The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wireless transmitters/receivers...is it possible for steel ?
Don Christy

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:24 pm    

I see these wireless transmitters and receivers all the time in the music business. Is it possible to use these in place of guitar cords for the pedal steel?

What is your thoughts on this set-up?

Thanks!

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:53 pm    

Are you talking about a wireless kit like this?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-relay-g10s-wireless-guitar-system/l45018000000001?cntry=US&cur=USD

I don't see why you couldn't.

Don Christy

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:59 pm    

Anthony...yes, sort of like that. Would I need a transmitter on the guitar and volume pedal and the receiver on the amp to make it work?

Maybe a transmitter from guitar to receiver on volume pedal...then transmitter on volume pedal to receiver on the amp.

If so, what brand and wireless system would work best?

Thanks!

Anthony Campbell

Northwest Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 7:33 pm    

I would plug into volume pedal like normal with a 1/4”, and then use transmitter out of volume pedal and transmit it to the receiver into amp. I cant vouch for a specific brand personally but the Line 6 is pretty popular and reasonably priced.

I woukd look at youtube and see what looks good. Theres tons of brands.

Don Christy

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 7:56 pm    

I will check out all the possibilities to see what brands are the best for this set-up. Now if only the manufactures can come up with a volume pedal that has built in transmitters and receivers ..it would be awesome! Same with amp manufactures. They could put a chip in the amp for the receiver...LOL! Maybe Ken Fox can come here and let us know if its possible to have a chip in an amp for the receiver...

Thank you for the information Anthony!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 4:44 am    

My first question is why? We don't move around.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 5:25 am    

I bought one off FB that was inexpensive, worked and amazingly had no latency that I could detect from instrument to amp. But, as has been said here, what's the point? Except for Junior Brown or some Dobro players, the steel doesn't go anywhere.

What I really wanted it for was to the bluetooth the headphone out on the amp to my wireless headphones but so far haven't been able to get it to pair to the headphones. Anyone had any luck with this?

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 6:36 am    

I use a rechargeable BOSS wireless setup for elctric guitar (no latency at all, no effect on sound) and I tried using them from the volume pedal output to the amp input just for fun. Worked great, but as many people gave stated here, not of much use for a stationary pedal steel.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 7:36 am    

I bought the Fiddlerman’s Wireless system for my fiddle, acoustic and electric guitar and my, wait for it....5 String banjo. As Richard mentioned above, we’re stationary BUT it would help to reduce the amount of cables at least in/around the steel area. Regarding the Fiddlerman Wireless system, it goes for $139 but was selling for $99 during his Christmas sale....I’ve had it since last June and nary a problem. Will order a backup next time they go sale...My 3 cents 😉

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 7:57 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Exactly. I have a wireless kit on my bass so I can stand anywhere to play it without getting in a tangle, but it's pointless for steel.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 8:21 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

Exactly. I have a wireless kit on my bass so I can stand anywhere to play it without getting in a tangle, but it's pointless for steel.

And just one more thing to go wrong, and more batteries to buy and monitor.

Don Christy

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 8:46 am    

I see a lot of you on here say its pointless to have the wireless system for pedal steel, I like the idea because of my headphones. My cable on my headphones are always in the way when practicing or playing the steel. Im thinking about Bluetooth headphones like John said in his post. Im getting opinions on what works. I know we don't move around, but it makes it nice to pair up the headphones and have a clean stage or record room without cables sometimes.

The tech world is here to stay with new gizmo's so I might as well try them out. I value all your opinions on here and it has helped me to see what you guys and gals are using for wireless systems.

Please let me know if you all tried pairing up your Bluetooth headphones with some of these wireless systems that plug into the amp or even a mixer.

Im always trying new things and before I do...I always ask the forum members for help.

Let me know if you all have any new ideas that I need to try. I appreciate and value your opinions.

Thank You!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 8:55 am    

Bluetooth headphones have latency (delay). How much ??

I tried Bluetooth (high $$$ model) for my recording studio (against advice from the pros) and had the latency - too much to even consider them for studio or for playing along with a backup track.

Don Christy

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 12:43 pm    

Thank you Jack for that great advice. I will not look any further into this wireless subject. You answered my biggest question on these wireless systems...thank you!

Its back to basic's on the pedal steel for now. Thank you all for the support!

