The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New amp from Quilter Labs!
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 5:53 am    

I am excited to announce the launch of a brand new amplifier from Quilter Labs, the Aviator Cub!

This little 50-watt monster is aimed at guitar players, but I’m here to tell you that it is one mighty little recording and practice amp for steel guitar. There is enough clean headroom available for lower-level live gigging as well, depending upon “environmental factors”.

I have had a pre-release unit here to evaluate for a couple of weeks. I have used it on several tracks, recording via the direct out, and it performed very well. There are three different “tone stack” inputs available (“tweed”, “blonde”, and “blackface”), and active tone controls that allow for lots of shaping. The onboard reverb is lovely, and the amp is small and light at 21 1/2 lbs.

If you also play guitar you will love this. There are some nice breakup zones available if you crank the gain. It does the “Deluxe on 7” thing quite well, for example. There is a limiter control that allows for some squish and sag if desired.

The best part? MAP price is $599.00!

Check it out at https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/aviator-cub/

Or hit me up for more info 😉

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 11:34 am    

Hey my friend,,,,this looks very interesting!! I sent you an email.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 2:51 pm    

In which country will this amp be made?

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 5:35 am    

Jim Bloomfield wrote:

Jim, it is manufactured in China.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 7:32 am    

Tommy Detamore wrote:
Jim Bloomfield wrote:

Jim, it is manufactured in China.

I'm sorry to hear this. I love Quilter and have 3 of the USA made ones. To me, it really hurt when they moved manufacturing to China. I'm sure this is a great amp but, to the extent that I can help it, I will no longer support products made in the CCP. Not saying products have to be USA made, just almost anywhere but China please.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 9:04 am    

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear this. I love Quilter and have 3 of the USA made ones. To me, it really hurt when they moved manufacturing to China. I'm sure this is a great amp but, to the extent that I can help it, I will no longer support products made in the CCP. Not saying products have to be USA made, just almost anywhere but China please.

I hear you Jim. Wish I had better news.

Last edited by Tommy Detamore on 9 Mar 2021 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 7:13 am    

Well FWIW,,,Tommy was kind enough to let me have his demo model of this amp (had a nice brief visit with him and Sandy) and I have to say,,,this amp IS an INSPIRATION!!!,,this little amp seems to be what I've been looking for for a looonngg time!!! They must have had me in mind when they designed this little monster. And yes,,I wish it had been made in USA,,,along with my cell phone, my land line phone, my TV, my Computer, my tablet, my microwave, my ceiling fans, components for my washer/dryer, components in my SUV, most of the equipment in my shop,,,the list goes on and on,,,but we may be getting into "prohibited" political areas,,,,let's just leave it at,,,A GREAT LITTLE AMP",,suits my needs to a "T",,,Thanks Tommy,,,hope to see you again soon.

Last edited by Sonny Jenkins on 11 Mar 2021 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 8:35 am    

About anything Quilter makes is great.

I've had all the Peavey steel amps starting with a Session 500 and an Evans steel amp over the years. My Travis Toy 12 combo (TB 202 amp) to me is the best steel amp I've had since a Fender Twin Reverb with JBL's in early 70's.

Billy Dickson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 6:36 am     Quilter amp

0f course it's made in China. What isn't

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 14 Mar 2021 1:23 pm    

If you are an "at home" player,,or even small or mid sized venue, this little amp just can't be beat,,less than 25 lbs,,and all you could ask for in tone. This little monster makes me WANT to practice,,,if I could just get this old mutilated index finger to working,,,LOL

Tim Brennan

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2021 8:26 am     Quilter Aviator Cub

I’ve been thinking about one of these for guitar, as a solid state upgrade but not as expensive as a Tonemaster Deluxe or Twin. I hadn’t thought about it for PSG, because I figured that an amp designed to emulate 1960’s Fenders would lack the clean headroom one would want. Do you think the Aviator Cub works as both a guitar and steel amp? If so, I could sell off even more amps if I got one!

