The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for my first steel amp
Eric Reeves

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 3:21 pm    

I finally got my '66 Emmons all set up and am ready to dive into the full world of PSG obsession. Getting ready to order up a pack-a-seat, but am still needing a solid steel amp. I've been advised to go for a Nashville 112 or a Nashville 400. I'm up for those options, and am interested in hearing pros and cons, although I've done a bit of research ahead of time. However, I did just run across a Stereo Chorus 400 combo head and 2X12 cabinet that intrigues me based off of what I've read on here for being able to set up and EQ two seperate channels so I can have a seperate setup for my tele's. They're asking $450, and it looks clean. Should I take the chance? Is it worth the asking price? Should I hold out for a Nashville 400 or 112? Still new to getting 'er all set up but got a great steel to start with which I just had completely gone through and set up. Used to running tube Fender's but have been advised I want the high wattage solid state. Thanks in advance and excited to be part of the community!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 3:34 pm    

Eric, I have a Peavey Stereo Chorus amp and while it's loud and proud, it's never worked for me as a steel amp. Guitar only and it's heavy. The Nashville series amps are great. I have a Session 400 and a Nashville 1000 both great steel amps. For double duty I use a Tonemaster Twin or my Quilter micropro mach 2. You may be ok with the Chorus amp but I would pass. Steel amps need that mid control with the frequency sweep. I'm sure others will chip in but thats my experience. I have additional rigs in that quest for tone.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 4:07 pm    

I've been happy with my NV112--happier after installing the Ken Fox chip-- and really happy with my Session 500, Milkman Half and Half, and Twin Reverb Custom 15, although I do have to say it takes some tweaking(and a little Rube Goldberg/Doc Brown) getting a six-string EQ'd right when paired with PSG in a single-channel amp.
I've no personal experience with the Stereo Chorus 400,but everything Peavey I've owned has reliably done what whatever I asked of it, so I'd think the one you're considering is worth an in person look-see.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 4:42 pm    

I agree with Larry, I owned a Stereo Chorus 400 for awhile; there is really no comparison to any of the Nashville series amps. And 450 seems like a high price for one, I think 250 would be closer.

If you are just starting out, it almost doesn't matter what amp you are using, the important thing is to learn the basics. Use whatever amp you already own for the time being, later, get a Nashville 112. You should be able to find one for less that 450.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 5:13 pm    

For pedal steel at $450, if you want a high-power Peavey, I'd get a Session 400, it's small-cabinet brother the LTD 400 (not the Session 400 Limited), or Nashville 400. The Stereo Chorus 400 (or 212) is a good clean amp, but I see them pretty routinely between $150 and $200 and they are not really designed for pedal steel.

Just as an example, here's a SC400 in Philly for $250, which I consider a top-end price for one of these - https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/d/wayne-peavey-stereo-chorus-400/7291733986.html

There was one in Vancouver CL a little while ago for $180 but it apparently sold. Google link is still there, but it's gone. But if you're patient, they turn up cheap pretty frequently.

But for a clean classic Peavey pedal steel amp at practical gig volumes, I'd still go for one of the dedicated steel amps.

BTW - if you are into Fender amps, blackface/silverface 60s-70s amps work great and are actually preferred by many steel players. Twin Reverb is a great workhorse amp, Pro Reverb just fine if you don't have to have a ridiculous stage volume, and even Deluxe Reverb fine for lower stage volumes. Another sleeper for pedal steel is the circa '83 Rivera-era Concert 112. I have one and use it lots - well, I did before this damned pandemic hit. I put a lightweight neo 12" 350 Watt 8 Ohm speaker in it, it kicks butt.

