The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  band promo question
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 8:17 am    

Hi gang. Basic question here.

The music scene has changed so much. I am in a 4 piece "jazz-fusion" group (playing my Carter SD 12). We have cut one CD (it is available on Bandcamp, Spotify, etc). Now we are releasing a second bundle of tunes done in DSD using a single mike (nerve-wracking!). We are starting to play local gigs (again) here in the Northeast.

Q: Where do we go from here? Do you have any suggestions as far as marketing our products, getting reviews, stuff like that?

So far I am getting ideas from jazzfuel.com; promusicianhub; and The Crafty Musician.

Any other places, sites, magazines, or people we should know about? Thanks in advance! Chris

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 8:51 pm    

Do you have an agent, or a manager that you can trust and believes in what you’re doing? Unless you enjoy handling the business end of things yourselves, my suggestion would be to get one of those. The rumor has always been that you get taken more seriously with someone in a suit representing you. That is one thing that probably won’t ever change.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 5:44 am    

Thanks, Fred, for your response. Yes, the business side is not something we enjoy, but right now we are self-managed. We put up our web site, are assembling a mailing list, stuff like that.

The jazzfuel site has some pretty good ideas, I've discovered.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 9:59 pm    

Since nobody else is offering advice (probably for the same reason I shouldn’t be), I’ll make another suggestion.

There are a number of working jazz steelers here on the forum. Mike Neer and Christopher Woitach are both monster players and fairly regular posters. They seem like genuinely nice people too, and appear to get some pretty decent gigs. It might be worth chatting them up in a PM or email and find out what’s been working for them.

Good luck!

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 8:01 am    

Fred, great idea. I have been reading Mike's and Christopher's posts for a while. And I should e mail Susan Alcorn too because her music and ours are sort of in the same bag.

Our band is making our on-line presence more robust too by posting some videos, interviews, other stuff. Chris

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 8:25 am    

Post links to your music in the Steel On The Web section. We'd probably give you some good feedback and share it with others as well.