The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big Music Too Big? A Web Article Opinion Piece
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 5:25 pm    

https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-big-music-needs-to-be-broken-up-to-save-the-industry/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 8:52 am    

Good article.

A few excerpts:

Streaming today accounts for 80 percent of all industry income.

The top seven artists on Spotify each earn around half a million dollars per year from streaming on the service, while Spotify royalties pay the bottom 99 percent of artists an average of $25 annually.

In the pre-streaming world, a record label would typically get 70 percent of every album sale, while the rest went to pay all of the labor-intensive services required to make, distribute, and sell a record. Today, that rate is about the same. Except the other 30 percent goes entirely to Spotify.

Time and again, critics who opposed the myriad mergers that created the modern, top-heavy music industry told Congress, regulatory agencies, and the public that the deals gave too much power to a few companies, in violation of the antitrust laws.

Under both Republican and Democratic administrations, the agencies did nothing, and today the industry is more consolidated than ever.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2021 9:47 am    

The article has good information about how playing live venues is quickly changing and consolidating.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2021 2:41 pm    

There is a Jerry Jeff Walker song with a line in it about getting paid for doing something he would do for nothing anyway. I never quite swallowed that line, though I liked to think of the attitude behind it as courageous and defiant. The time has come, maybe, where such a principle is indeed being put to the test.

I’m pretty sure that what I do has a lot less effect on the businessmen, politicians, and bureaucrats who run the music industry than whatever is they do has on me. The flip side of that is that artists and musicians (even lowly ones like me) are going to have to reacquire some control of their work - live, in the studio, and over the “airwaves” - because a breakup of The Industry Bigs is probably not going to happen by non-market forces. Even if it does, it would still be good to be prepared if it backfires.