I'd also look at some of the Quilter amps. I use a Tone Block 201 quite a lot - no reverb but can be often had reasonable. The Tone Block 202 is the latest in the series, and has reverb. These heads just weight a few pounds and with an appropriate speaker cab with a high-power speaker, I think they sound very good for pedal steel. And BTW, I think they sound good for guitar too. No compromise as far as I'm concerned.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 5:24 pm     Re: Looking for my first steel amp

Eric Reeves wrote:
I finally got my '66 Emmons all set up and am ready to dive into the full world of PSG obsession. Getting ready to order up a pack-a-seat, but am still needing a solid steel amp. I've been advised to go for a Nashville 112 or a Nashville 400. I'm up for those options, and am interested in hearing pros and cons, although I've done a bit of research ahead of time. However, I did just run across a Stereo Chorus 400 combo head and 2X12 cabinet that intrigues me based off of what I've read on here for being able to set up and EQ two seperate channels so I can have a seperate setup for my tele's. They're asking $450, and it looks clean. Should I take the chance? Is it worth the asking price? Should I hold out for a Nashville 400 or 112? Still new to getting 'er all set up but got a great steel to start with which I just had completely gone through and set up. Used to running tube Fender's but have been advised I want the high wattage solid state. Thanks in advance and excited to be part of the community!

Eric, I live in Tacoma... and have a both a Session 400 and Session 500 that I no longer use and will let go considerably cheaper than what you're looking at... And a nicer Telonic's 212 SuperTwin with TT-12's in it, but that would be considerably more... PM me if you think any of those would be of interest to you. And good luck... sounds like you got a great guitar.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2021 2:34 pm    

NV112 Mr. Green

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 8:17 am    

I've got an,LTD. And two Nashville 112's An American made one,and a Chinese one,And they all work for me.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 10:34 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
I've got an,LTD. And two Nashville 112's An American made one,and a Chinese one,And they all work for me.

I love my LTD as well but not for a first amp.... 😎

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 11:02 am    

What Fenders do you have at home?
What part of Washington are you from? Alot of us in the PNW have Steel amps you could probably try out.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 3:44 pm    

It's hard to beat a Nashville 112 and an Emmons.. Awesome sound. And no I am not biased as I don't own either. Just remember hearing them together at steel shows.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 10:38 pm    

I’ll do my normal thing and ask why you assume u need a solid state amp?

Eric Reeves

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 3:20 pm    

Josh Yenne wrote:
I’ll do my normal thing and ask why you assume u need a solid state amp?

Well, I was advised by some old school steelers that the Increase in Wattage and the headroom offered in a solid state 15" Peavey would offer the clarity and definition that Pedal Steel pickers are looking for.

That being said, I was able to acquire a '76 Peavey Session 400 from a gentleman, but it's lookin like the old Black Widow may be givin up the ghost. So I'm looking into a replacement speaker and evaluating what improvements I can make by upgrading the old electrolytic capacitors to quiet the signal even further. If the speaker does end up being bad, I may be looking to swap in an Eminence TT-15 and drop some weight as well. Think I might be onto a perfect amp!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 6:09 am    

I have an original Spider-Web 15" 1501 Black Widow here in Portland if you want to try it.

Last edited by Pete Burak on 31 Mar 2021 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 5:46 pm     Eric

It's obvious they have not played through the Little Walter 89 Tube amp...probably because of the price tag but let me tell you I have used many of the solid state amps, Peavey session 400, Nashville 400, Fender tone master, Quilter Steelair combo, Webb 6-14E etc.
In my humble opinion all of those amps were good with headroom but to say that a tube amp is inferrior to them in the headroom arena is false!
The LW 89 has headroom that I have found surpasses the amps mentioned above...Iknow because I played through them all...maybe they just haven't played through the right one yet. JMO.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 12:01 pm    

If you like how tube amps sound with guitar you will like them on the steel. The thing about clean headroom is absurd as far as I am concerned and one of the main reasons steel is not used as much as it could be. If you think Solid state amps sound strident and annoying on guitar you will find they sound just as annoying on the steel. ALL of the classic steel guitar sounds we all love were recorded using tube amps or maybe a SS Standel. Basically all current recording steel players use tube amp. SS amps are cheaper , lighter, louder and more reliable. But they don’t sound better.

