The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons volume pedal: what am I doing wrong?
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2021 3:19 pm    

I found that I can work the volume pedal much more smoothly with it at an angle, pointed at the right front leg of the guitar. My foot naturally points that way when I sit.

(My apology for the topic drift.)

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2021 3:38 pm    

You know all this has made me think, if I were the builder of steel guitars: I would have it so that the two front legs would each have a flange cut into the leg clutches, and they would fit into the pedal bar and hold it up on the clutches when clamped on. This would allow better use of the height adjustment on the front.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2021 3:56 pm    

I've seen some ingenious variations on the leg/pedal rack interface with some major departures from what I consider 'standard' (as in the Emmons under discussion and every other guitar I've owned -- BMI, Carter, Sho-Bud, Emmons, Fessenden, Williams). A friend has had his Desert Rose at my house with a pretty cool, different approach.
As we speak, I've got a Marrs guitar in my shop with a very cool method. The legs, without rubber tips, stand inside a cavity of the rack. The rack has rubber feet. Any leg length adjustments will have no effect on the relationship between the legs and the rack. the legs are always bottomed out so there's no need to overtighten anything.
I have no idea if this is 'the Marrs method' or if Duane was always trying something different and this is just one stop along the way. I like it.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 7:34 am    

Pete wrote:
when you put the volume pedal down to 100%, that bottom piece that the string is attached to often hits the floor at less than 100%.

I sort of took a shine to Emmons pedals a while back, bought a couple, and I had that same problem. It is a bit of a 'tussle' to get that all adjusted out but once I did, it was a one time thing. I actually like the 'feel' of the Emmons pedals better than the Goodrich L120 pedals I'd used for years. For some reason the 'throw' or whatever just seems to accommodate my 'style'(?) with the volume pedal better.

As for the idea of them being attached to the pedal bar, I LOVE it.. I have a second P/P with an Emmons volume pedal set up in my home studio all the time, and I end up moving it around a good bit. It's really convenient not to have to pickup and move the v-pedal, or worse yet, forget it's attached and drag it across the room.. Smile It's also nice when you're doing one of these showcase deals where the bands are on and off stage in a hurry. Unplug one cable (in my setup) and you can just pick your guitar up and move the entire thing off stage for disassembly in a few seconds, without some stage manager staring holes in you and looking at his watch.. LOL.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 7:50 am    

The Emmons volume pedal is only one of the innovations taken for granted today that first emerged from the fertile mind of one Buddy Gene Emmons.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 9:50 am    

Quote: I'm probably not the only one, but I've always had my pedal bar all the way down on the rubber feet—it has never been a problem before, and it made sense because it seems like the leg flappers probably don't have enough friction to keep the pedal bar from creeping down as it's being mashed on—and maybe that too is correct.. 🤔 But, what can I say? I'll give it a try. I guess a guy could put spacer rings between the feet and the pedal bar if they don't hold. But...maybe there is enough friction.

The pedal bar will creep UP... think 'car jack'...

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 1:33 pm    

I have the same problem with my Emmons pedal; the string post hits the floor before you go to full-on.
I just grab a few drink coasters off the bar & put them under the front legs of my steel. Always keep a few in my gig bag, too.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 10:29 am    

The other snafu that can happen is if you get stuck playing on grass. That makes the vol, pedal virtually useless. That happened to me once and I insisted on moving my guitar to some pavement.