The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shubb GS1 bar?
Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 11:22 am    

I just ordered a Shubb GS1 hardwood and steel bar. I am hoping it's easy to hold in a nerve-damaged hand. Has anyone tried one? It for a 1935 Dobro, if that matters, bronze round wound strings.

James Knox

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 11:35 am    

I recently got one and it is currently my favorite! I love the shape, size, weight and especially the feel of holding on to wood rather than steel.

Mark Evans

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 2:30 pm    

The GS is one of a few bars I have. It had fallen into the second line until I picked up a new hog Lazy River weissenborn. The lighter touch/mass sing on this guitar. Plus it’s fast if I want to be fast.

They must be made with slightly softer steel. It has a few tiny dings... but they do not affect tone. Despite having a variety of fancier ($$) bars, I love my Shubb SP1 and SP2

MARK
2017 Richard Wilson Style 1 Weissenborn

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 3:08 pm    

I love it for dobro. I like that it`s a little taller then normal Dobro bars. I have sanded down the top part of the ridges , easier to make slants and return to normal playing position.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 3:12 pm    

I have also lightly sanded one metal end . Not making it a real bullet bar, just a little. I found it would just get stuck on strings . If I do a song with a lot of hammer on/ pull offs I use the other non sanded end.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 1:11 pm    

I would've bought one at my local shop Dusty Strings if it had one bullet nose like Shubb's all metal bars, which are quite good bars. Does seem like it would be easier to grip/manipulate. I think the only other reso style bar with a bullet nose, altho I haven't spent a lot of time looking recently, is the Asher.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 3:47 pm    

I have one and the jury is still out. I find it noisier than the Steven's bar I have, but I like the size and shape of it. I am just starting back on dobro after about a 15 year layoff. Hopefully the noise will get better.

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 4:04 am    

I also have nerve damage due to neuropathy. I had to quit playing my steel for a few years. I just could not grip the bar along with other issues.
I have somewhat recovered and about two years ago started playing my steel again. I had an old Shubb bar stashed away
and started using it. It was just fine for me. It had been sitting in a drawer foe almost ten years before I got it out again. I can do everything with it that I could with the Bullitt bar except for a few reverse slants.
Oh well.... you can't have everything!