The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelaire/peavy Nashville 1000
Craig Woloshin

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 2:03 pm    

Hey all...would like to get some feedback from players that are familiar with both of these amps...I’ve been playing thru the steelaire and as much as I have liked the tone, something was missing...could not get the big fat tone that am always looking for...found a used Nashville 1000 locally, had the amp serviced and I was blown away at the sound!!!
Big fat tones on the low end and I this amp has the volume!! Just got a black box, so I will be adding that to the chain as well...thx
Craig

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 2:59 pm    

Craig, couldn't agree more. I got a used one from a pawn shop. Replace a broken gain pot and cleaned up the pots and minor service. It will blow you out of your seat. Weight is lighter than my Session 400 limited. Sweet amp.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2021 2:22 am    

I had a Steelaire and too couldn't get the tone I wanted out of it. Sold the Steelaire for that reason (and the buyer is happy with the amp). Turns out it wasn't the Steelaire but the George L's cables I was using. I later tried a Quilter Travis Toy 12 amp and was using regular guitar cords not my usual George L's cables and was blown away with the sound and liked it so much I bought it. Tried my usual George L's cables with the Travis Toy 12 and same thing as the Steelaire, too much highs. I used the George L's cables for 30+ years but no more. Couple months ago I got to play through another Steelaire and the amp works fine with standard guitar cords.

I had a Nashville 1000 and later a Nashville 112 and they OK but I like the Quilter sound much better.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 7:34 am    

I just did what Jack did...switched to regular guitar chords.
Can't believe the difference...fell in love with my Evans all over again...and (yes, I also own a Steelaire).

Steven Meister

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 10:06 am    

I love my Nash 1000!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 1:25 pm     Steelaire/Nashville 1000

I had a Steelaire. It could not compete with my Evans so I sold it. Like Jack,I used George L cords for 30 years and thought they were great until I made up my own cords. They are a big improvement to my ears. Maybe my ears have changed now that I'm 75. It's all about our ears. If you like George L cords, that's what you should use. Thousands of steel players can't be wrong, right.

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 5:07 pm    

Wow, is it that George L cables have really good hi freq response (normally a good thing) and it's just too much highs?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 5:39 pm     Steelaire/Nashville 1000

Everything matters. Your guitar, pickup, strings, volume pedal, effects, speaker, amp, room acoustics, amp placement, your hands, picks, bar, and cords. You can say George L cords keep you from loosing high end, or say, George L cords emphasize the high end. Either way, the net result is, you have more high end. This may be a good thing or a bad thing. It all depends on all the above mentioned variables but as always, your ears are king. George L or any other cords may or may not be what your ears are wanting to hear. You can't go with what works for others will work for you. There are just too many variables. You have to experiment.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 2:29 am    

George Biner wrote:
Wow, is it that George L cables have really good hi freq response (normally a good thing) and it's just too much highs?

George L's cable has low capacitance, 25pf per foot. Low capacitance cable in conjunction with other electrical parameters can lead to what seems like more high frequency emphasis. Years ago with the High Impedance output design of other items in the signal chain including pickups, volume pedals, effects and some amps more high frequency was a plus. Modern pickups, electronic volume pedals and effects with low impedance outputs lead to better overall frequency response and for many the extra "kick" in the high frequencies that low capacitance guitar cables such as George L's provide are not needed.