The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin & Friends: NASHVILLE STEEL GUITAR CAMP!
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 12:48 pm    

WHO: Paul Franklin & Friends
WHAT: Nashville Steel Guitar Camp
WHERE: The Lodge at Montgomery Bell
WHEN: August 13-15, 2021

Learn From The Legends!

Join Paul Franklin & Friends for an immersive, two-day, three-night Steel Guitar Camp .

Get up-close and personal access, and learn from the best via a mix of live performances/jams, seminars, workshops, Q&As, Meet & Greets and more - all day and into the night!

Paul's scheduled guests include steel guitar legends Bruce Bouton, Dan Dugmore, Doug Jernigan, JayDee Maness, Russ Pahl, Jim Vest, & Tommy White, and special guest — Dobro master Jerry Douglas!

Located in a beautiful Tennessee State Park,The Lodge at Montgomery Bell is a perfect setting to get away from it all and surround yourself with "all things steel guitar".

More details to follow as we get everyone's schedule sorted out. We'll post updates in this thread.

Last edited by John Spaulding on 5 May 2021 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 3:38 pm    

Ticket bought and room reserved. Looking forward to this one.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 4:37 pm    

I’m in ! Is there a group code for special rate at the lodge ?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 5:00 pm    

Great! Just ask for the Steel Guitar Camp group rate when you call the hotel, or tell them Modern Music Masters as the group name. They have 50 rooms reserved at the discount rate.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 6:14 pm     Update!!!

West Coast Steel legend JayDee Maness will be joining us!!!

Last edited by John Spaulding on 4 May 2021 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 4:42 pm    

One member had an issue with the NV Steel Guitar Camp website. As far as we can tell, the website is working properly - I and others have accessed it without any issue. I have moved those posts.

To avoid derailing this thread - if you have any issues with the website, first check to see if you have a browser, security/antivirus, or ISP issue, and as a last resort please communicate your issue to the organizers via email or private messsage and not on this thread. Thanks.

Steve Palousek

Holland. Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 8:29 am     Good Opportunity

Just bought my ticket. Lodge reservations are made. I figure this will be my best opportunity to get some new ideas from some of my favorite players before I get too old to play.

Last edited by Steve Palousek on 1 May 2021 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 8:41 am     Steel Camp

Steve; We picked the right instrument! We're allowed to sit down on the job, if we're bald we either shave our heads or wear a hat, We're never too old or too fat to play the Pedal Steel!!

Jay Dee Maness

North Hills, CA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 8:08 pm     camp

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Paul Franklin steel camp. come one and all it will be a great time.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 11:35 pm    

John, etc.......I see it says NOT to bring our instruments. Does that include even keeping it in our rooms? Will there be extra steels available for practice or use during the workshops?

Thanks!

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 5:36 am     Guitars

Hi Jim.

Absolutely bring your guitars if you want to use them in your room. We just don’t anticipate having the space and logistics to accommodate them inside the conference rooms where classroom instruction and workshops are held. There may be an area available that would work for practice guitars, we’re still investigating that possibility.

You can record audio for personal use and you will have blank TAB and note paper provided to copy anything down. Big video screen with overhead shot of instructor guitar is planned.

Paul’s last seminar in Dallas was 90+ people and no guitars. We are expecting at least that many with this legendary line up of influential and innovative players.

At present, Session 1 on Saturday morning is Paul’s presentation on “How To Learn Without Your Guitar”, which might open up a few doors for folks who have not explored that skill. Jerry Douglas’ Session is on Sunday afternoon. Those are the current confirmed time slots, but all is subject to change as we put the scheduling puzzle together.

Last edited by John Spaulding on 5 May 2021 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 10:45 am    

After being cooped up working from home for over a year, I’m treating myself to this one and look forward to it. Should you need any guitars for a jam room, I’ll be happy to donate the use of mine. I haven’t decided whether to drive or fly yet. Luckily, I have a bunch of miles saved up should i end up flying in. Hope to see y’all there!

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 2:21 pm    

I am in... Great stuff!

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 1:33 pm     *Wendy Moten Confirmed*

Brilliant vocalist and song stylist Wendy Moten will be joining us for the weekend!

You can hear her latest album here: I've Got You Covered

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 4:09 pm    

It would be nice if we could have a blog where we could introduce each other to ourselves before the camp!

