The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new Emmons GS-10
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 3:14 am    

Bob,Yes it does sound great,Doesn't make sense why?But I'd does sound great.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 3:42 am     Nice!

Stu- nice guitar, and fine looking work by Jon Light adding the 2 knee levers. I am working on a twin to yours.

It was the same color combo, but not in as good shape, so I chose to strip it and found some nice maple grain under the red and black Krylon.

Here is a photo in it’s current state...

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 3:43 am    

Picked up the little Emmons from John Light and he did an amazing job on this little wonder, It's grown two more knee levers and sounds incredible...I set it up in my room and I'm thrilled.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 4:28 am    

This was a super satisfying little job. This little 27 oz. guitar sounds so good! Parts are from Michael Yahl who I thank profusely for A) having them and B) getting them to me really quick.

Mike DiAlesandro -- that is going to look great! Stu's guitar here -- every time you look at it a little more paint flakes off. It's going to be naked soon enough.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 4:33 am    

Mike -- when I looked too quickly I thought you posted two pictures very close together, over/under, the second being an apron close-up and I was thinking 'hmmm...this second pic, the wood likes the fir in a 2x4.....?'

Valdi Thorkelsson

Reykjavik, Iceland
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 12:30 pm    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Jon Light did an incredible job setting up the "Little Emmons"guitar,and adding two knee levers,I brought it home yesterday,now its 3+3 enough to do what I need it to do.

If I wasn’t up in Iceland I’d ship my GS-10 to Jon in a heartbeat for a complete set up and possibly the addition of another knee lever or two (not that I know how to use them or what I’d do with them yet! Very Happy) - mine is in dire need of a set up and a fresh set of strings...

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 4:52 pm    

These little jewels sound as good as any steel guitar ever sounded.

SH

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2021 5:05 pm    

Stu, my pal Silvio Bello in Torrance had a little G10 and man, the tone and action stunned me! Every bit as great sounding as the pro models, and light as a feather. How you doing these days? I'm up in Olympia, neighbor with Dan Tyack! Never see each other, though.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 10:09 am    

John,I'm good talking to chickens,and a cat,not playing much, o complaints...How is You?

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 10:23 am    

Johnny Pez,I wrote you an email a while ago but they wanted me to fill out a bunch of stuff?Oh Well?

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 11:02 am     Big Brother is Watching

Very Nice...Congrats! I just finished the big brother to your GS.

widcj@hotmail.com

Dusty Lee Elmer

Ithaca, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2021 7:25 pm    

Hey Stu! Jon was telling me what a killer guitar this is today when I was picking up the Marrs from him. He let me sit down at his Emmons and needless to say, I have a new ideal pedal steel. He was telling me how great this guitar of yours is. I bet you make her sing too. I’ve been listening to the CD’s you sent me and I’ve been using the picks! Someday I’m hoping to be at Jon’s at the same time as you are!

1980 Dobro D60
Fender B-Bender Clarence White copy Telecaster
+ banjos and mandolins

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 1 May 2021 3:28 am    

John Widgren,Man that's a beautiful guitar my friend...Dusty,would love to hook up with you at Jon Light's.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 3:37 am    

Let's make this happen, Stu, Dusty.
And my apologies, Dusty, for giving you that taste of Emmons. That can only make life more complicated.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 2 May 2021 5:35 am    

Dusty,To quote John Belushi "I have the time because I'm doing time"

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:22 am    

Jerry Jones wrote:
Of course I remember you, Stu. I believe we both knew George Harrington from your Alaska days. BTW, I briefly owned your old round front LDG. Great guitar!

That guitar had a sound like none other, to my ears the quintessential ShoBud sound. I too briefly owned it. There's a story to that guitar, here's my contribution.

A mutual friend of Stu's and mine got the guitar from Stu and played it for quite some time. We'll call him Owner #2. He's a player who's very hard on his equipment and that guitar showed it. He eventually lost it in pawn or something and it disappeared, probably mid-80's I'd say. Anyway, about 10-12 years ago Lloyd Maines called and told me of an old Sho-Bud he looked at but was way beyond his capabilities of making it work, totally trashed, broken pickup, etc. Maybe I could make something of it?

I went to where it was in North Austin. I looked at it and immediately recognized the guitar, and paid $800 for it, which in it's condition, I felt was a lot. I was an Emmons guy but I still had a few old ShoBud parts in the shop, so I dismantled it completely and cleaned as much of the gunk off the undercarriage as I could. Probably put about 5 hours or so into just getting the parts clean, more for the cabinet, and then a total reassembly. I didn't refinish it, however. Marty Muse contributed a correct period SB pickup and I hooked it up.

The sound was astounding, frankly. Very much like Lloyd Green's Fingertip. I compared it to my 1970 Professional and they were totally dissimilar, the LDG easily won IMHO. Think the sound of the Mr. Nashville Sound album. Transparent highs, sweet but never brittle. Nice round midrange. Really a 60's sound to me, not a 1970s.

But as luck would have it, Owner #2 dropped by the house and freaked out: "Man, that's my old guitar! You found my old guitar!! I gotta have it back!" "No, man... I worked my knuckles raw on this one! This one's a keeper." He persisted and so... okay, WTF. I knew he'd get it back anyway. Laughing So he gave me an S-10 PP in white mica and he got the LDG back. The PP S-10 was one that I quickly sold and recouped my expenses, despite feeling the LDG was a lifetime keeper.

Of course, after a few years Owner #2 sold it to Owner #4, and I understand it is now well-loved by Owner #5, also an old friend, and is in the best of hands. The wheel keeps turning.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:45 am    

I love when an area, a scene, is tight enough that everyone knows everyone and everyone knows every steel and its backstory.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 5 May 2021 12:24 am    

The Lloyd Green guitar?I bought that guitar brand new from "Straight Music"after I got the gig with B.W. Stevenson,I believe it to be the first Lloyd Green model in Austin Texas.I eventually traded to Jerry Blanton towards a Blanton D-10 8+4which is now in New Mexico belonging to Jim Richmond's brother Don Richmond,I played the Lloyd Green on the first ACL show w B.W. Stevenson,YouTube has a clip somewhere?Then the Lloyd Green belonged to Jerry Blanton,Jerry sold it to the player whom Herb speaks of,Then somewhere down the line Jerry Jones owned it"That guitar has the tone and is a very special guitar...It passed through a lot of good players.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 4:23 am    

Don Richmond's Blanton D-10 is semi-permanently set up at Don's Howlin' Dog Studio a few miles north of Alamosa, CO.

https://www.howlindogrecords.com/

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 5 May 2021 5:25 am    

Jack,Thanks for the update about the Blanton,and Don Richmond!

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 5 May 2021 5:26 am    

Jack,Thanks for the update on Don Richmond,and the Blanton guitar!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2021 3:41 pm    

I just joined the Emmons GS-10 club Smile
Stopped into a shop in Portland that I had never been to, and it turned into a rescue mission Smile
So far it plays and sounds and even looks pretty good!

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 3:22 am    

Pete"Right On"

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 6:16 pm     Emmons GS-10

I have a "bowling ball" early 70's GS-10 which I love for all the above reasons - except I found the volume/tone pots got in the way of my right hand and moved them under the cabinet. Anyone else have that problem?
pete
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2021 7:04 am     Black Rock

[url=https:
Bought this one a few months ago,a LYNN STAFFORD ,setup,smooth Very Happy
Lh