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 8:28 am    

Would this be a good way to connect volume pedal (output) to either an amp or mixing board which is about 10-20 feet away?
((Of course, plugging in the steel guitar output to input of volume pedal as normal with a cord, since it is such a short distance.))

(But i would worry about stepping on the transmitter out of the volume pedal!!!
K

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 9:10 am    

Don Christy wrote:
I see a lot of you on here say its pointless to have the wireless system for pedal steel, I like the idea because of my headphones. My cable on my headphones are always in the way when practicing or playing the steel.

The headphone cable should always be routed behind you (over your back and behind the seat). That way, it won't get in your way. Winking

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 3:04 pm    

Back in our R%R days we used wireless for the bass and lead guitar to allow them to move around, (and interact with the crowd). One venue had an upstairs seating area, and our guitar player climbed the stairs and was playing from the top. Needless to say, the sound was delayed, but at third set, I'm not sure many noticed!!
I understand the wireless headphones idea, but don't think I'm encumbered with a cord from guitar to the amp.

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2022 6:38 pm    

Sounds like the real goal is to get sound to a wireless headset. For that you're going to need a wireless IEM (in ear monitor) rig. The instrument wireless dealios aren't going to link to anything bluetooth. The IEM won't either, but you can hang it off your belt in back and keep the ear bud cable behind you. ON stage everyone runs them under their shirt so they don't get snagged on anything.

I'm using the NuX might plug for quiet practicing. Mind you the headphones aren't wireless, but I just stick it behind me and use my IEM earbuds that have a clip on them. I just clip it to the back of my collar and forget it. Of course I'm used to it form using IEM's on stage for years. I'm running a 6' 1'4" cable with a male trs on one end and a female on the tother. Stick an Ipad or your phone on a rack next to you and away you go.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 6:15 am    

[quote="Richard Sinkler"]
Ian Rae wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

And just one more thing to go wrong, and more batteries to buy and monitor.

I use them for my guitar and lap steel and also the microphones....I use rechargeable batteries....no problems...
I do agree that there isn't a real need on psg but it does help keep the area clean looking.

Sam

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 7:44 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

What Richard said.

Maybe it would be appropriate if you are playing the National Anthem before a basketball game and have to have a self-contained package to move quickly, in which case you probably need nothing less than Lectrosonics gear with paddle antennas. Broadcast professionals use nothing else.

Otherwise there are really no benefits to going wireless with a pedal steel, and doing so presents an endless parade of significant negatives, including impaired frequency response, system latency, noise, distortion, dropped and interrupted signal, battery expense, extra gack to pack and maintain, and other constant and unecessary hassles.

It's a great question tho' 😎 the only really dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Norm Fletcher

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 8:47 pm    

I second the Lectrosonics wireless systems for performance. I lived in Albuquerque for 8 years and was near the factory, met some of the engineers. In my opinion, they make the best performance wireless equipment made. We used their stuff in the local live theaters--up to 25 mics at a time! No dropouts, no interference--AMAZING!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2022 6:47 am    

Can't see any advantage for a wireless pedal steel -- or non-pedal steel for that matter. Like having a wireless B3 -- what's the point?

As a guy who doubled on mouth organ, earlier this century I purchased a used wireless SM58 setup on the cheap from a community center that was upgrading its sound system. The wireless harmonica mic may be the best gear investment I've ever made. Not my favorite sounding harp mic, but eliminating the cable more than makes up for any shortcomings during live performances, especially on stages only slightly larger than a postage stamp.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 7:16 am    

Many have asked in this (old) thread what is the point of the wireless system for pedal steel. I can tell you why I would like it. I don't (currently) play out but I have a lot of different steels set up in my practice room. A couple of Pedal Steels, more than a couple of lap and console straight steels. Dealing with cables is a PITA! I play through a Kemper so the volume pedal isn't part of the signal chain. It is connected directly to the kemper. The value of the wireless system for me is the ease of use in moving from one steel to the next. I can just plug in the transmitter on whatever steel I want to play and go. No cables to drag, no steels to swap in and out Not having cables and being able to play where ever I want to set up the steel is a huge plus for me.

I was actually coming searching for recommendations when I saw this thread.

Nathan Guilford

Oklahoma City
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2022 7:24 am    

I keep hoping that they'll figure out a way to minimize the delay on B/T headphones so we can use them as stage monitors. That'll be a game changer for wireless monitoring, I think.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 7:14 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Smile

Yeah, kinda like having a pocket flashlight with a wireless remote. Laughing