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 5:15 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
It would be nice if we could have a blog where we could introduce each other to ourselves before the camp!

A blog or bulletin board would be nice not only for introductions but for ride-sharing between BNA & The Lodge. Splitting the cost of a rental car for 4 days among 4 passengers comes out to about $100 each - gotta be competitive with an Uber (that's if you can find one). Ride-sharing/cost-sharing could work also for the round trip between home and the airport of departure. It will take a fair amount of schedule coordination for sure but may be worth it to make getting there more cost-effective, less of a hassle and ... more fun?

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 5:45 am    

I know nothing about constructing a blog, another option which might be simpler is What's App or both?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 8:26 am     *UPDATE* Phil Bradbury Workshop

Amplifier Guru Phil Bradbury from Little Walter Tube Amps will be giving an "All Things Amplifiers" workshop!!

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 12:24 pm    

Frank Freniere wrote:
Darrell Criswell wrote:

A blog or bulletin board would be nice not only for introductions but for ride-sharing between BNA & The Lodge. Splitting the cost of a rental car for 4 days among 4 passengers comes out to about $100 each - gotta be competitive with an Uber (that's if you can find one). Ride-sharing/cost-sharing could work also for the round trip between home and the airport of departure. It will take a fair amount of schedule coordination for sure but may be worth it to make getting there more cost-effective, less of a hassle and ... more fun?

Just start your own thread in the event section of this forum. Title it something like Steel Camp Attendees check-in and discussion.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 6:19 pm     *UPDATE* Maintenance and Mechanics Workshop

Maintenance and Mechanics For Push-Pull and All-Pull Guitars with Mike Scaggs and Wayne Dahl.

A masterclass in understanding pedal steel guitar setup and maintenance.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 3:03 am     Paul Franklin & Friends: NASHVILLE STEEL GUITAR CAMP!

Just booked it wife and I 5 day stay can't wait
To meet all the greats.

P.w

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 10:08 am    

I was really hoping this was hand-on instruction - just seeing an instruction and hoping to remember what was said hours or days later is not likely to happen for me, unfortunately. Plus, having an opportunity to have the legends instruct me away from bad techniques is one the best advantages of hands-on instruction.

Any chance that bringing steels to class would be an option at this point?

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 12:15 pm    

Joe Alterio wrote:
I was really hoping this was hand-on instruction - just seeing an instruction and hoping to remember what was said hours or days later is not likely to happen for me, unfortunately. Plus, having an opportunity to have the legends instruct me away from bad techniques is one the best advantages of hands-on instruction.

Any chance that bringing steels to class would be an option at this point?

Hi Joe-

Thanks for your interest in the Camp. We have many online video courses (including the no-expiration Paul Franklin & Tommy White course "Contemporary Pedal Steel Guitar Vol. 1") that teach technique and the physical aspects of playing. You can enroll in any of those and watch the videos over and over if you learn best that way. Doug Jernigan does Skype lessons, that is always an option.

The very first class with Paul on Day One is "How To Learn Without Your Guitar". If that is not something your are expert at yet, it's the perfect time to learn how to do it better. Developing your musicianship away from the guitar is an essential skill, and something all the instructors have mastered.

You won't need to remember hours or days later, you would refer to the notes you took and TABs you made of any playing examples that were used to demonstrate a broader concept. You can record audio for personal use to refer to after the fact.

The value of the camp is having a weekend's access to the thought processes and insights of some of the greatest to ever play the pedal steel. They'll be readily available to answer any questions. If you have specific technique questions that were not covered in any of the classes, ask all of them!

We expect over 100 players at the Camp. Beyond not having the physical space to accommodate that many guitars, there is no practical way to have an individual, hands-on experience at that level. If Paul (for example) went around the room and spent just 5 minutes with each of the 100 students at their guitars going over a single lick, that's 8+ hours spent to make sure everyone learned one lick.

We hope you can join us, there is so much to learn from these instructors, and we doubt we'll be able to get them all in the same place together again.

Thanks,

John at MMM

Eddie D.Bollinger

Calhoun City, Mississippi
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 12:45 pm    

Ticket bought, lodging procured. I'm in disbelief that I
will be in the same room with these masters.
Come on August.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 3:35 pm    

Will there be overlapping events? I hope not but just curious?

bob

(only one that can't access the site Smile