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 9:51 am     Qilter amps

I have a steelair by Quilter that is great and is light enough to carry around plus it has a 15 which i like alot. this new little amp looks fantastic as well .. one thing the Steelair lacks is a XLR send which is independant of the volume control .. i would like a send which is on when there is no output to the speaker. if this little amp can do that it may be a winner for me

Tim Brennan

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 11:20 am     Quilter Aviator Cub

Thanks much. I can’t help but notice that the Steelaire costs almost three times as much as the Aviator Cub ($1599 to $599). My PSG needs are also more modest. I have just an S10 E9 3x5 (Mullen Discovery), so don’t need the bass coverage that one should have with a C6 neck. I’m a relative beginner compared to most on this list, I’m sure. If after the pandemic I get a chance to play out, of the amps I have lying around I’d probably use a Roland Cube 80xl, clean (Jazz Chorus) setting. If someday I need more, the Aviator Cub wouldn’t cut it either. But if the Aviator Cub would work, I could sell that Cube 80xl and more than a few guitar amps as well.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 1:26 pm    

I have a Cube and a Katana,,,let me say that there is no comparison of those two amps to the Cub for my taste,,,the difference in daylight and dark,,,it's the Quilter hands down,,,and Tommy is the man to deal with!!!

Tim Brennan

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2021 3:43 pm     Quilter Aviator Cub

Thanks. I’m perfectly willing to believe that. My concern is that PSG needs a lot of clean headroom, and an amp designed to emulate small Fender combos, like the Aviator Cub, won’t have that. A touch of overdrive is great for guitar but maybe not for PSG. That’s why I asked about the Aviator Cub. I’m sure until breakup it’s great for PSG, but can one get enough clean volume to use it for, say, small club/bar gigs with a PSG without miking it.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2021 11:26 am     Re: Qilter amps

Scott Appleton wrote:
I have a steelair by Quilter that is great and is light enough to carry around plus it has a 15 which i like alot. this new little amp looks fantastic as well .. one thing the Steelair lacks is a XLR send which is independant of the volume control .. i would like a send which is on when there is no output to the speaker. if this little amp can do that it may be a winner for me

When needed, I just unplug the speaker from my Steelaire. It can run without problems without a speaker being plugged in.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2021 7:43 pm    

Wow still NO aux in.. too bad ..

Richard Nelson

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 1:24 pm    

That’s a nice wee amp.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChkzP48NKKSiredddt-NGEQ?view_as=public

www.myspace.com/ricknelsteel

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 9:48 pm    

Ron Shalita wrote:
Wow still NO aux in.. too bad ..

Actually this amp is designed so that you can use the effects return input as a line input for playing back tracks. Assuming this is what you want an aux in for.

From the manual:

Pro Tip: outboard tracks can be inserted into the signal chain by
using the Effects Return jack as an input. The preamp’s output
will be mixed 50/50. Adjust the outboard device’s volume to get
a nice balance.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 6:38 am    

Well now that little bit of info makes this a 100% ideal amp for me!!! Remember that's what I had asked you about Tommy,,and I said it didn't make that much difference,,,but,,now that I've found that I can plug my CD tracks,,,or lap top into it,,,icing on the cake. Thanks my friend,,,,

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 6:26 am    

👍

Last edited by Tommy Boswell on 9 Feb 2022 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 9:21 pm     Made in China

Rude comment Deleted....Dale

Last edited by George Frachiseur on 27 Apr 2021 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 4:59 am    

My little quilter didn't cost 2-3 grand,,,,,,

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 9:02 pm    

Dale, to set the record straight, I love the Quilter amps and I hope Tommy sells a truckload of them! I've owned the Quilter combo and it was a very nice amp. And if I have offended Tommy in any way I humbly apologize....

Last edited by George Frachiseur on 27 Apr 2021 7:13 pm; edited 4 times in total

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 6:37 am    

I find it odd and a touch rude, that Tommy posts about a new product from Quilter which he is a dealer for, and then folks get in here promoting something else... If you love what you have, start your own tread and Preach IT. Would you go into a car dealership and try to promote a different brand?

Tommy's a great guy trying to promote something he's selling. Phil's also a great guy and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't see him on here promoting his amp, in the same way Tommy wouldn't jump on one of Phils post promoting what Tommy is selling.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com