The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel kits?
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 7:29 pm    

I found scant info on first glance about this subject. Did anyone ever market a build-it-yourself pedal steel kit? I think it would be difficult to balance cost and quality.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 6:02 am    

In the past there was a kit. It wasn't a good guitar though. Was it the 'Little Buddy'?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 7:41 am    

I think Jimmie Hudson would sell a 10 string Pedal steel guitar Kit.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 7:58 am    

I believe the little buddy came put together however there was a kit from Market Rite called the Mark 1. No idea how many sold but it was a very simple pull release guitar. I have seen one actually put together. I’ve heard from a few people that they actually bought one and never put it together. This was in the 1970s. There was also a course out a while back called steel guitar builder that showed how to make a steel guitar with more basic shop tools rather than a milling machine, lathe etc. today kits can be bought from Hudson. In lap steels one can find kits at Hudson and CB Gitty which is the kit meant for a 2 by 4 build. George boards may offer a kit I can’t recall.

Building your own is probably a good learning experience but for me it would probably be a trip down the road of lost sanity so I’ll leave that to the professionals.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 9:52 am    

At one time, you could buy a pro-level Emmons as a kit. Jimmy Crawford , for example, used to assemble them. His niche was that he would load them up with the Crawford Cluster etc..

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 6:20 pm     kits

I sell Pedal steel kits and lap steel kits.
Also do bass guitar kits as well as Tele style kits.
I also offer a class teaching you to build your pedal steel guitar and A class for lap steel building too.
Most anything you want in the way of a kit guitar.
hudsonsteelguitars.com

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 5:30 am    

steel guitarist magazine had an article on building a psg from available hardware store parts. you can buy them from the forum sales.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 8:04 am    

Daniel McKee wrote:
I believe the little buddy came put together however there was a kit from Market Rite called the Mark 1. No idea how many sold but it was a very simple pull release guitar. I have seen one actually put together. I’ve heard from a few people that they actually bought one and never put it together. This was in the 1970s. There was also a course out a while back called steel guitar builder that showed how to make a steel guitar with more basic shop tools rather than a milling machine, lathe etc. today kits can be bought from Hudson. In lap steels one can find kits at Hudson and CB Gitty which is the kit meant for a 2 by 4 build. George boards may offer a kit I can’t recall.

Building your own is probably a good learning experience but for me it would probably be a trip down the road of lost sanity so I’ll leave that to the professionals.

Yup. It was Market Rite.

Definitely check Hudson out. Jimmie is doing some great things and seems to be very interested in helping his customers.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 2:19 pm    

The Mark 1 kit was my first pedal steel that bought from an ad in Guitar Player Magazine in the mid 1970's.
I think it was $150. Would not stay in tune but it got me started on my steel guitar journey.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 4:22 pm    

Thanks, all! I don't need another guitar, but I was curious. It's great we have builders like Jimmie Hudson and Justice that provide a way for new players to get started on an affordable, quality instrument.