The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Colored Nylon Tuners
William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 6:56 am    

Does anybody know where I can get some of those red/green colored nylon tuners like Doug Earnest uses on the Zum Encore models? I assume these are standard size for any manufacturer and I can use them on a Mullen?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 7:47 am    

Just color the white ones with a felt tip marker. Very Happy
Erv

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 9:10 am    

PUll rods come in different sizes from different builders so do the nuts. And like Erv says, green and red magic markers.

https://psgparts.com/searchresults.sc

type "Pull rod nut" in search box

[EDIT to clarify] by different sizes, i mean different size inner diameter holes for the pull rods, one tuning wrench should fit all

Last edited by Gene Tani on 20 Feb 2021 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 9:45 am    

My goal is to find somewhere to buy professionally made colored ones like what came with my Zum Encore. There is already a thread from years back describing "homemade" methods including markers and Ritz dye. I am not interested in sharpie markers or tie dye. I am just trying to find a good quality colored nylon tuner that can be purchased that way.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 10:14 am    

Instead of looking for trivia rather spend time practicing and playing!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 11:16 am    

All the colored tuning nuts I've seen were "homemade" by one method or the other.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 11:17 am    

Rit dye, lasts forever, super easy

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 11:33 am    

Wishing you good luck finding these things ready to go out of the package. Unless Mullen supplies colored nuts, I dunno where you could get them. Mullen nylons are 1/2 in. IIRC and they use an aluminum spacer in combination, so even if you find them in colors, you'd probably have to re-size them to fit your Mullen.

I'm thinking that even builders have to dye or color the translucent stock anyway....but good luck. Let us know if you come up with something.

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 11:40 am    

Nylon is extremely hydrophilic (water-absorbing), so water based dyes like RIT fabric dyes work beautifully. They come in gazillion colors, plus you can mix them and create your own if desired.

https://www.ritdye.com/type/all-purpose-dye/

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 12:56 pm    

Jerry you seem to know the details of the Mullens. What would help me a lot while I'm at this is to get those aluminum spacers in a very slightly smaller diameter than what I have on there now. I have 3 pull rods on the same changer that are crammed so close together that the tuner tool won't go in there without prying them apart with a screwdriver. Looks like if that aluminum spacer was a little smaller in diameter, the rods would be able to separate a little more. Do you know if these aluminum spacers are just common hardware that can be bought online in various sizes?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 1:31 pm    

William, I have owned 3 or 4 Mullen guitars, but I don't have one at the moment. In my assortment of parts I believe I have a small section of rod and one of the spacers. If I'm dealing with the correct parts, the pull rod is 1/8" and so the spacer is the same i.d. with what measures as best as I can with my caliper, 11/64.

That doesn't leave much thickness for the wall. Anything thinner would be likely to mushroom out against the finger with use.
I once bought an assortment of alum spacers from radio shack, but I dunno if they still offer them as there's not one around here anymore.

So much for that, but I don't believe that is your problem nor that it will help your issue. When you are using all 3 positions in the scissors, you are just going to be cramped.

What you need to do is try and put bends in the pull rods on the other side before they come through the changer. Try to make them all straight, or at 90° to the finger at idle, at the end where the nylon tuner goes on. You might be able to do this by just pulling or pushing on the pull rods without removing them.

This can be challenging, but it's doable. Still, it's going to be cramped using all 3 holes.

Sorry, I just don't have a better suggestion for you. Best of luck.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 1:47 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Just color the white ones with a felt tip marker. Very Happy
Erv

Sharpies are your friends.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 1:54 pm    

William Carter wrote:
My goal is to find somewhere to buy professionally made colored ones like what came with my Zum Encore. There is already a thread from years back describing "homemade" methods including markers and Ritz dye. I am not interested in sharpie markers or tie dye. I am just trying to find a good quality colored nylon tuner that can be purchased that way.

I don't think you'll find a ready source. I think many of the builders dye their own nylons. I realize you are new to the PSG world, but most of the stuff in our world is custom stuff. It's not like you can walk into Guitar Center and find what you need. Good luck!

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 1:57 pm    

William Carter wrote:
Jerry you seem to know the details of the Mullen. What would help me a lot while I'm at this is to get those aluminum spacers in a very slightly smaller diameter than what I have on there now. I have 3 pull rods on the same changer that are crammed so close together that the tuner tool won't go in there without prying them apart with a screwdriver. Looks like if that aluminum spacer was a little smaller in diameter, the rods would be able to separate a little more. Do you know if these aluminum spacers are just common hardware that can be bought online in various sizes?

I wouldn't mess with them. If there is not a problem, don't try to fix what ain't broken.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 2:00 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
William, I have owned 3 or 4 Mullen guitars, but I don't have one at the moment. In my assortment of parts I believe I have a small section of rod and one of the spacers. If I'm dealing with the correct parts, the pull rod is 1/8" and so the spacer is the same i.d. with what measures as best as I can with my caliper, 11/64.

