The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons or Day setup, why???
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 12:32 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:
James Quillian wrote:

Since almost all tab is written for the Emmons setup I intentionally went with the Emmoons aetup.

Could you explain what you mean by this and maybe post an example of some tab that is written for only Emmons setup. I've never seen any.

Sure, Any tab I could find was for the A pedal on the left and B Pedal on the right. I didn't see any point in making a mental transformation every time I saw an A or a B in the notation/
Now it wouldn't make any difference. As a beginner it just made sense to go with the most standard setup.

I figured if it was good enough for Buddy, it was good enough for me. Granted, there was not a lot of sophistication in the decision but by nature, I am not all that sophisticated.

Another factor, was in buying a guitar. The path of least resistance was to go with what was likely for sale.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 12:53 pm    

James Quillian wrote:
Jeff Mead wrote:
James Quillian wrote:

Since almost all tab is written for the Emmons setup I intentionally went with the Emmoons aetup.

Could you explain what you mean by this and maybe post an example of some tab that is written for only Emmons setup. I've never seen any.

Sure, Any tab I could find was for the A pedal on the left and B Pedal on the right. I didn't see any point in making a mental transformation every time I saw an A or a B in the notation

I think what Jeff may have meant is that an A pedal is an A pedal no matter which setup, Emmons or Day. Properly written tab should indicate for Pedal A, not Pedal 1 or 3. Same with E lower and raise levers indicated as E and F, not LKL or RKL, unless the tab legend indicates the E lower as “D”, which contributes to the confounding nature of tab beyond ABC.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 1:21 pm    

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. No tab or instructional material is specific to either configuration. A B and C pedals (by function) are standard on all guitars - you just need to know where they are on your guitar - no further mental gymnastics required. Nobody says "press the left pedal", they say A or C.

Knee levers aren't standard from one guitar to the next, even if they are both Emmons setup - which is why they define the function and call them the D E F lever etc. and then refer to them as that.

Every time the Day/Emmons subject comes up, someone says "but most tab/instructional material is for Emmons". This is completely untrue for the reasons stated.

If it made any difference at all, why do so many Emmons players speak so highly of the Jeff Newman courses? He plays Day setup on all his videos. I bet most people don't even notice. If that argument were true, his courses would be useless to Emmons players.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 7:36 am     Emmons For Me.

Having started out with the Emmons set up my ankle just won’t work with the Day setup. One of the highlights of my life was getting to play with Jimmy Day and Dave Rich at a friends church in Dallas shortly before Jimmy passed away. I sat down behind the Mullen Blue Darlin and couldn’t play the real Day setup. Meeting Jimmy, talking steel guitar, and having him back up my pickin was a fun evening for sure.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 10:05 am    

What Jeff means, I think, is that tab is tab. The C pedal is the C pedal wherever it's situated on the guitar, and so on. Function is what counts, not position which is the player's personal business and no concern of the writer.