The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  string gauge for 3rd string
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 5:53 am    

Anybody using 12s for the 3rd string on e9 tuning? Is that too much to ask of a 12 gauge string?

I would try 11.5 if available, but it's not in the strings I'm using (NYXL).

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 5:58 am    

I went the other route back in the day... .009 .010 and of course .011... Been using .012 now for several years and to me the difference is HUGE... Not only do they sound better and more substantial then the smaller gauges, but they feel better when picking them too. AND, as a side benefit, DON'T Break with the frequency of the smaller gauges.

BTW, I too use the 12-38 NYXL's ... best strings I've used
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Last edited by Dale Rottacker on 27 Apr 2021 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 6:01 am    

Been using a 12 for years. I haven't tried the NYXL set, but I like the way the medium set gauges are laid out. That's the set with a 12 for the third string. Gonna have to give them a go.

Yeah, you should be just fine with the 12. You'll just have to adjust your pedal tuning a tad.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 6:49 am    

12s for me. Very Happy
Erv

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 7:10 am    

Dale Rottacker wrote:
I went the other route back in the day... .009 .010 and of course .011... Been using .012 now for several years and to me the difference is HUGE... Not only do they sound better and more substantial then the smaller gauges, but they feel better when picking them too. AND, as a side benefit, DON'T Break with the frequency of the smaller gauges.

BTW, I too use the 12-38 NYXL's ... best strings I've used

.012s for me too, but will use .011 or .0115 if that is what is in whatever pack of strings I am using at the time.

Speaking of using thinner strings, when I ordered my first guitsr (ZB) at a music store, they loaned me a Fender PSG. It had no roller nuts. I ended up using it as a non-pedal guitar because the 3rd string would break almost immediately when pressing the B pedal. I got down to trying a .008 (the smallest the music store had), and it still broke. That thin string could barely be heard when picked with other strings.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 8:35 am    

.012 used for decades. Better tone, less breakage.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 8:57 am    

I use a .012 for the third string and I get the best and fullest tone out of that string with the Live Steel brand of strings. Very Happy
Erv

Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 11:03 am    

I switched from 11 to 12 a while back. I had to retune of course and I also had to change the bell crank hole to get the timing back in sync with string 6.

Jerry Kippola

UP Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 12:21 pm    

.o12 never breaks--

Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 5:46 am     11.5

I have used 11.5 for many years. They sound and hold up very good. Well worth a try for anyone.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 6:44 am     Go .12

I’ve fought w/ .11 gauge waaay too much. I’ve got a 25.5” scale Excel, and all would snap at random places when raised from pitch EXCEPT reinforced George Ls (I think) that I would get here in town from Scotty’s, since unavailable. I thought that going up in thickness would just create more tension & breakage, but I put a .12 Ernie Ball reinforced on there & it’s made it for 4 mos. of 2-6 or so hrs./ week play. Got mine on Amazon, the seller was First Stop Music Shop. Seller is a former music equipment rep that does his own distribution & buys in bulk from manufacturers, so you can look him up on Google & give him a ring (I did- very helpful guy) if you’re in need of a specific gauge/manufacturer/reinforced, etc.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 6:24 pm    

I have used a .011 (George L's) for years and for the last 2.5 years on my MSA Legend XL with no problems. I thought I'd try a .012 for kicks a few weeks ago and it broke after one weekend.

Back to .011's

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 7:10 pm    

I've used .012's on every guitar I have owned in the 44 years I have played PSG.
Minimum string breakage and a lot fatter tone !
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 7:26 pm    

I've used 12's since the civil war, in every sewing project/steel guitar/surgery. I like the feel/tone more than thinner gauges-not too much to ask of a guitar- a cheap experiment I'd recommend.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 6:19 am     String gauge

What is a reinforced string? How much larger is a .012 than .0115 string? .(0005). Is the tolerance on string manufacturing that close (.0005) ? Or is this some type of averaging? Did machine work ,.0005 is clooooose.If quality controll isn't good,then a string may have a thin spot or alloy problem and break regardless of it's advertised size, may , just wondering, no way of knowing . Bottom line seems to be, what works best for you is the best string, regardless of the advertising (and sometimes other sources of input) just saying or just wondering, pondering ?

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 7:20 am     Reinforced string

Larry, the reinforcement is at the ball end of the string- it’s wrapped w/ some type of filament (I suppose) to support where it’s wound, sort of like an ACE wrap supporting an injured joint (more supposition and conjecture). I couldn’t find any .11 reinforced, so I had to go .12. I didn’t do any A/B recording between the two, but I have it in my head that the .12 sounds out more prominently, so it must be so, right?

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 9:59 pm    

I used a .12 for a few years and liked the way it felt a lot but on my rig it sounded kind of “disembodied” from the other strings tonally. Using 11.5 Livesteels now.