The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L pickup comparisons
Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 7:23 am    

Hi guys,

Could anybody chart out the George Ls, bright to dark? I’m pretty sure the E-66 sits at the top, and the PFII at the bottom. However, I’m wondering more about:-

1. Where the EON sits. Ohms identical to E-66 but I’ve heard it’s far darker due to the blade.
2. TW v PFI. Again, same ohms, but wondering what the differences are.

P.S. I know that ohms is not everything. E.g. copper thickness and amount of windings etc.

Thanks guys

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 10:14 am    

You might want to add another pickup to the list: 10-1.

I'm no expert, but I tried both in my Carter S10.
I made a recording of them to compare.
To my ears the 10-1 was not as bright, and maybe had a little "more" of everything, more "cholesterol" if that makes any sense.

I kept the 10-1.

Bradley Harper

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 10:38 am    

I spoke with George Ls today and they told me that the difference between the PF1 and the TW is that the TW has a stainless steel blade, whereas the PF1 has an iron blade. So, I guess a chart would look like this... starting with the warmest...

PFII
10-1
PF1
TW
EON
E-66

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 12:56 pm    

Bradley Harper wrote:
I spoke with George Ls today and they told me that the difference between the PF1 and the TW is that the TW has a stainless steel blade, whereas the PF1 has an iron blade. So, I guess a chart would look like this... starting with the warmest...

PFII
10-1
PF1
TW
EON
E-66

In case you didn't see it, there is a previous thread that covers 10-1, Eon, and E66 if that's any help.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=248049

The PF and TW models are not included however.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 10:35 pm    

PF-II, iron blade magnets, 20k Ohms. 10-1, iron blades, 19.5k Ohms. PF-I, iron blades, 18.6k Ohms. E-ON, iron blades, 17.5k Ohms. SS-10, stainless steel blades, 19.5k Ohms. TW, stainless blades, 18.6k Ohms. E-66, stainless blades, 17.5k Ohms. Stainless magnets produce a little brighter edgier tone. Iron blade magnets produces a little bit softer in the highs, still plenty bright but just not as harsh. I recommend on darker sounding guitars that you go mid to lighter ohm pickups, brighter guitars, mid to heavier ohm pickups. If you like edgy, go with stainless magnets, if you like crisp and not so harsh and a little warmer in the lows, go with the iron blades. I also want to clarify that the E-ON is not much darker than an E-66, just not as harsh. I would say that the iron blades, tame the highs a little, still plenty bright, the E-ON is a very good pickup, I prefer it over an E-66 myself.

Bas Kapitein

Holland
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 1:26 pm    

Where does the George L - Sierra 2 fit in?