The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young RIP
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 4:56 pm    

Poco and Rusty's playing were a huge influence on me, like the rest of you. I was in my late teens, early 20s when Poco came on the scene. ▪️ He was still quite active, writing songs, singing, playing multiple instruments on the Blue Elan label. Such a loss!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 5:02 pm    

Wow, stunned by this news. Rusty was a driving force in country rock music. Sad to hear of his passing. RIP Rusty.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 6:30 pm    

Rusty and Mary lived in the little town of Davisville, Mo. I was invited to a jam and picnic there. Rusty played my Steel on a couple songs. He said he really liked it and he signed it for me. We Spent a lot of time talking about Steel. He said he felt bad about being put in the Hall of Fame. He didn't consider his style country. I said it's not about style, but about the influence he had on the instrument. I'll never forget we were both playing guitar on Call it Love, we were really into it. When we finished he looked over at me and said, damn Bill your a rocker. Ha
Rusty was genuine and easy to talk to and I really enjoyed our time together. ROCK ON BROTHER.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 6:32 pm    

Sad news indeed.
Rusty first caught my ear with his spectacular playing on “Bad Weather.”
Such an original player.
RIP

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 6:45 pm     Rusty Young RIP

As a POCO fan from nearly Day 1, I am so saddened to hear this sad news. Rusty (and the Big E) were the reasons that I fell in love with the PSG backed in the 60's.

I spent a lot of time at POCO performances when I lived in Southern California with their different iterations. Moving to Mid-west, I went to every POCO performance I could get to. I was especially happy to be at Rusty's induction to the ISGC Hall of Fame and grateful that he was recognized for his contributions.

One of the Greatest POCO performances was here in Naperville at our 4'th of July Rib Fest with Paul Cotton in the Line-up. It was absolutely Stellar. Rusty whipped out 2 different amazing and blazing solo pieces- one on Lap Steel and the other on Pedal Steel. Too bad, it was a bit chilly, so the crowds were not as large as normal. There were teenage boys talking to each other, leaving the venue and saying that Rusty's playing was horrible. YES, That IS absolute heresy!!!! I told them that they had no idea what they just saw and heard and shook my head in disbelief.

I'll never forget that evening and all of the other times I got to see Rusty and the boys. What a loss to the POCOnut community and the PSG community!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:04 pm    

Damn.
It just hurts.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:15 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Damn.
It just hurts.
oh yes it does.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:22 pm    

Shocked and saddened to hear this. Like so many others here, Rusty was one of my early influences back in the 70s when I was learning to play the pedal steel guitar. Rest in peace, Rusty.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:31 pm    

Great player. Sad loss. Sad

William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:58 pm    

Beyond being a great steel player and influencing so many of us, I always admired him for putting the music, the songs, and the band first. Such an overall superb musician. Rest in peace.

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 8:57 pm    

I'm deeply saddened by his passing. Rusty was always a huge inspiration to me. I've loved his songs and his steel playing for decades. Rusty pretty much single-handedly kept the Poco legacy alive in recent years. I was privileged to see him play live several times over the years and those shows are some of my favorite memories. RIP Rusty.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 12:08 am    

What a loss , Rusty was iconic, a huge influence on so many of us for such a long time. Peace and prayers to Rusty's family and friends.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 2:13 am    

I am sick over this terrible news,,, Rusty was another of my heroes that are gone to soon.
Along with Pete Klienow and Buddy Cage he was my mentor..
That trilogy along with Gerry Garcia to a certain extent formed my entire platform of education on the pedal steel guitar.. Shortly after I became aware of Tom Brumley as well, and was off to the races...
Rusty was not just influence to me, he was a teacher..

Never forget the Poco concert at MSG I saw many decades ago.. Doobie Brothers, Poco and the Outlaws..
3 great groups, yes, but Poco was the best of them on that night, and Rusty was on fire as always... I will always remember him as the great young steel player that lit a fire in me... Rest easy Rusty..... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:41 am    

Oh know one of y heroes shock saw him
With poco prayers are sent RIP

P.w

Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 4:42 am     Rusty

What heart breaking news. Rusty was a class act, and I grew up listening to him play. Stole a lot of licks from him. He and John David Call helped me form my playing style. Saw Poco in Jacksonville in 2019, and got to sit and talk to him. Was hoping to get to see him this year. Prayers to his family and friends. We will miss him.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 5:12 am    

Loved Rusty and Poco since 1969. Saw him on the "Deliverin'" tour in 1970. He was my pedal steel mentor. In 1983 we opened for Poco at Lupos in Providence,R.I. and the feeling of setting my Sho-Bud up right next to Rusty's Sho- Bud was incomparable. Wonderful guy and a revolutionary player. Thank you Rusty. I will always carry you in my heart. Check out his latest album on Blue Elan Records.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 5:20 am    

Prodigal was my favorite song on the suite steel album. starts at 7:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnR6wvbkjDk

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 6:15 am    

RUSTY WAS inducted into the Pedal Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2013. He was very gracious and his performance was perfection. RIP Rusty.

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 6:15 am    

Rusty was inducted into the Pedal Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2013. He was very gracious and his performance was perfection. RIP Rusty.

Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 6:38 am    

Goodbye to one of my heroes. Such a huge influence on so many of us. So glad that Rusty was inducted into the SGHOF
Chuck

Milton Sue

Vista, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 7:17 am     Steel guitar community will miss him

I was lucky enough to see them after the Deliverin’ album at the Santa Monica Civic Aud. One of my top ten concerts. Prayers to the family.

Eric Reeves

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 7:42 am    

I was Youtube diving into old Poco videos and studying Rusty just 4 days ago, and like often happens, fell into a multiple day loop of early Poco albums. Literally was planning my next trip back home to Missouri with the express purpose of finding a few days to travel south down to Steelville to meet one of my idols, only yesterday to see that Rusty passed on to that great gig in the sky. Man, it's hard to express the adoration for a hero that my generation was not really present to appreciate, at least at the highlight of the early Poco years that have influenced me. His killer licks, that fuzz, and the way he was able to use what I'm presuming is an old Leslie cab and speaker to duplicate the B3 on cuts like Kind Woman....just amazing! Luckily in this community, y'all understand the spirit and soul that Rusty left behind and from reading the previous posts, it clearly moves you in a similar way. I shed a tear or two as I read the Rolling Stone article yesterday. Sad that I never got to make his acquaintance, but eternally grateful that I have vinyl and a digital legacy to fall back on constantly! Ride on Rusty!

chuck lemasters

Jacksonburg, WV
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 8:12 am    

His playing inspired me to take up the steel guitar. RIP Rusty Young.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 8:56 am    

I really hate to see this news. I assumed we would have a few more opportunites for Poco reunions... just goes to show: there's only today.

One of the greats from the country rock era, for sure. Condolences to his family.

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 8:59 am    

Sad start to the day. Bought my first PSG from his brother Ronnie at ol' Don Edwards' Guitar City in '71. All fine people including Don and his wife. RIP Russ, and thanks for the inspiration and memories.