The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peterson sweetened tunings, SE0, SP9, SC6, SP6
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 9:47 am    

I've been using these sweetened tunings happily (except for a few things that always seem to require tweaking) with my Strobostomp HD. But it's a bit of a pain to switch back and forth between the program for the open strings and the program for the pedals and levers. Every once in a while, somebody says that the programs for the pedals are actually incorporated into the string sweeteners. This also seems to be implied in some of the Peterson literature, e.g.
http://76.12.22.162/media/pdf/StroboPlus_Steel.pdf

But this didn't seem to be the case when I took a quick look, so I ignored it until I had the time and energy to do the geekly, tedious comparison. I tested by carefully tuning each string under consideration to the SE9 or SC6 program, then carefully tuning the pedal or lever to the SP9 or SP6 program, then testing the pedal or lever under the SE9/SC6 program.

For the E9th tuning, I found that pedals 1 and 2 (A and B) were the same under SE9 and SP9. For pedal 3 (C pedal), I found the B->C# change was the same, but for the E-F# change, the SE9 read flatter. For the E->F lever, SE9 and SP9 were the same, but for the E->D# lever, SE9 read sharp. I actually ran the E9th tests after the C6th ones, and at about this point, my eyes started to glaze over and I started distrusting my ability to accurately perform the tests and record the results.

For the C6th tuning, I got similar results -- sometimes the two sweeteners agreed, sometimes not. For pedals 4 (in my copedent, the inverse of pedal 6), 5 and 6, both SC6 and SP6 were the same. For pedal 7 (C->D and A->B on strings 3 and 4), the SC6 program read sharp. For pedal 8 (boo-wah), both readings were the same for all three strings.

For the lever that raises string 4 A to Bb, the readings were the same. For the lever that flattens the same string (A->Ab), the SC6 program read flatter. Readings on both programs were the same for the lever that raises string 3 C to C#, but SC6 read flatter for the C-B lower.

And, though it's not related to this specific test, it's worth mentioning that I don't think the D on the first string is correctly tuned by the SC6 sweetener, and I always have to tune it sharper to make it sound right with the G and A strings.

--Al Evans

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 11:49 am    

Check out their website for Mickey Adams tuning MA9, works like a charm and this single tuning works for pedals up and down, no switching.

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2021 3:26 pm    

I assume you're aware of the the Strobostomp HD's ability to change the tuning when you hold the footswitch and tap the strings? Also, you can color code the different tunings. These things make the need for separate tunings a bit less painful.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 2:17 am    

I use the Newman sweetened tunings. Used them with the Franklin and now with the GFI.

I have combined the SE9 and SP9 into one program except for the 4th string F# raise and the 4th string D# lower. These are different offsets from other F# and D# so they are in a separate program. I also added some common changes such as raising the 1st string to G# that wasn't in the Newman settings.

Same way with the C6th, I combined the opens and pedal/knee levers into one program except for the 3rd string B lower. Its included in the program that the two E9th extras are in. I use G on 1st string so I didn't include the D but that can be easily added.

I've "shared" (as Peterson calls it) my programs with quite a few and they are using them. The 3 notes not in the combined tunings are not a big deal as they rarely need adjustment.

If you are registered with Peterson, I can "share" my tunings. E-mail me and include your Peterson registered e-mail address.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 4:19 am    

David Donn wrote:
I assume you're aware of the the Strobostomp HD's ability to change the tuning when you hold the footswitch and tap the strings? Also, you can color code the different tunings. These things make the need for separate tunings a bit less painful.

... also the owner’s manual explains how to hide all those other tunings that you’ll never use, so you only have to scroll through the two E9th and two C6th ones.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 5:17 am    

David Donn wrote:
I assume you're aware of the the Strobostomp HD's ability to change the tuning when you hold the footswitch and tap the strings?

Yes, thank you. This does help a lot.

Tony Glassman wrote:

... also the owner’s manual explains how to hide all those other tunings that you’ll never use, so you only have to scroll through the two E9th and two C6th ones.

I've got the unused ones hidden, and the "autosort" feature enabled, which makes it easier to bounce back and forth from one to another.

Jack Stoner wrote:

I have combined the SE9 and SP9 into one program except for the 4th string F# raise and the 4th string D# lower. These are different offsets from other F# and D# so they are in a separate program. I also added some common changes such as raising the 1st string to G# that wasn't in the Newman settings.

Same way with the C6th, I combined the opens and pedal/knee levers into one program except for the 3rd string B lower. Its included in the program that the two E9th extras are in. I use G on 1st string so I didn't include the D but that can be easily added.

Thank you! I've loaded these programs, and they seem to work well.

Bruce Bjork wrote:

Check out their website for Mickey Adams tuning MA9, works like a charm and this single tuning works for pedals up and down, no switching.

I've loaded this one as well, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Thank you all for your help!

--Al Evans