The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Manny's Music NYC
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 4:29 am    

Henry Goldrich,the longtime owner of Manny’s Music, the Midtown Manhattan store favored by Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and other musicians searching for equipment has died at 88.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 4:51 am    

Spent a lot of money in that place.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:10 am    

Bummer,I've known Henry since I was 14years old,Henry showed me how to set up my first steel guitar,A very nice guy,along with his son?Stuart.I cut school a lot and hung out at Mannys,Condolences to the Goodrich family.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:42 am    

Henry was always dressed in a suit and tie and greeted everyone by the door. I'll never forget how that affected me as a 13 yr old kid entering Manny's for the 1st time in 1966. RIP Sir.. I loved everything about that place.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 12:06 pm    

Nice obit here in the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/04/nyregion/henry-goldrich-dead.html

Funny thing if you read down where he was annoyed that Pete Townshend trashed so many guitars, a friend of mine asked that question of Les Paul once, and Les said it didn't bother him, since every time he did that, he had to buy another new one Smile

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 10:46 am    

Henry treated me like he knew me when I first came to the store as a kid of 16...My eyes were as big as donuts looking around the store...He gave me a nickel tour....So sad to hear of his passing

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 12:40 am    

As a young teen, me and my bandmate friends took the train from Westport Ct to NYC, Grand Central, probably once a month. We hung out on 48th Street for hours . Henry ( Manny's) was always around talking with everyone and he treated us like he knew us forever. Over the many years to follow I purchased many guitars and amps from Henry . My older brother took me to Mannys when I was maybe 13 , just starting to play guitar, it was the initial store with the guitar room upstairs. That was the 1st time I met Henry. Last I saw him was maybe late 80's I went to purchase a Sunburst ES-335...he didn't have one ! Henry was an icon , its like he owned 48th street. It was an iconic time , it can never be repeated. Henry made his mark.

RIP Henry

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 5:17 am    

Playing guitar with Oliver got me acquainted with Manny's--and Henry and Stuart. We bought all our Guild equipment (including amps) there.

One day in 1971 I saw a Sho-Bud in the left window, an Emmons in the right window. I had no clue about either one but ended up buying the one in the right window. That was my introduction to steel guitar madness, which continues to this day.