The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Preventing Slipping
Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 6:15 am    

I'm in the early stages of designing a lapsteel. I have been looking at a lot of guitars for inspiration and guidance. I saw some pictures of the Duesenberg Fairytale and it appears that there are rubber strips on the bottom of the guitar. I assume that they are there to keep the steel from sliding off of your lap while playing. Up to that point I never really considered the problem. I looked up some old posts here on the forum to see what people have done for this. A couple of posts indicated that felt was used. Other people said that they used shelf liner, mouse pads, and other rubbery material. Doing further research, I found anti-slip pads for acoustic guitars that you put on your knee.

I would like to hear how other people have solved this problem. The Duesenberg design seems to be straight-forward and simple. The choice of adhesive would be important.

Karlis

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 8:16 am    

I used some stuff I found in a box of computer parts they were tossing out at work. (one man's trash, another man's treasure!) The rubber strips were 1 1/2" x 7" x 1/16" thick, and had adhesive on one side. I believe the pieces can be peeled off easily and repositioned. I got one crooked and peeled it up, granted it wasn't on for long, so I'm not sure the peel method will work if it's been in place for a long period of time. McMaster Carr sells similar stuff. I have the SQU # at work and will post it on Monday once I get back to work.

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 12:13 pm    

That looks like a nice functional solution, Bill. Thanks for posting it.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 12:45 pm    

I haven't checked but maybe Staples or Office Depot carry that anti slip rubber?

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 2:22 pm    

Bill, that is a nice looking steel. The anti-slip treatment looks similar to the Duesenberg treatment. I look forward to your identification of the material. I have looked for rubber on Amazon and there is a ton of it. I am hesitant to buy any of it due to comments like "It smells bad".

Karlis

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 2:46 pm    

Karlis, here's a pic of a few things you can find at your local arts and crafts store (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's etc...) they can be purchased with an adhesive back in foam, felt, cork....and every color under the sun.

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 5:02 pm    

Bill, your guitars are beautiful!

[img][/img]

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 7:24 pm    

I use this on my slippery Silver Hawaiian. I believe it comes in black as well as gray.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 1:00 am    

Thank you Joe and Karlis. That little Butternut one is my favorite. It was the only steel I ever posted a picture of that a couple guys asked me if I would sell it. Too bad I haven't been able to get more of that Butternut. I would love to make a couple more like it. It's the straight grain that actually lights up the sunburst when the sun hits it. It's iridescent when the the conditions are right.

I will get you guys the SKU # for the rubber strips today. Hang loose, it's coming shortly.

Last edited by Bill Groner on 19 Apr 2021 3:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 2:36 am    

OK, 93625K158..........this will get you to the McMaster Carr page. There are a lot of sizes to choose from. I used to race Pinewood derby cars in a league and we used this stuff on the stop section. It was very effective.

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 7:10 am    

Bill, Thank you for the SKU. I ordered a strip this morning.

Karlis

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 6:24 pm    

I've used flocking on the underside of some lap steels.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 6:14 pm    

another 3m product:

I've used these silicone circles in various sizes on pedals and lap steels, you just have to make sure you can get it off without damaging the finish, the adhesive's pretty strong.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Bumpers-Pack-Clear-SP950-NA/dp/B01N922DLO/

Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 4:43 pm     to slip or not to slip

The late Ray Montee had a large collection of "Pandas". He used a piece of shelf liner across his lap rather than glueing anything to his instruments.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 6:36 pm    

I probably wouldn't put it on a vintage instrument, but I use this anti-skid tape on a couple of my newer, slippery steels. Works great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY7572N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1