The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  AVAILABLE NOW! Paul Franklin's West Coast Country
John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 11:13 am    

AVAILABLE NOW: West Coast Country

Paul's note-for-note breakdowns of his intros and solos on the "Bakersfield" album.

An in-depth study of the West Coast styles of pedal steel legends like the pioneering Ralph Mooney and all of the artists and players that created the '60's California Country sound.

This stand-alone lifetime access course is complete with custom backing tracks to practice with and lots of tips on style, tone, and techniques for getting that great Bakersfield Pedal Steel Sound.

Out Now!

YouTube Teaser

Last edited by John Spaulding on 8 Jul 2021 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Edward Efira

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 5:37 pm    

Cant wait Very Happy

Josh Moss

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 7:23 am    

Looking forward to this!
Fender Silverface Twin
Peavey Nashville 400

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 8:17 pm    

This will be an amazing course. Anyone that's heard the Bakersfield album knows how great the steel parts are on that record. It's a wonderful opportunity to learn one of the most classic styles of pedal steel playing.

Franklin

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 5:58 am    

West Coast Country launched Monday...I am so proud to present this complete approach for our next generations to enjoy.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 6:32 am    

I just got a look at the new course. Just the intro and discussion of pick and padal technique is worth it's weight in gold. I'm 67 years old and am feeling as excited as i did when i first started playing. this is a style that I never bothered to master. I can only imagine what kind of player I'd of been had I learned this style forty years ago. To be able to have this info is priceless.

disclaimer ( I have courses on Modern Music Masters but would still stand by my words if I didn't)

John Castelletti

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2021 10:37 am    

Franklin wrote:
West Coast Country launched Monday...I am so proud to present this complete approach for our next generations to enjoy.

Its awesome, I love this course. Thank you Paul for being so generous with what you have learned along the way.

Franklin

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2021 5:06 am    

Thanks for the great comments!

I am glad to hear so many are enjoying this course... Teaching not only the notes in their correct positions, but including the emotional nuances within the styles I used to record Bakersfield was long overdue...The emotion for each note phrase to capture the key element for expressing the style is shown...This was a long overdue course and I meant to do this about 5 years ago.

Mooney does not get the credit he deserves for inspiring Day, Hughey, Ruggs, Drake, Buddy, and others to alter their directions..The greats called him a monster player..Moon's contributions into the aggressive side of playing the instrument had an effect on everyone listening to those early Owens and Haggard hits. Ralph Mooney was a true pioneer.

In todays world, I am still recording because I learned what's contained in the West Coast Country course early on. And without a doubt I know anyone can learn more than just the notes of a solo..It just takes exploring the emotional side of the steel parts using focused practice. Its so important for everyones journey to capture the nuanced elements heard on various sessions...There is so much to gain from learning exactly how these strings in the style are manipulated by the pick attack and the pedaling. This is done so the steel can be expressed emotionally. The secret to capturing the right tones is not in moving the right hand back to the bridge although that increases the highs...The styles are not just highs, it takes much more to accomplish the tones.

Hope everyone enjoys their journey into mastering this style...I sure did. My solos on "Don't Rock the Jukebox" and "Walk Of Life" were composed using my west coast influences. It is so much fun to play this way.

Paul

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2021 10:34 am    

Amazing resource! Thank you Paul Franklin for sharing your talents. Visited your Dad's home/shop when I was at Jeff's school and you were at the school as well.. many moons ago.. your Dad showed us some video of your Brother playing lead guitar with the Kendall's I believe.. dating myself Smile