxe reverb and a new fender twin tonemaster I can get a good tone over the years of buying gadgets I could have paid for a couple of new guitars I really don’t miss any of the effects it’s so much sempiler now less trips in and out to the truck 1 trip dose it I asked the question just to see if I was in the boat alone but I se I’m sailing with a few more thanks for your response

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 12:55 pm    

I'm happy for you that you have found what works for you Paul.

That's what matters.

Apologies if my reply seemed crabby or curt. Best, JO.

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 1:58 pm    

If I’m playing with an “all acoustic” set, I’ll generally just use guitar, volume pedal and amp with onboard reverb however, with a full band, I’ll use a little delay too.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 2:06 pm    

it really does depend on the situation. I skip all effects but a touch of reverb on a traditional country gig. if I'm in more of a rock or "jam" setting, it's fun to have more textures like phaser, distortion, wah, delay, etc... been having a ball with the EHX organ machines lately Cool

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 2:37 pm    

I DO use amp reverb...

I DO NOT count it as an effect...

That is all...

SH

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 3:10 pm    

The band I'm in is 80% country, but we play a variety of music and take requests. Some songs require a sound other than straight steel guitar. My basic is delay and reverb, but also need a small variety of effects to fit the tune (dobro and slight crunch distortion). Can't leave home without them. The other toys stay at home. Fit the need.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 3:50 pm    

I use steel into amp with reverb most of the time.....but then a gain I'm thinking Sneakey Pete and his use of phase. There's a place for effects for sure. I speculate too that folks get tired of hearing the same sounds from me at a four hour gig and it's not a bad thing to vary my sound.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 6:42 am    

I play guitar - VP - amp with on board reverb. I do keep a boss tone in my seat but rarely use it.