There is one thing a great SS amp has over tubes that works for some players. It’s in the presence of the initial attack. Tommy Detamore comes to mind. His tone is a great example of a SS amp sounding really good.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 12:26 pm    

fwiw, There is no shortage of pictures of Buddy Emmons playing his Emmons through Peavey Amps including original Session 400's like the OP has acquiered.
I'm pretty sure that is the number one reason Steel Players like them.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 2:05 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
If you like how tube amps sound with guitar you will like them on the steel. The thing about clean headroom is absurd as far as I am concerned and one of the main reasons steel is not used as much as it could be. If you think Solid state amps sound strident and annoying on guitar you will find they sound just as annoying on the steel. ALL of the classic steel guitar sounds we all love were recorded using tube amps or maybe a SS Standel. Basically all current recording steel players use tube amp. SS amps are cheaper , lighter, louder and more reliable. But they don’t sound better.

There is one thing a great SS amp has over tubes that works for some players. It’s in the presence of the initial attack. Tommy Detamore comes to mind. His tone is a great example of a SS amp sounding really good.

I tend to say the same to folks Bob... if you like SS for electric guitar you will probably like it for steel.. if you are a tube amp snob on electric guitar you will probably like tube amps for steel as well. I have a soft spot for the OP cause I heard the same thing when starting.. then I realized real quick that my Fender was so much better for me. Just like if someone had offered me a SS Peavey for guitar I would assume that it was some sort of penance that I must have to pay for something I did to them in the past. Laughing

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 6:14 pm    

I like Tube amps and Tube gear and of course some players want Tube gear, but the fact is brands like Peavey and Telonics have been backlining Steel conventions for years and were played by all the greatest Steel players... Other SS brands like Evens, Stereo Steel, Quilter, etc, have also been played by many of the greatest Steel players.
Sneaky Pete played two Session 400's, check his discogrophy. Alot of famous musicians liked his sound.
Here is a link to Brad Sarno's analysis of the Session 400, where he says "I've been fascinated by the old Session 400 at how it's so perfectly voiced for steel guitar".
https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/003822.html

Here's the 400 I currently keep in rotation. I run a Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box first in my chain with all SS gear I use on my gigs.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 7:02 pm    

If you love it you love it! That’s all that matters!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 7:43 pm    

Tube or Solid State, Regular guys love to play what the Greats play.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 5:17 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Tube or Solid State, Regular guys love to play what the Greats play.

That Emmons live at the convention sound is pretty awesome with those Peavey’s. But the steel sound on the Black album with a twin is doorway to heaven

Check out Paul Franklin’s tone on recordings before his time with Dire Straights and after for a clear example the difference between Peaveys and a FET or tube circuit.

Has Lloyd Green used Peavey’s on any recordings ? It would be great compare his tone to his tone on the panther hall recording. I’m sure he sounds fantastic on anything !

There is that classic tone that came from a SS Standel Custom. But those amps must have had some actual magic embedded in them.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 6:12 am    

I did a gig at the Ryman and Buddy was there with the Everly Bros. He played a Nashville 400 there and at a jam later down the street. He sounded JUST like Buddy Emmons! For a new player with perhaps limited funds a pre owned NV 400 or 112 will be perfect. Or you could get an Evans or Quilter TT202 and be REALLY happy but they are pricey. Tube amps are great, of course, but they take more maintenance to really sound great. Old tubes or bad bias can sink the Good Ship Tube Amp very easily.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 8:32 am    

You know what sounds better than a Princeton Reverb???...
Two Princeton Reverbs in Stereo! Smile
But for alot less you can get two Peavey Bandit 65's.
If I were going to spring for a brand new amp I would probably go with two Quilter Aviator Cubs.
Tommy Detamore talks about them in the "New Product Announcements" Forum.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 11:04 am    

https://youtu.be/SVM1Plvxw8E

Check out Rusty. That was my tube amp at just over 80 conservatively rated watts RMS

Headroom problems??