The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lisa Spears
Robert Rogers

Manchester,TN
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 7:18 pm    

I saw on Facebook a little while ago That Lisa Spears passed away. Lisa was such a talented steel guitar player and a really nice person as well. This is a real shock. I remember when I was a kid seeing Lisa play with Porter Wagoner and the right combination. Rest in peace my friend.

Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 11:43 am    

I didn't knew Lisa in person, but we did had some nice conversations in the past. She was really nice and was a real inspiration to me. We both love the Big "E" (well who doesn't ha), and often we mentioned how good he was.

This was the last thing she said to me (it shows also how kind she was to me and I wanted to share this with y'all):
Quote:
Hi Mathew..you sound great, you just keep play ing and ill be asking you for advice. Your becoming a great player just always sound like yourself. Copy nobody's style and when you play you will have your own unique sound. Dint know if that will help you but i think every great player has his own sound. Your a great young player and you are going to be on the top amongst players. FACT

I'm really honored that I knew her via Social Media, that's certainly a pros these days. R.I.P Lisa, you will be missed!

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 11:57 am    

Sure, I remember Lisa from years back. Played with others as well. Good picker, nice lady. Sorry to hear this.

Condolences to the family.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 4:07 pm    

Lisa was a fine player and a class act. Seen her at Scott's ISGC. Sad to hear about her passing. RIP Lisa.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 8:59 pm    

A fine Steel Guitarist! Rip Lisa! A'ho!

Franklin

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 5:57 am    

So sad to hear! Lisa was an awesome musician and a very funny lady..Her kind soul will be missed...I wish there were more examples of her PSG playing.
Paul

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2021 7:22 pm    

So sad!
I met her when she was taking lessons from Jernigan I think
Awesome player
Her dad Billy was a knocked out fiddle player in the Lawrence Kansas area in the '70s
Rest in peace my friend
WC
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 3:29 am     Obituaries . Lisa Lynn Spears

Lisa Lynn Spears
May 23, 1960 - March 15, 2021

Lisa Lynn Spears passed away on March 15, 2021. Our hearts are broken.
Lisa was born in Lawrence, Kansas on May 23, 1960, the daughter of Billy Earl Spears and Doris Spears. Her father preceded her in death, and her mother passed away five days after Lisa's death.

Lisa was the proud mother of her two sons, Remington Houston Spears Tenpenny and Billy Michael Spears Gibler.

Lisa grew up in a home full of love and music. She also grew up with three older sisters whom she loved to tease and annoy with her goofiness. She had a great sense of humor. She pampered her cats and loved all baby animals.

Lisa was a gifted musician. Growing up hearing her father's fiddle, family visits to Oklahoma which were full of family music in her grandparents backyard and home, and many band practices and musical jams in her childhood home, Lisa fell in love with the sounds she heard.  She soaked it all up and learned to play the steel guitar at the age of 15, and soon began creating her own unique style.
Lisa sat in and played with her father's band every chance she got.

Full of talent, hopes and dreams, Lisa took the leap and moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1981. She played with several groups including Tina Carol and Little David Wilkins. Her star shined when she joined a group of talented female musicians, who for a few years were proud to be known as Porter Wagoner and The Right Combination. Some of Lisa's proudest moments were meeting Little Jimmy Dickens and Ray Price, and performing on the Grand Ole Opry and The Ralph Emery Show.

Lisa also had the privilege of being one of the youngest female steel guitar players to perform at the InternationalSteel Guitar Convention in St. Louis, Missouri in 1983.

Due to Covid and the safety of those Lisa loved, a celebration of life is being planned at a later date.