The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Marsh Mello-Verb Amp
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 6:20 pm    

I just got a new Marsh Mello-Verb Junior amp head, 40 watts. I had Mike put a direct out in it, works great. I'm using it with an EPS 15C speaker as of now.

I recorded this using the DO, the only effect is the amp reverb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMW2fg9avMs

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 9:07 pm     New Marsh Mello Verb amp

Norm, welcome to the Marsh club. Mike built me a 40 watt. He now has my 85 watt finished and will be shipping it on Monday. Like you, now I am only using my Marsh tube amp and the amps spring reverb, along with my Emmons bolt on. Don't need anything else to mess with the tone. Also, a Goodrich 120 pedal with an AB 500k pot.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 5:15 am    

George, My Emmons isn't a Bolt On, but I really like it through the Marsh amp. Like you, I'm using a Goodrich pot pedal and the amp's reverb. I'm not using anything else.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 2:37 pm    

Hey Norman,
I looked on the Marsh website, didn't see your model amp listed? did i miss something? Always looking for a great tube amp. So perhaps you can share with us, what's under the hood? all i know for sure is that it has Reverb. Is it powered by 6V6, 6L6, EL34, EL84, 6550, KT66 ????? Is Mike using standard 12AX7 (7025) 12AT7 preamp and Reverb tubes?

Norman, sure wish you were using something else with it, so you could let us know if it's a pretty decent pedal platform. A lot of us do also play standard guitar as well. Any info is Much Appreciated Very Happy

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 3:54 am    

Norman Evans wrote:
George, My Emmons isn't a Bolt On, but I really like it through the Marsh amp. Like you, I'm using a Goodrich pot pedal and the amp's reverb. I'm not using anything else.

His isn't either, it has a bolt on changer on a wood neck...the term "Bolt On" is reserved for bolt on aluminum neck Emmons guitars.. they stopped making then in early 1967.. however I also have a wood neck Emmons.. and it is clearly in the realm of the Emmons push pull tone.. it is a bit different than my aluminum neck bolt on Emmons.. all good.
I got a Marsh amp close to a couple of years ago.. after hearing Tommy White's accolades bout the Mello Verb (enter the rabbit hole).. Mike made me a 85 watt head version in a Showman style setup, Mellow Verb on channel two and Fender Black Face tone stack on channel one... to me it is one of the best new tube amps you can play through.. and I've got or had most of them and his prices are very reasonable and great communication..Mike can accommodate special request such as the head he wired for me..so don't look at the catalog as the only options.. carry on Smile
and nice looking setup Norman

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 3:58 am    

I own several amps but to my ears, my Marsh is definitely #1 in the tone department (especially through a JBL D-130), the on board reverb (which is excellent!) is the only effect used also...George R..From what I understand, the 'Mello-Verb Jr.' circuit is based on the 1960's black face Fender 'Vibrolux' (2x6L6) with a few desirable tweeks such as an added mid control. I wanted mine to be a basic unit with as pure a signal path as possible, but it is my understanding that Mike will add an effects loop if desired.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 5:30 am    

George Redmond, As David said, it's 2 6L6's and ECC83/12AX7's and EEC81/12AT7. I'm really liking this amp. I just don't use pedals, but I imagine they would work well.

George Seymour, Thanks on the setup comment. I have a Telonics 12 4ohm speaker in another cab, but I like the 15C best. It's in a Rick Johnson cab I already had and it's a perfect match for the head. I can only imagine how good yours sounds.