The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mosrite Celebrity 11
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 10:09 am    

I’m not sure where to post this so move it if you will.. I was curious if anyone was familiar with mid sixties “Moserite Celebrity 11” hollow body guitars? I know they were made in “Bako” and had adjustable P90 style pups and tremolo tail piece. A bolt on neck with Kluson tuners.
Were these good guitars? Anyone know anyone who played one?
They looked nice, very similar to an “es335 style” guitar,I’m just curious for anything on these?
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 7:32 pm    

I've had a couple of Celebrity II Mosrites, and they were nice guitars if you like Mosrites like I do. The Mosrite necks are narrow and thin, and the frets are low, it takes a little getting used to. I still have a Mosrite Gospel which has a little thicker body and a symmetrical headstock which some of the older Celebrities had. My Gospel was made in 1973 according to the pot dates. I love it but hardly ever play it. Amazingly the necks are very stable even though they are very thin.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 9:08 am    

Thanks Darvin, your photo looks very similar to the one I was thinking about. I’m more familiar with the Ventures model guitars of the 60’s.
Low frets wouldn’t be a problem with low action. The only concern I have is the bolt on neck.
Does your guitar have a center block or is it completely hollow?
Thanks again for responding.
Nice looking Gospel btw!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 6:51 pm    

Dana, the Gospel has a block in the center as the Celebrity series did. The body on mine is 2 3/4" thick, I think the Celebrity's were 1 3/4" like a Gibson 335.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 8:07 pm    

Thanks again Darvin, That helps me a lot with that info about the center block.