The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin & Friends: NASHVILLE STEEL GUITAR CAMP!
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 3:47 pm    

The plan is to have a few Workshops running while the Main Room is on break.
The Workshops will be repeated enough times so that all will have an opportunity to visit them all at least once. That’s the plan, it may change. 😀

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:25 pm    

John Spaulding wrote:

Hi Joe-

Thanks for your interest in the Camp. We have many online video courses (including the no-expiration Paul Franklin & Tommy White course "Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Vol. 1") that teach technique and the physical aspects of playing. You can enroll in any of those and watch the videos over and over if you learn best that way. Doug Jernigan does Skype lessons, that is always an option.

The very first class with Paul on Day One is "How To Learn Without Your Guitar". If that is not something your are expert at yet, it's the perfect time to learn how to do it better. Developing your musicianship away from the guitar is an essential skill, and something all the instructors have mastered.

You won't need to remember hours or days later, you would refer to the notes you took and TABs you made of any playing examples that were used to demonstrate a broader concept. You can record audio for personal use to refer to after the fact.

The value of the camp is having a weekend's access to the thought processes and insights of some of the greatest to ever play the pedal steel. They'll be readily available to answer any questions. If you have specific technique questions that were not covered in any of the classes, ask all of them!

We expect over 100 players at the Camp. Beyond not having the physical space to accommodate that many guitars, there is no practical way to have an individual, hands-on experience at that level. If Paul (for example) went around the room and spent just 5 minutes with each of the 100 students at their guitars going over a single lick, that's 8+ hours spent to make sure everyone learned one lick.

We hope you can join us, there is so much to learn from these instructors, and we doubt we'll be able to get them all in the same place together again.

Thanks,

John at MMM

John - Thank you very much for the thorough and well-explained response. It sounds like a different and fresh approach, and I will give this one some consideration, for sure. Smile

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:30 pm    

Are there events on Friday ? Like to see a schedule to see if I can get away and check flights, etc.

thx

bob

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:54 pm    

We don't have any kind of schedule to share yet. As we have mentioned, it will be posted when it is ready, change often and may not be exactly what we end up doing.

We do know that Friday is Check-In, a Meet & Greet with Paul and a performance featuring Paul. Classes start Saturday morning.

Terry Denney

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 3:26 pm    

Flying in from Arizona for this. Can't wait. We checked into lyft and uber rides. Anywhere from $60-$100 from the airport.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 4:38 pm    

Terry Denney wrote:
Flying in from Arizona for this. Can't wait. We checked into lyft and uber rides. Anywhere from $60-$100 from the airport.

Traveling out of the Nashville airport on Friday afternoon is pretty tough. The traffic in Nashville was pretty bad everywhere in rush hour two years ago, I don't know if the pandemic has slowed it down.

Terry Denney

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 5:38 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Terry Denney wrote:

Traveling out of the Nashville airport on Friday afternoon is pretty tough. The traffic in Nashville was pretty bad everywhere in rush hour two years ago, I don't know if the pandemic has slowed it down.

That's good to know. May fly in on Thursday night now.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 7:50 am    

This will be an historic event! I’m looking forward to it and seeing everyone!

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 6:19 pm    

I’ll be there. Anybody else from the Seattle, WA, OR, CA Zarqa gonna be there? Possibly same flight? Wanna ride share? Hit me up!

Email: patrickwmchenry@gmail.com

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 7:28 pm    

My daughters enrolled me as a gift. I told them they not only gave me a great vacation, they also did all the other attendees a favor. This ensures that no matter your experience or skill level, there will be someone else more confused than you Very Happy Laughing Rolling Eyes .

Chris Willingham

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 1:40 pm    

Just got my ticket and room! Can't wait!

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 4:44 pm    

Anyone from the Bay Area going? Would be nice to coordinate rides from the airport.

bob

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 6:41 pm    

Barring any flight delays, I will be arriving at BNA on Friday at 12:30 pm and flying out on Monday at 1:30 pm. I got a rental car, so if anyone has a similar flight schedule and would like a ride, feel free to message me.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 12:23 pm     UPDATE: Lloyd Green Joins Nashville Steel Guitar Camp!

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 2:53 pm    

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSS!Great News!

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 4:25 pm    

It just keeps getting better!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 5:36 pm    

I would love to be able to come to this ... unfortunately us international guys are not going to be on any flights before the Camp ... not from NZ at least! They'll probably open up the borders the weekend after the camp is finished hehe !!
Hopefully this will be an annual event so I can get to the next one - hoped to be Vaxed up pretty soon so that might help my travel aspirations.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2021 6:59 pm    

We wish you could make it, too, Paddy. Hopefully this is the First Annual! It'll be tough to top this lineup!!

Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 11:16 am     Camp

Tried to book the lodge but they said they have no vacancies. That was fast. Really wanted to come to the camp. Guess I will have to check other hotels.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 11:23 am    

Dennis-

There are several nearby hotel options on the website. We are working to get another Group Rate with one of them, so please stand by and check back here for updates if you want to see what that looks like. We should know if they can give us a good rate in the next day or two.

John

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2021 12:20 pm    

John Spaulding wrote:
Dennis-

There are several nearby hotel options on the website. We are working to get another Group Rate with one of them, so please stand by and check back here for updates if you want to see what that looks like. We should know if they can give us a good rate in the next day or two.

John

Dickson is really close, there are a bunch of hotels there, I have stayed at several of them. The Econolodge is a bargain, it is highly rated, but if you want finer accommodations there are a number of nicer hotels located close the the interstate. Montgomery Bell is a really nice location.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 10:30 am    

Dennis-

We have negotiated a Group Rate with the Best Western in Dickson, 10.6 miles away from the venue.

Best Western Dickson, TN
615-446-0541
Group Code: Steel Guitar Camp
Book early, rooms are limited!
$119.99 per night plus tax/fees

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2021 12:53 pm     Looking for a room at The Lodge

Hola, Forum. *Dave- if I’ve posted inappropriately (and John, apologies in advance if I have) please let me know, and I’ve no issue with you removing or moving this post. Not trying to stomp on the OP’s thread*

I’ve acquired my ticket and am looked forward to the highlight of the year!

Currently in the process of booking a room nearby as The Lodge has no vacancies at this time. If anyone has a room booked on site and finds themselves unable to attend (or has an extra room reserved which they won’t be using), I’d be happy to assume that reservation and cover any cancellation fees applied. Shoot me a PM or email if you need to lose a room, yes?

Be good,
-Pete

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 10:44 am    

NEW Promo Video up on YouTube!!

Nashville Steel Guitar Camp

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 12:29 pm    

I visited the Lodge over the weekend and for all that have been able to get rooms there.....you will not be disappointed. The place is awesome.