That doesn't leave much thickness for the wall. Anything thinner would be likely to mushroom out against the finger with use.
I once bought an assortment of alum spacers from radio shack, but I dunno if they still offer them as there's not one around here anymore.

So much for that, but I don't believe that is your problem nor that it will help your issue. When you are using all 3 positions in the scissors, you are just going to be cramped.

What you need to do is try and put bends in the pull rods on the other side before they come through the changer. Try to make them all straight, or at 90° to the finger at idle, at the end where the nylon tuner goes on. You might be able to do this by just pulling or pushing on the pull rods without removing them.

This can be challenging, but it's doable. Still, it's going to be cramped using all 3 holes.

Sorry, I just don't have a better suggestion for you. Best of luck.

The Royal Precision i had was 3/32" rods, so I imagine G2's might be the same. There were no spacers on my RP.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 2:24 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

I wouldn't mess with them. If there is not a problem, don't try to fix what ain't broken.

If not being able to fit a tuning tool in there to get the thing in tune ain't broken, then what is?

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 2:31 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I realize you are new to the PSG world, but most of the stuff in our world is custom stuff. It's not like you can walk into Guitar Center and find what you need. Good luck!

I'm not that new to the PSG world, but when I started with a Carter Started back in 2007 or so, I didn't have money for internet, or to pay to fix anything the way it was supposed to be. I sure didn't have money for a nice new Mullen 12 string universal. Now that I can have nice things, I am very new to the whole U12 concept, and I didn't know before I bought one that packing all those mechanics into a PSG cabinet came with its own set of issues that aren't as evident to a E9 or double neck player. The Carter starter had very few pulls, so nothing was crammed. The Zum Encore is also not near as packed full of rods and bell cranks, etc. compared to a universal. This whole deal has been a learning experience.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 2:39 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
The Royal Precision i had was 3/32" rods, so I imagine G2's might be the same. There were no spacers on my RP.

You may be right.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 2:41 pm    

The spacers are a great innovation. Makes tuning a lot smoother compared to rubbing up against the changer holes.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 3:57 pm    

Hi William. I have G2 U12 and, like you, some of the holes are pretty loaded and tight. When I need to adjust them I'll step on the pedal or lever and that will recess the rod enough to get the tuning wrench on it. The wrench
I use looks to have a slightly thinner wall (am told this tool came from Emmons) than the more standard one on the right. I can get both to work if need be by doing what I mentioned above.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 4:19 pm    

One thing that might help a little (if I'm getting you right)is something Bobby D. Jones recently told me. He was saying to go around the ends of each hex and slightly round off the end edges with a file or something. He was telling me the wrench will just slide right on there a lot easier. It seems like that would help if they were real close together.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 4:47 pm    

Why not ask Doug how he colors them? I bet it's with a Sharpie. He's been very helpful when I contacted him. I'm surprised he hasn't responded to this post. Busy building guitars I guess. Also I've found tuning wrenches to not be very uniform.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 4:49 pm    

I had emailed Doug earlier, but wasn't sure if he actively checked the forum so I went ahead and posted this. Doug did get back with me and told me what I need to know.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 8:08 pm    

William Carter wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
I realize you are new to the PSG world, but most of the stuff in our world is custom stuff. It's not like you can walk into Guitar Center and find what you need. Good luck!

I'm not that new to the PSG world, but when I started with a Carter Started back in 2007 or so, I didn't have money for internet, or to pay to fix anything the way it was supposed to be. I sure didn't have money for a nice new Mullen 12 string universal. Now that I can have nice things, I am very new to the whole U12 concept, and I didn't know before I bought one that packing all those mechanics into a PSG cabinet came with its own set of issues that aren't as evident to a E9 or double neck player. The Carter starter had very few pulls, so nothing was crammed. The Zum Encore is also not near as packed full of rods and bell cranks, etc. compared to a universal. This whole deal has been a learning experience.

My apologies. Didn't know your background. Like Jim B, I use a tuning wrench similar to the t-handle one in his pic. Mine came with a Williams guitar I used to have. I'm not a big fan of the round one in his pic that most players use. You might want to contact Williams and see if you can get one. I had troubles using the round one on my Carter D10 that is loaded up (8p/9k). The t-handled one worked better.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2021 11:55 pm    

I've been meaning to dremel down the outer diameter tip of a tunign wrench to approximate the thinner walled one shown above.

Here's the Williams one https://www.williamsguitarcompany.com/store_accessories.html

William C: there was a thread about Mullen 12's, somebody likened all the pulls going into changer to a mangrove swamp (Uni, ext E9 doesn't seem so crowded)